ADVERTISEMENT

Hickman to Gonzaga

Also probably a little homesick as well. Although I don’t see him playing much at Gonzaga.
I heard homesickness was why he de-committed from UK. From that perspective, Gonzaga makes sense since I think he's from Seattle. Plus Washington is a disaster right now. The Zags guard rotation is pretty stacked. They don't just have Sallis and Nembhard who have been mentioned, but also brought in this transfer from Iowa State (Rasir Bolton) who averaged 15.5 PPG this past season at ISU. Although going by Bolton's assist to TO ratio, he's likely more of a '2' or a combo guard. With that in mind, I could maybe see Hickman getting PT as a backup point guard before moving into a starting role there.

Gonzaga is for everybody, Final Four here they come. Let's line up and play them next year. Maybe we can work up enough nerve to take on WKU

Reactions: Montana81
Got several in here that think Few can’t win a title, but that is wrong. If you can make it to a title game, you can win it all.
Their 2017 and 2021 teams were legit, they didn't lose because they played in a weak conference, they lost to a hell of a uNC team in 17 and ran into a buzzsaw last season.
Nobody was beating Baylor in that title game, they were hitting on all cylinders.

Got several in here that think Few can’t win a title, but that is wrong. If you can make it to a title game, you can win it all.
Their 2017 and 2021 teams were legit, they didn't lose because they played in a weak conference, they lost to a hell of a uNC team in 17 and ran into a buzzsaw last season.
Nobody was beating Baylor in that title game, they were hitting on all cylinders.
I don't agree with the sentiment that Few can't win a title, but until he does (if he ever does), he'll always have naysayers. People were saying Tony Bennett couldn't win a title at UVA until two years ago, some were doubting John Elway would ever win a Super Bowl, others doubted Dirk Nowitzki would ever win a title, Clayton Kershaw could win in the MLB playoffs, etc. Few needs to get over the hump like those players and coaches did to quiet his doubters.

Fully agree that Baylor was the best team in the country last season, and they showed it during the NCAA Tournament once they got their footing under them after the long COVID layoff they had in February. There were teams that would have given Baylor a better game on that day only because Gonzaga couldn't stop them defensively, but yeah, Baylor was beating anybody that night.

I don't agree with the sentiment that Few can't win a title, but until he does (if he ever does), he'll always have naysayers. People were saying Tony Bennett couldn't win a title at UVA until two years ago, some were doubting John Elway would ever win a Super Bowl, others doubted Dirk Nowitzki would ever win a title, Clayton Kershaw could win in the MLB playoffs, etc. Few needs to get over the hump like those players and coaches did to quiet his doubters.

Fully agree that Baylor was the best team in the country last season, and they showed it during the NCAA Tournament once they got their footing under them after the long COVID layoff they had in February. There were teams that would have given Baylor a better game on that day only because Gonzaga couldn't stop them defensively, but yeah, Baylor was beating anybody that night.
Yeah, I mean Gonzaga made it to two title games and both those teams were well equipped to win it all. They were undefeated last season and they played a very tough non conference schedule, so they more than proved their worth.

He picked the zags, he wanted to be closer to home, his glfaniky is in Washington. It’s probably legit...I would have had a hard time believing he backed out here to go to Auburn or Kansas...

Yeah, I mean Gonzaga made it to two title games and both those teams were well equipped to win it all. They were undefeated last season and they played a very tough non conference schedule, so they more than proved their worth.
I couldn't agree more.

Do you feel the same way about Cal's two title losses here at UK?

I couldn't agree more.

Do you feel the same way about Cal's two title losses here at UK?
Only had one team make the title game and lose and any team that has Julius Randle on it, can certainly win a title.

Reactions: STL_Cat
You are probably right, sad isn't it? Evansville probably isn't getting a game either
Southern Illinois got within like 9 points of the Cats a couple of years ago, so they will not be invited back to Rupp either, nor will Richmond. Calipari is going to run out of schools to play in the pre season if these no name schools, as many on here call them, keep beating the Cats or playing them tough.

Reactions: docholiday51
It will be interesting to see what Few can do with top notch talent, he always does well with with good players now he is getting some of the top names. Will he have some of the same problems other coaches have like playing time or attitudes only time will tell.

You are probably right, sad isn't it? Evansville probably isn't getting a game either
Southern Illinois got within
It will be interesting to see what Few can do with top notch talent, he always does well with with good players now he is getting some of the top names. Will he have some of the same problems other coaches have like playing time or attitudes only time will tell.
Few is very careful with who he recruits. He doesn't go after players that have bad attitudes. If you don't fit certain things, Few doesn't recruit you, that is why he only recruits certain 5 star players. Few and especially assistant coach Michaelson know how to judge talent. That is why they can take certain players that weren't even rated and turn them into the nations leading scorer and player of the year. That is why he took Wiltjer. He played him the way he should have been played and turned him into an all american. Few did not stick him out on the wing on defense trying to guard lightening quick 6'5'' players which really made him look bad like his other college coach did. It was like Wiltjer's other coach was trying to make him look bad.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
Southern Illinois got within

Few is very careful with who he recruits. He doesn't go after players that have bad attitudes. If you don't fit certain things, Few doesn't recruit you, that is why he only recruits certain 5 star players. Few and especially assistant coach Michaelson know how to judge talent. That is why they can take certain players that weren't even rated and turn them into the nations leading scorer and player of the year. That is why he took Wiltjer. He played him the way he should have been played and turned him into an all american. Few did not stick him out on the wing on defense trying to guard lightening quick 6'5'' players which really made him look bad like his other college coach did. It was like Wiltjer's other coach was trying to make him look bad.
I have no issue with Gonzaga or Mark Few, However, you mentioned that he doesn't take "bad attitudes" or "fits"---may I introduce you to the poison that is Rasir Bolton the transfer from Penn State and then Iowa State. His picture pops up when you type in team cancer. Guy is a hot mess on/off the court.

They didn’t poach shit. Notice we upgraded.

Did you used to be Frank? If so, you used to be one of my favorite posters? Did you hit your head or something? What happened to you? If not, disregard.

I like Frank still but you are 100% correct, his posting has changed. I don't think he hit his head at all...I just think he bailed on supporting Cal. A lot of people have changed their tune in between beginning of COVID and now.

Reactions: SosaUK87
I have no issue with Gonzaga or Mark Few, However, you mentioned that he doesn't take "bad attitudes" or "fits"---may I introduce you to the poison that is Rasir Bolton the transfer from Penn State and then Iowa State. His picture pops up when you type in team cancer. Guy is a hot mess on/off the court.
Not disagreeing about that guy but if there’s only example then aren’t you using the exception to prove the rule?

Not disagreeing about that guy but if there’s only example then aren’t you using the exception to prove the rule?
Can only speak on a player I have information on. Certainly they've had a few turds in the program as everyone does, but guy spoke on this process of evaluation, yet Bolton ended up out there. He's a clown who only cares about himself on/off the court.

If Bolton is what you say, he won't be on the team very long. Few will show him the door. I doubt he is an attitude problem if he was, Few would not have signed him. If Few runs him off, it will just be next man up. You probably don't believe it, but this Gonzaga team is more talented than last years version.

If Bolton is what you say, he won't be on the team very long. Few will show him the door. I doubt he is an attitude problem if he was, Few would not have signed him. If Few runs him off, it will just be next man up. You probably don't believe it, but this Gonzaga team is more talented than last years version.
I believe it in terms of physical talent on the upcoming Gonzaga team--and you have a defensive/rim protection presence you/few teams have had in Holmgren--Bolton is a snake though--but agree with your take-he'll either adapt or be sent packing.

Reactions: TheOtherGreatOne
That is pretty cool that you know a top college basketball player as close as you do. How long have you two known each other? Grammar school? high school? Even college?

Oh let me guess... instead you have watched him a few times and want to project the type of individual he is based on a couple games or him transferring two times... mind you one time was because his coach was a racist, and another time because he wanted to escape a garbage of a team in ISU....

That is pretty cool that you know a top college basketball player as close as you do. How long have you two known each other? Grammar school? high school? Even college?

Oh let me guess... instead you have watched him a few times and want to project the type of individual he is based on a couple games or him transferring two times... mind you one time was because his coach was a racist, and another time because he wanted to escape a garbage of a team in ISU....
Who would you rather play for sorry ass Iowa State, or the number 1 team in the nation. I trust coach Few. I believe he knows what he is doing, a whole lot more than you do.

I mean they may not win it all, but their team is pretty stacked have to admit...

Preseason National POY- Timme
#1 Recruit- Holmgren
2 other Burger Boys- Sallis and Hickman
Bolton- 3rd team all Big 12
Nembhard- One of best pg's in America..

They may flame out still but the talent is undeniable
You had me up until you proclaimed Nembhard one of the best PG's in America. I am not saying he is bad just not sure he is one of the best.

You had me up until you proclaimed Nembhard one of the best PG's in America. I am not saying he is bad just not sure he is one of the best.
Name another point guard that has led his team to 31 straight wins. I would say that would make Nenbhard one of the best college point guards in the country even if you don't think so

Name another point guard that has led his team to 31 straight wins. I would say that would make Nenbhard one of the best college point guards in the country even if you don't think so? means he was on a good team that played nobody even if you don't think so.
First if you think he was the only PG to lead a team to 31 straight wins you obviously don't even remember back to Andrew Harrison, Fred Van Fleet or Greg Anthony and that doesn't go back to the UCLA or San Francisco days of winning 88 and 60 games in a row.

Second, Why do you think your opinion of Nembhard is greater than anyone else's. You sound like a know it all when you say "I would say that would make Nenbhard one of the best college point guards in the country even if you don't think so". Your opinion matters no more or no less than mine. However your Gonzaga love knows no bounds. I mean every post about the Zags you come in guns blazing to defend their honor. Why don't you go over and post on their board if you love the Zags so much?

I mean they may not win it all, but their team is pretty stacked have to admit...

Preseason National POY- Timme
#1 Recruit- Holmgren
2 other Burger Boys- Sallis and Hickman
Bolton- 3rd team all Big 12
Nembhard- One of best pg's in America..

They may flame out still but the talent is undeniable
What are your parameters here? Because I mean, there are like 350+ starting point guards. So top 35 is like top 10%. If that’s where you’re setting the bar then yeah you could say hes one of the best. I don’t think he’s top 10 overall personally. Maybe not even top 20. Actually probably not too 20. Seems hes still living on his preseason hype from 2 years ago. He just hasn’t been all that great.

HMMMM 3 PT GUARDS ON THE ROSTER....SOMEONE IS NOT GOING TO BE HAPPY WITH THEIR PLAYING TIME. I GUESS YOU CAN ALWAYS TRANSFER AGAIN....😜😜😜😜😜
Gonzaga played 3 PGS last year. Suggs, nemhardt, and ayayi

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT