ADVERTISEMENT

Hmm. DJ Wagner's high school coach and former pro Brunson replacing KP with Knicks

The problem is cal has lost Cunningham, wiseman, sharpe and now DJ when they were all locked to Uk. It’s a theme now not a trend
Bc Cal isn't willing to sell the farm to get these kids. OKie St. hired Cade's brother, Sharpe was at UK so that's a whole different story, Wiseman had a FedEx truck essentially back up into his pockets, and UL Hired Milt, who they will let go after DJ plays his one season. Ppl look at it as a negative. I look at it as Cal actually having some sort of morals and not caving to hiring relatives for one year. It is what it is. We are going to be a top 5 program next year, but ppl on this board will continuously find stuff to bitch about. Not directed at you, just in general. Let's try to keep everything in perspective. ( cough cough @drainthatub )

Last edited:
It’s one player and I don’t think the UK program will shut down over losing one player that’s only going to be in college for one season
I do agree with you. But it does seem we’ve heard, for the last few years, how the 23 class was going be a monster for UK- and Wagner was the main piece to it. Losing him to UL would be a kick in the nuts.

Bc Cal isn't willing to sell the farm to get these kids. OKie St. hired Cade's brother, Sharpe was at UK so that's a whole different story, Wiseman had a FedEx truck essentially back up into his pockets, and UL Hired Milt, who they will let go after DJ plays his one season. Ppl look at it as a negative. I look at it as Cal actually having some sort of morals and not caving to hiring relatives for one year. It is what it is. We are going to be a top 5 program next year, but ppl on this board will continuously find stuff to bitch about. Not directed at you, just in general. Let's try to keep everything in perspective. ( cough cough @drainthatub )

The lion's share of the malcontents here never even attended UK and have ZERO pride for their school (other than wanting to get in the faces of their co-workers and beat their chest because the team they cheer for won), because it isn't even really their school. Nothing wrong with not going to college or UK, but that fact stands.

Reactions: MWes11
Your UK coaching pitch can’t be “I’m here to get the best of the best” and then not get them. Cal pigeon holed himself with that and like it or not the best players are the best way to win in his system. You can’t just lose it top recruits 4 years running and point to others taking them and be like “oh well”, not how it works here

Your UK coaching pitch can’t be “I’m here to get the best of the best” and then not get them. Cal pigeon holed himself with that and like it or not the best players are the best way to win in his system. You can’t just lose it top recruits 4 years running and point to others taking them and be like “oh well”, not how it works here
He has to adjust, and he is. Agree, that is why he is bringing back the best player in college basketball from last year, and one of the top upperclass PGs to run the show. Instead of winning the freshman recruiting battle, he seems to have convinced players to stay who should actually be staying (Oscar/Toppin), instead of telling them to chase the money, no matter what. Brought in the top shooter from last year's portal in Frederick (who unfortunately couldn't play) and another top scoring wing in Reeves. Also brought in two Freshman difference makers who will contribute right away.

I'm still on the bandwagon and I know I'm in the minority. If another flame out early this year, my mindset will change. I will go into next season being optimistic.

I understand your point. Just difference of opinions on how to get value besides best recruiting class. But, have a great wknd, brother. Signing off for the wknd.

The problem is cal has lost Cunningham, wiseman, sharpe and now DJ when they were all locked to Uk. It’s a theme now not a trend
Other than Sharpe, who he didn't lose, the theme is other programs hiring family or paying the players expenses. Are you so blinded by hate you can't see that? By the way last I looked DJ was uncommitted despite UL's antics.

Reactions: chroix
He didn't lose Sharpe?I must have missed the games he played for UK.
And that equates to Cal "losing" Sharpe. You obviously miss a lot. The poster was saying we lost recruits to other programs which we clearly did not do with Sharpe.

Another guy we’ll lose bc a member of their inside circle gets hired at the opposing team. Dont blame Cal for that, although wouldnt mind him playing a little dirty and doing the same for a ‘cant miss prospect.’ Think theres enough quality guards to mitigate losing out on DJ but ill hate to see him at UL.

And that equates to Cal "losing" Sharpe. You obviously miss a lot. The poster was saying we lost recruits to other programs which we clearly did not do with Sharpe.
No this was worse.We have the first team in history with a player who chose not to playBut I'm sure you were good with it.

• Sad
Reactions: shaudyshaud
Other than Sharpe, who he didn't lose, the theme is other programs hiring family or paying the players expenses. Are you so blinded by hate you can't see that? By the way last I looked DJ was uncommitted despite UL's antics.
… but he gets paid 10M a year to pull these guys. Idc I f he sells the farm and the cow every year and rinses and repeats if that’s the name of the game it is what it is.

It’s one player and I don’t think the UK program will shut down over losing one player that’s only going to be in college for one season
You guys say this every time we lose an elite guy, and we haven't been to a Final Four since we stopped getting this type of player.

DJ was a UK lock, just like Wiseman, just like Sharpe.

None of them will play here. This stuff is having an enormously detrimental impact on Kentucky basketball.

Another guy we’ll lose bc a member of their inside circle gets hired at the opposing team. Dont blame Cal for that, although wouldnt mind him playing a little dirty and doing the same for a ‘cant miss prospect.’ Think theres enough quality guards to mitigate losing out on DJ but ill hate to see him at UL.
You don't blame Cal for failing to be innovative anymore? Everything OK State did with Cunningham, Cal could have also done. The same is true in the Wagner sweepstakes.

He was a day-late, dollar-short with Wiseman, with Tatum, with Jaylen Brown, with Reddish, with Miles Bridges, etc.

He's been staying in his lane since WWW left us, and that's why we've been a shadow of our former selves in that span. Cal's like the gunslinger who can't do anything without his pistols, and West/Nike were his pistols early on.

Reactions: CarolinaCatsFan
DJ isn’t coming to UK, and we all need to just come to grips with that. I will put money on us having a better overall class than UL. DJ is a hell of a player, but he isn’t going to be a John Wall type of impact player for them

DJ isn’t coming to UK, and we all need to just come to grips with that. I will put money on us having a better overall class than UL. DJ is a hell of a player, but he isn’t going to be a John Wall type of impact player for them
Louisville is about to go on probation. If UK finishes with a better record than them, does it really matter since Louisville is going to be scraping the bottom of the barrel?

And Wagner's a top 3 pick. We need a kid like him, but once again, Cal is going to utterly fail with a player once considered a "lock."

Reactions: bnewt
Those "antics" work.

Michigan State signed all of Miles Bridges pals to get him and it worked.

OK State hired Cunningham's brother, and it worked.

Memphis hired Penny, and it worked in getting Wiseman.

Duke used Nike to give the hook-up to Tatum and Bagley and it worked.

Louisville is now doing it with Wagner. Kenny Payne, Cal's former protege, is schooling his former boss at the game Cal supposedly mastered a decade ago.

While our fans keep hanging "best ethics" banners in Rupp, the other programs are schooling Calipari at the recruiting game, and it's costing us shots at titles.

Those "antics" work.

Michigan State signed all of Miles Bridges pals to get him and it worked.

OK State hired Cunningham's brother, and it worked.

Memphis hired Penny, and it worked in getting Wiseman.

Duke used Nike to give the hook-up to Tatum and Bagley and it worked.

Louisville is now doing it with Wagner. Kenny Payne, Cal's former protege, is schooling his former boss at the game Cal supposedly mastered a decade ago.

While our fans keep hanging "best ethics" banners in Rupp, the other programs are schooling Calipari at the recruiting game, and it's costing us shots at titles.
Going back much further in time, perhaps the most successful use of this tactic ever was when Larry Brown hired Danny Manning‘s father ….who at the time was a truck driver with no coaching experience …to be his assistant coach.

Ole Danny ended up leading Kansas to two final fours and a national championship. That hire was money very well invested.

It’s this simple . Cal biggest strength is clearly his recruiting over his coaching and he isn’t killing in that department like we have needed him to .

This is so overblown. We were set up good for a huge run before Covid hit and had a great team that year that was peaking. The next year is Covid with no fans in the stands. OK, if one blindly hates Cal ( I know you don't) the fake outrage of 9-16 will never die. Last year we were set up GREAT. He had no idea Fredericks wouldn't play and Ty Ty would get hurt. Look at that roster. What else do you want from the man? He did EXACTLY what malcontents here wanted him to do......assemble a team of veterans. So throw out Covid year and Cal has put great teams together. But this board full of rival fans and UK fans that hate life in general want to make it look like the program is being destroyed. Utter nonsense.

This is so overblown. We were set up good for a huge run before Covid hit and had a great team that year that was peaking. The next year is Covid with no fans in the stands. OK, if one blindly hates Cal ( I know you don't) the fake outrage of 9-16 will never die. Last year we were set up GREAT. He had no idea Fredericks wouldn't play and Ty Ty would get hurt. Look at that roster. What else do you want from the man? He did EXACTLY what malcontents here wanted him to do......assemble a team of veterans. So throw out Covid year and Cal has put great teams together. But this board full of rival fans and UK fans that hate life in general want to make it look like the program is being destroyed. Utter nonsense.
12 years and he's missed the tourney two times, lost in the 1st round once, lost in the second round once, and lost in the Sweet Sixteen once.

If you don't count the Covid year:

1. He's missed the tournament 18% of the time.
2. He's either missed the tournament or lost in the first weekend 36% of the time.
3. He's missed the tourney or lost before the Elite Eight 46% of the time.
4. In the six years since 2015 (omitting 2020 Covid year), he's been bounced before the Elite Eight 67% of the time.

The program's not "being destroyed", but we're far from the gold standard. Duke has passed us. So has Kansas. UNC might pass us again soon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT