ADVERTISEMENT

Home opener UK vs XU...

Well, base running and strikeouts continue to haunt Kentucky baseball this season. UK struck out 13 times tonight. Inexcusable.

Have to be a bit frustrated by this loss considering that Florida State put up 23 against them in three games and only gave up 4 runs. UK can't manage more than 2 and they strike out 13 times, many against freshmen pitchers, all of which I think were underclassmen, and they give up just one less run in one game than what FSU gave up in 3 total.

Very poor execution tonight. Something that we have seen to much of early in the season. I will put a lot of that on a mostly inexperienced group once you move off the mound. The strikeouts are a major concern though. Should have never lost this game tonight.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
Johnson is squaring, but pulls back to take ball one. An inside pitch hits Johnson's bat as he tries to sac bunt on an inside pitch, and he tries get out of the way for strike one. He swings at the second strike before looking at one outside. He then looks at strike three in the bottom of the zone. Terrible inning for Johnson.
Lost the in b9th...Pop should have been swinging(experience) ...Collett & U swinging for the fence.

Lost the in b9th...Pop should have been swinging(experience) ...Collett & U swinging for the fence.

Well, the weird thing to me is that Pompey was starting off swinging and even took a full swing before missing and going to bunt. So, why change it up? Still, it make some sense to have a couple of chances to actually get the ball in the air, or to get a run in with a hit. Odds are typically in our favor in that, and even more so with the bases loaded.

Sounds like Pompey may have decided to do that on his own, but even if it was a coaches decision the team was still in a great position to win.

Question for me is was the offensive output and struggles a sign of things to come? Lost a ton

Tough break tonight on the baseball front. Losing mid week games seemed to be a hallmark of the Henderson era. Hopefully Mingione can use this early experience as a motivator for these guys. Gotta bring the sticks midweek too.

Coach Ming is playing too many guys. I realized that he wants to look as many players as possible but not when the game is in doubt. It is hard for a freshman to come off the bench and deliver in clutch situations.

Tough break tonight on the baseball front. Losing mid week games seemed to be a hallmark of the Henderson era. Hopefully Mingione can use this early experience as a motivator for these guys. Gotta bring the sticks midweek too.

Well to be fair we were playing a solid team. This wasn't a loss I wanted, but at least it was to a team that made the tournament a year ago.

Coach Ming is playing too many guys. I realized that he wants to look as many players as possible but not when the game is in doubt. It is hard for a freshman to come off the bench and deliver in clutch situations.

I have to respectfully disagree. We are relatively young and we have to find and develop pinch hitters. Right now none of them have quality experience at this level. They have to grow up and now is the time to get the needed experience.

I wasn't sure what Xaviers outlook was for this season

Well considering the number of freshmen they pitched yesterday, and the fact that they have a first year head coach, I have to imagine that they didn't have the strongest outlook. Still, they are a solid program that knows how to compete.

Well, base running and strikeouts continue to haunt Kentucky baseball this season. UK struck out 13 times tonight. Inexcusable.
The strikeouts are a problem. Their kids made some quality pitches, but we've got to be better. Defensive details hurt us tonight. Not doing the little things. Passed ball in the first probably cost us a run. And RJ fumbling the ball to allow the double to be stretched to three bases was bad. Then he threw offline on the shallow sac fly, and Squires couldn't make the play. Details have to get cleaned up. I also thought Pompey gave up on a ball in foul territory in the late innings. Rodriguez tried for it but that was Pomp's ball all the way.

I love Trey Dawson at shortstop. That dude is smooth. I liked the way we executed bunts (except for RJ in the 10th). And TJ brings excitement to the dish every time he steps in the box. Brad was ok. Ramsey was great. Like you said, Xavier is a quality team. Not a bad loss. Now hopefully we can get some games in this weekend, in between storms.

Last edited:
So far we r good pitch , but not much hitting. Mingione will have to develop the offense as we go along. Schedule soon to get much tougher

So far we r good pitch , but not much hitting. Mingione will have to develop the offense as we go along. Schedule soon to get much tougher
Yep - would feel much better and much more understanding if our pitching got lit up (5th game in 5 days)...but the offense was the let down.

Silver lining is there were plenty of baserunners.

The strikeouts are a problem. Their kids made some quality pitches, but we've got to be better. Defensive details hurt us tonight. Not doing the little things. Passed ball in the first probably cost us a run. And RJ fumbling the ball to allow the double to be stretched to three bases was bad. Then he threw offline on the shallow sac fly, and Squires couldn't make the play. Details have to get cleaned up. I also thought Pompey gave up on a ball in foul territory in the late innings. Rodriguez tried for it but that was Pomp's ball all the way.

I love Trey Dawson at shortstop. That dude is smooth. I liked the way we executed bunts (except for RJ in the 10th). And TJ brings excitement to the dish every time he steps in the box. Brad was ok. Ramsey was great. Like you said, Xavier is a quality team. Not a bad loss. Now hopefully we can get some games in this weekend, in between storms.

Excellent points. It's early in the season and with all the rain and cold weather I imagine these guys havent been outside much. So, hopefully with some nice weather they will kind of start to get things cleaned up.

Reactions: CliffDweller25
I think the preseason hype and winning the first 4 games,big home crowd,played a big part in the missed oppertunities to win the game. Overlooked Xavier.

I got "Gabriel'ed" last night. I was listening online and remember the 6th inning but fell asleep and woke up with 1 down in the 10th. Have to just look through the play by play for details.

I got "Gabriel'ed" last night. I was listening online and remember the 6th inning but fell asleep and woke up with 1 down in the 10th. Have to just look through the play by play for details.

On a personal basis, he is a real nice guy. As a play by play announcer, he is the most boring guy I ever listened to.

On a personal basis, he is a real nice guy. As a play by play announcer, he is the most boring guy I ever listened to.
I believe it. In his defense, I was pretty darn tired from chasing a toddler most of the day. I'm so glad I had my own children when I was young enough to have the energy for it.

That was the game in a nutshell.......defense wins games, offense sells tickets. Need solid defense to get to Omaha.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT