ADVERTISEMENT

Hearald Leader...Is It True?

tumblr_lleikpu8hq1qz6f4bo1_500.jpg

Lex. has some of the richest racehorse owners in the world and plenty of coal money I don't think a buyout would be a big deal it the Mitch and Cal being big friends, until Mitch is gone Cal is not going anywhere any other school Cal would have already been fired.

Vandy paid less than 15 million. The money is in place for the buyout. Just wait…
I read in multiple areas it was $25m. But that's fine, was probably settled at $15m or something.

Regardless, Kentucky should be able to find the money or at least get Cal to negotiate. I know people here think Cal is some wacked clown that will go down swinging and taking Kentucky basketball with him to get that money, and all of it, but I don't agree. I want him gone and think he's definitely an egomaniac, but his core focus is that if he has to go and is forced, he will want to go in a way that doesn't leave the entire media world calling him an arrogant greedy asshole for the rest of sports history. He'll want to try to leave whatever legacy he has left in tact and go off being seen as as a compromiser, not an asshat.

I think $15-20m would do it. Cal might put up a small fight internally with making propositions to convince certain kids to return, have a complete staff overhaul, and make hollow promises to coach better, but ultimately I think those ready to pay up are fed up and don't believe a word he says. He's had his chances and still flopped. One more year with the same talent isn't going to change the outcome.

Reactions: IrishMike409
vandy is a rich school built with vanderbilt railroad money...
The last Vanderbilt was Gloria, the Vanderbilt fortune when she died was 1.5 million. Not saying the Vanderbilts did not have a huge endowment at Vandy because I do not know. Of course her son Anderson Cooper is rich but not from the Vanderbuilt fortune.

Even if this is true, which there is not yet proof, it would be absurd to think Vandy was able to come up with $25m to can Stackhouse but Kentucky couldn’t come up with at least that to can Cal.
Do you know how rich Vanderbilt is . They are private . We are a public university and cannot justify using 33 million to fire a coach . The coal industry is dead . Cal burned his bridges with those who could pay it.
The answer here is to either find cal another job or to fire him for cause ,

the cause being he violated the terms of his contract by not putting the interest of UK first over his personal interest in developing NBA players .
His option is then either to sue or to go away.
if he sues I doubt a Fayette county jury will be kind to him.
the defense can use analytics to show he did deliberately did not fulfill his universal duty to act in the best interest of his employer .

Ben Roberts wrote a story on Calipari's buyout Friday morning.. and that basically said there would be no buyout.. Not sure if that was facts from sources, or Ben's opinion..

But last night, he updated the story, to say that direct sources have said, there is a group working to get enough commitment money to buy him out.

And from Pilgrim last night, he said its about 50/50.. and also confirmed a group of boosters (not including the Crafts), are working to get the money, and feel they do have the commitments. Pilgrim also said that people who said early on Friday that Calipari would be back, were backtracking later on Friday.

Sounds like from all the sources (including the Trilly discords), that Mitch is soliciting proposals to keep him or let him go. And that a decision will come in next few days. But saying that one way or another, there WILL be signifcant change in UK program next years, regardless if Calipari stays or not.

Reactions: delk4three
That's funny because I hear a press conference is coming Tuesday afternoon.
Is it for Cal leaving, staying, the future who knows.

It’s a loveless marriage and we’re stuck with it for at least 12 more months, if not 24 with the Quaintance plan.

“I don’t like it anymore than you men . . .”

Lex. has some of the richest racehorse owners in the world and plenty of coal money I don't think a buyout would be a big deal it the Mitch and Cal being big friends, until Mitch is gone Cal is not going anywhere any other school Cal would have already been fired.
I doubt many racehorse owners are a) native Kentuckians or b) interested in basketball. Horse racing -- if the owner is not a dilletante -- is a full time occupation.

Reactions: CELTICAT
Even if this is true, which there is not yet proof, it would be absurd to think Vandy was able to come up with $25m to can Stackhouse but Kentucky couldn’t come up with at least that to can Cal.
Vanda is equal to an Ivy league school like Stanford, Duke, Northwestern. The money from those Alumni an boosters likey Dwarf UK.

I can't imagine even 50 fans existing in BBN who still have an ounce of faith and support for this guy. This would not be tolerated at Alabama football and it shouldn't be tolerated at Kentucky.

Gillispie was let go for 40-27, one SEC tourney win, an 11 seed first round exit, and the NIT. Cal is kept on simply cause of the first part of his tenure but gets a pass for a losing season, two first round exits to double digit seeds, and one SEC tourney win?

Vanda is equal to an Ivy league school like Stanford, Duke, Northwestern. The money from those Alumni an boosters likey Dwarf UK.
I fully understand this. I guess the point of my question was more to poke at the plethora of folks that have historically ranted on about how much money UK boosters have to throw around to get rid of Cal.

If they exist, where are they and when or will they pony up to get this crap done so we can move on to our next chapter?

Even though I was a huge Cal fan at the time, I hated and criticized that decision when it was announced.

Lifetime contracts pretty much NEVER work out. Certainly hasn't in this case.
My reaction to it was "Well, that probably won't blow up in our face but it sounds ridiculous to give a guy a lifetime contract with no buyout on his end and a huge buyout on ours..."

Reactions: deplion
The 10 minutes College GameDay just spent on UK had them all saying Cal doesn’t deserve to be fired.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT