ADVERTISEMENT

Help Cutting Cable

TheBigBlueSpectacle

All-American
Gold Member
Sep 27, 2015
We’ve decided to cut cable but of course I have some minimums that must be met and was hoping I can do so without sacrifice.

GOTTA HAVE
UK football and basketball games plus bowl games etc
Some NFL games, Titans preferably
Some Atlanta Braves games especially playoffs

she doesn’t watch much other than typical white girl stuff: the voice etc

i already have Netflix, Disney plus and Amazon prime. I have HBO Max but would lose it when I cut cable Thinking I can add a combo of a few other things through a single box and cut the chord if I do it right

TWO MORE QUESTIONS:
Can you “DVR” to watch later or rewatch something like you can with cable box?

also what streaming hardware do you recommend? ROKU? Apple TV? I have an Apple TV but it’s so old I can’t get some of my apps to stream without going through my phone.

Last edited:
I have a Roku for equipment($25-100 upfront cost only) and YouTube TV($70 per month with local channels).

I have watched all UK games that are on TV. There are rumors the first football game will be online only, so not available on this or standard cable. Every other game will be on there though.

NFL, with all things, you will get whatever is played on your local channels. Blackout regions is still a thing. They do offer NFL RedZone for extra money.

MLB Playoffs will be on there. YtTv has all the channels the MLB nationally televised games are on, so should be the same as regular cable. You can also get MLB.TV for $65 which shows all out of market games.

YtTv has a DVR feature. It doesn't download it like a standard DVR, so you have to be online to stream it. It saves stuff for 9 months.

Girly stuff: Local channels have all the girly stuff. Also has hallmark channels, HGTV, food network, etc...

Here is a youtube tv channel list : https://www.tvguide.com/news/youtube-tv-channels-list/

You can watch it on TV, computer, mobile devices, etc...

I live in Eastern Ky. Even with Dish network all the local channels were in standard definition. So I got this set up just for the super bowl. Now its all HD and I do not regret getting it. Only caution is if you have crappy internet, you will have crappy service. YTTV has a free trial, so worse case is buy a Roku or something similar and try it out for a week. If it doesn't work or you don't like it you can cancel it in the APP. Don't even have to call anyone.

For $15 extra a month you can get 4k channels that are available. This package also lets you actually download movies and shows to watch online.

Get YouTube TV

I would go with either Roku Ultra or one of the 4K Stick options, Apple TV, the Amazon Fire 4K TV Stick Max, or the Google Chromecast with Google TV. The Roku Ultra or Apple TV would be the two superior options.

Reactions: TheBigBlueSpectacle
I have a Roku for equipment($25-100 upfront cost only) and YouTube TV($70 per month with local channels).

I have watched all UK games that are on TV. There are rumors the first football game will be online only, so not available on this or standard cable. Every other game will be on there though.

NFL, with all things, you will get whatever is played on your local channels. Blackout regions is still a thing. They do offer NFL RedZone for extra money.

MLB Playoffs will be on there. YtTv has all the channels the MLB nationally televised games are on, so should be the same as regular cable. You can also get MLB.TV for $65 which shows all out of market games.

YtTv has a DVR feature. It doesn't download it like a standard DVR, so you have to be online to stream it. It saves stuff for 9 months.

Girly stuff: Local channels have all the girly stuff. Also has hallmark channels, HGTV, food network, etc...

Here is a youtube tv channel list : https://www.tvguide.com/news/youtube-tv-channels-list/

I live in Eastern Ky. Even with Dish network all the local channels were in standard definition. So I got this set up just for the super bowl. Now its all HD and I do not regret getting it. Only caution is if you have crappy internet, you will have crappy service. YTTV has a free trial, so worse case is buy a Roku or something similar and try it out for a week. If it doesn't work or you don't like it you can cancel it in the APP. Don't even have to call anyone.

For $15 extra a month you can get 4k channels that are available. This package also lets you actually download movies and shows to watch online.
Great thanks! I may grab a new Apple TV just in case I want to turn that on for Ted Lasso type stuff at some point

Reactions: I am stupid

For the record, the extra $15 only lets you download stuff you have DVRed, I believe

Everyone else pretty much covered it.

If you have a new/mid-range OLED TV.. the native apps might work pretty well and you won't need a Roku/firestick.. I have an LG B9 from 2019 and the native apps, along with the motion-sense remote, is so nice. Literally just one remote.. thats it.

Reactions: TheBigBlueSpectacle
Best: YouTube TV gives you all the channels you want plus unlimited DVR for $70 per month.

Budget: Spectrum has a new streaming deal where you get your 5 local networks (ABC, NBC, FOX, PBS and CBS) plus choose your favorite 15 channels for $30/month. Choices include ESPN, ESPN2 among others like TBS, FX, CNN, AMC, Fox News, TNT, etc. Limited DVR is available.

HBO: Many premium channels like HBO can be purchased as a stand alone through your device (ROKU or whatever). Some can also be purchased through Amazon Prime video.

Last edited:
I don’t think any particular streaming service is better than another. You just need to find the one that has the channels you watch. I went with Hulu live because it had a channel or two YouTube tv didn’t have that we watched. So for my preferences Hulu was much better than YouTube. That may not be the case for you. I have a Roku device and have generally been happy with both.

I went with the Spectrum deal above. Only channel not available that we regularly watch was SEC Network. Cable bill is now about 1/3 of what it was, including 500 mbps internet.

When you’re picking the Spectrum channels for the deal, you’ll realize how few channels you actually watch. That was my deciding point between YTTV and Spectrum.

The main TV is a Samsung and has a browser app. I have used ustvgo.tv to watch SEC Network this week. Has been very reliable

Reactions: Lionel_Hutz
Everyone else pretty much covered it.

If you have a new/mid-range OLED TV.. the native apps might work pretty well and you won't need a Roku/firestick.. I have an LG B9 from 2019 and the native apps, along with the motion-sense remote, is so nice. Literally just one remote.. thats it.
If you rely on the TV's OS for the apps, you'll eventually just end up having to buy a streaming device anyways unless you replace your TVs every few years.

I use Kodi with Add ons (all free). I can get any games I want to watch, plus tv, movies, etc. I pay about 30 ish dollars a year. Can also get any Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, HBO Max shows.
I used to do that. Haven't for a while. With the way things are going with the studios and networks continually to splinter off on to their own apps, it's just going to drive more people back towards pirating though. Cutting the cord is starting to become the new Cable TV bullshit.

I used to do that. Haven't for a while. With the way things are going with the studios and networks continually to splinter off on to their own apps, it's just going to drive more people back towards pirating though. Cutting the cord is starting to become the new Cable TV bullshit.
I know, cord cutting used to be about saving money, now you get nickel and dined with all the different apps which adds up to more than cable. I was off Kodi a few years, then got back into it a few years ago again. The apps out there and streams are ALOT more stable now. I can watch any tv show, pull up past shows and live sports.

If you rely on the TV's OS for the apps, you'll eventually just end up having to buy a streaming device anyways unless you replace your TVs every few years.

Oh yeah I have Firesticks lying around. I imagine LG will stop updating the apps very soon as it's already been 3-4 years. It's just nice to only have one remote for EVERYTHING, just one device, one power cable, etc.

I'm pretty impressed with the apps and OS though, it's been pretty flawless.

Oh yeah I have Firesticks lying around. I imagine LG will stop updating the apps very soon as it's already been 3-4 years. It's just nice to only have one remote for EVERYTHING, just one device, one power cable, etc.

I'm pretty impressed with the apps and OS though, it's been pretty flawless.
My Apple TV and Google Chromecast with TV remote operate my TV/soundbar volume and power. Only time I ever pull out the TV remote is if I need to into the TV settings, which is less than once a month on average.

Have hulu live- it was like 30 bucks when I first got it years ago, it's probably the cost of cable now

I have Roku and Apple TV on different TV's. My newest TV has Roku Express 4K on a 4K TV but it goes in and out and requires a TV reboot. Apple TV is much more expensive but it's seamless on all TV's. And I do love YT TV for the money. Was paying $200+ on DirecTV and haven't looked back since getting YT TV.

Reactions: UKUGA
Another vote for YouTubeTV here.

Other aspects of it.
I think you can have up to 5 devices or TVs on the account, so you could have 2 tvs, your kid's tv at college, your phone, wife's ipad all on it.
Also, I set it to record UK basketball games 3 years ago, and I still don't have to remind it, it gets every one of them.
You can sort the channels in any order you want, so for example I have moved the SEC Network near the top.
Negatives (maybe this is my tv or built-in FireStick, but I think it's YTTV, the guide is not very descriptive.

Had Spectrum. Got tired of the huge bill every month. Went with YouTube TV. Overall, it’s good.

Reactions: UKUGA
I pay 80 flat for spectrum internet.

I have peacock, and Amazon prime. I use my parents espn app and all uk games are on that pretty much with remaining on CBS. You get the titans with local TV and attenna. Peacock also shows Sunday night football.

Cable...and as many channels as I want. MLB package in summer, NFL in the winter. I can afford it and when I sit down for some serious tube watching, I am in remote heaven.

Cut cable? Youtube TV? Any other cable gadget? May as well get rid of my 2 Keurig Duo's and get a Mr. Coffee.

We’ve decided to cut cable but of course I have some minimums that must be met and was hoping I can do so without sacrifice.

GOTTA HAVE
UK football and basketball games plus bowl games etc
Some NFL games, Titans preferably
Some Atlanta Braves games especially playoffs

she doesn’t watch much other than typical white girl stuff: the voice etc

i already have Netflix, Disney plus and Amazon prime. I have HBO Max but would lose it when I cut cable Thinking I can add a combo of a few other things through a single box and cut the chord if I do it right

TWO MORE QUESTIONS:
Can you “DVR” to watch later or rewatch something like you can with cable box?

also what streaming hardware do you recommend? ROKU? Apple TV? I have an Apple TV but it’s so old I can’t get some of my apps to stream without going through my phone.
YouTube TV is the best option I have found. They have locals, plus all the ESPN's you want. Fox Sports. NFL Network. MLB Network. SEC Network.

DVR is unlimited. There is an option where type in the teams you like and it will automatically record the games. THe DVR option for real the best one out there. It also will recrod well past when the game ends so you don't have to worry if the game goes to OT or extra innings.

Reactions: UKUGA and blubo
If you want the Braves each night, the MLB TV package is your only option out of market. Depending on your location in Kentucky, parts of the state get the Braves along the southern parts across the Tennessee border on Bally Sports. However, the only streaming platform for Bally Sports is DirecTV Now if you are in the market of the Braves games or whoever your regional team is whether it's Cincinnati for most of us or St. Louis in the western part of the state.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT