ADVERTISEMENT

Hmmmm that Oats guy huh

Truthfully, RR is always chasing the flavor of the month. When was the last time anyone mentioned Musselman? A year ago, he was probably top 3 on everyone's list and then after that season he was the talk of the board for all the portal players he was bringing in while Cal was doing very little. Now, his name rarely gets mentioned.

For me, the jury is still out on Oats. But, I'm not sure he is a realistic candidate at this point anyway due to the contract that he just signed so it really is purely theoretical.
Don't speak for 'everyone'. I never wanted Eric Musselman in Lexington whatsoever. I prefer to have someone that Kentucky won't have to be replacing within 10 years unlike Musselman who will be 60 this year without a track record of success worthy of Kentucky Basketball. Like I said, people will always find any reason why a coach will never get hired here. It was the Brandon Miller situation last year. Some people expect everyone to have 2 National Championships and 500 wins before being considered a viable option for the Kentucky job. Then its a contract while it has been reported Kentucky could have came up with more money than the buyout on Oats to ditch Cal should that have been the direction they chose to go in. Perhaps this is what they are doing, letting both lower after one more year if things don't work out next year. Only those on the inside in the athletic administration and boosters truly know what went on. Anything else is just people's opinions and pure speculation.

The flip side would be that he’s doing it with Bama level basketball talent. They kinda have to run hot and cold. Maybe a blue blood level of recruiting gives him more of a floor.

Didn’t like the whole gun thing of course, but it’s clear he can coach.
He has had some of the very best transfers and, freshman recruits. Last year, arguably the best player in the nation. He is doing a great job but you cant use the less talent argument. Alabama has great talent. Brandon Miller was sensational in his only year.

I’m glad he is. We may need to hire him in 12 months. I’d feel better about it if he had a final 4

Oats just signed an extension that would require that a team pay 18 million to Alabama if they want to hire Oats. Presumably Alabama would pay that same amount if they were to fire him, which seems unlikely in the short term.

Calls Cal’s contract requires us to pay him $33 million to fire him this year, which is why we didn’t. $25 million next year. If he leaves for another job on his own accord, UK is owed nothing. Mitch is a shrewd negotiator lol.
What I thought. Mitch is an idiot. Such a one sided deal.

Don't speak for 'everyone'. I never wanted Eric Musselman in Lexington whatsoever. I prefer to have someone that Kentucky won't have to be replacing within 10 years unlike Musselman who will be 60 this year without a track record of success worthy of Kentucky Basketball. Like I said, people will always find any reason why a coach will never get hired here. It was the Brandon Miller situation last year. Some people expect everyone to have 2 National Championships and 500 wins before being considered a viable option for the Kentucky job. Then its a contract while it has been reported Kentucky could have came up with more money than the buyout on Oats to ditch Cal should that have been the direction they chose to go in. Perhaps this is what they are doing, letting both lower after one more year if things don't work out next year. Only those on the inside in the athletic administration and boosters truly know what went on. Anything else is just people's opinions and pure speculation.

For the record, I am cheering for Bama to win it all.

Reactions: Cawood86
Don’t you guys know Eli capaluto went to Alabama? He would never allow his ad to poach a bama guy. He’s another anchor on the sinking ship a bama guy running the school. Him and Barney are complicit in the failure of our program neither are Kentucky guys with zero vested interest in our state. They only want $$$$$!!!

Skincare Serum GIF by FaceTory
Oats Ingredient GIF by Brandt Zwieback
200.gif

I mean his path was Charleston, Grand Canyon and Clemson lol. UNC was a paper tiger inflated by a bad ACC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT