ADVERTISEMENT

health insurance (not political)

So Ram, you are basing your views on attorneys being part of the problem based on your own personal experience and business experience.

Why didn't you say you were a physician or owner of a medical facility? Because that is the only way your personal and business experience has any relevance to attorneys being part of the problem.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Insurance and the foolishness of Obama care is why I live off shore. Case in point. My wife, myself and 2 kids coverage in Kentucky was 850.00 a month. Our coverage that also covers dental, and glasses in Taiwan is 22.00 a month plus 5.00 dollars a visit. Drugs are so cheap that I buy a years supply for what I used to pay for a month.

Their is a reason that so many people are leaving us to retire in Asia, so many that the Philippines now has a us social security office in Manila.

All I can say is if you have any sense, you will move out of the USA. In the Philippines you can live like a king on 1500.00 a month in retirement.

Originally posted by MrHotDice:
Insurance and the foolishness of Obama care is why I live off shore. Case in point. My wife, myself and 2 kids coverage in Kentucky was 850.00 a month. Our coverage that also covers dental, and glasses in Taiwan is 22.00 a month plus 5.00 dollars a visit. Drugs are so cheap that I buy a years supply for what I used to pay for a month.

Their is a reason that so many people are leaving us to retire in Asia, so many that the Philippines now has a us social security office in Manila.

All I can say is if you have any sense, you will move out of the USA. In the Philippines you can live like a king on 1500.00 a month in retirement.
I don't think that is bad advice.

my take is - the first step to would be to make all health care cost expenditures 100% tax deductible - just straight off the top and not based on a percentage of your income.

deductibles, co-pays - every bit of it - is a tax deduction off the bottom line of what you owe Uncle Sam. There would have to be some base - like a percentage of your income tied to a premium, but after that , its all tax deductible.

If our government was serious about affordable tax care, they'd be more than willing to take the hit in THEIR revenue stream to provide it for us.

If they want mandated health care, fine, but drop the subsidies and instead give us the tax deduction.

If you pay your health care premiums and you still end up with $12K in medical bills - that goes toward what you owe Uncle Sam in taxes. You only owe $1500 to Uncle Sam?, then you get a $10,500 refund this year.

I have a feeling the government would take a much closer look at why a hospital is marking up a cancer drug 4000% and their CEO is pulling in $6m a year.

This post was edited on 2/3 10:15 AM by TankedCat

Originally posted by MrHotDice:

Do you have dual citizenship?

Originally posted by BlueKel:

Originally posted by ram1955:
. 2. Paying higher rates when a company's claims increase (whether I've made a claim or not).
There lies the fallacy of the consumer argument. Insurance is not a zero sum game for the individual. Its real purpose is to protect you in the event of a catastrophe. Tell me, if you had a MAJOR health situation - brain surgery, heart surgery, cancer, etc. - who is going to pay for that? Your premiums over your lifetime will not come close to paying the total of all those bills. Is the insurance company just supposed to absorb those losses? How are they paid for?

Insurance is a collection of EVERYONE'S premiums, to pay out everyone's claims. Sure people pay more or less depending on certain characteristics - smoking, etc. Bottom line though is if you had a major event, you'd expect it to be paid for regardless of how much or little you paid in. It is the number/amount of ALL the claims that dictate the rates, not those of an individual.
There are many dragons to slay in the health care/insurance universe. The advent of health insurance more than any other single factor has allowed heath care cost to skyrocket. On the flip side it also has allowed for the advancement of medicine.
Few people had health insurance before the 1960's. The industry therefore had to exist in a model where care was affordable because it was most always paid out of pocket. When health insurance started to become a normal perk that employers gave their workers it created a pool of money from which providers could swim. Advanced medical procedures could become more available because the cost of the procedure became less and less of an issue. Once advanced procedures become the norm, once we have the ability to save a life then the moral question becomes...are you going to allow Joe to die because he cannot pay? If someone is having a heart attack are you going to withhold treatment until you can determine their ability to pay?
With advanced treatments become more opportunities for errors by doctors/medical staff thus doctors have to protect themselves with malpractice insurance. Which created a large pool of cash which attracts people (lawyers) who want to get at that cash.
Hospitals built prior to 1970 or so were normally fairly plain, simply functional buildings. Patients were usually housed 2, 3 4 to a room. My brother broke his hip in 1972 and was in the hospital for a month. There were 2 other patients that shared his room.
Now, does any hospital still have semi-private rooms?
Private rooms reduce the likelihood of patients being contaminated by illnesses from other patients so they are functional but they also increase cost as it requires more real estate to house the same number of patients. As long as insurance is paying the bill it doesn't really matter how much the room charges are...hospitals can build nicer, more ornate buildings to compete against the other hospitals in the area...costs rise.
Health care conglomerates like Humana, HCA, etc buy up older, smaller hospitals in rural areas and funnel patients into newer, more profitable health care centers...

Pharmaceutical companies spend billions bringing drugs to market and once it hits the market there are chemist from China and elsewhere that obtain the drug, analyze its makeup and manufacture generic versions ignoring patent laws and escaping the R&D costs that it took to create the drug in the first place. The US patients get stuck with paying all of those costs.

As for Obamacare... IMHO there are only 2 models that have the ability to control health care costs.
1. Completely eliminate health care and malpractice insurance..., or
2. Create a single payer system where everyone is covered and costs are controlled.

#1 will never happen. I think that Obamacare was designed to fail in order to get us to #2. Pretty much the entire industrialized world minus the US has #2 and their people are much healthier and their health care costs are much lower.

Originally posted by fuzz77:

As for Obamacare... IMHO there are only 2 models that have the ability to control health care costs.
2. Create a single payer system where everyone is covered and costs are controlled.

#1 will never happen. I think that Obamacare was designed to fail in order to get us to #2. Pretty much the entire industrialized world minus the US has #2 and their people are much healthier and their health care costs are much lower.

I agree with most of this except the last half of the last statement.

Diet plays a critical role in overall health. Simply stating that people outside the US are "healthier" due to their health care is intellectually disingenuous.

Health care costs cannot be calculated without factoring in the tax rates of the individuals. Folks overseas are paying for their healthcare through higher taxes.

Originally posted by P19978:

Originally posted by fuzz77:

I agree with most of this except the last half of the last statement.

Diet plays a critical role in overall health. Simply stating that people outside the US are "healthier" due to their health care is intellectually disingenuous.

Health care costs cannot be calculated without factoring in the tax rates of the individuals. Folks overseas are paying for their healthcare through higher taxes.
Health care costs are calculated by totaling up the total spend regardless of who is paying. I'm speaking about the total expenditure per capita...

The US spends nearly 18% of GDP on health care. The next highest among the industrialized nations is the Netherlands which spends almost 12%.

The U.S. spent $8,233 on health per person in 2010. Norway, the Netherlands and Switzerland are the next highest spenders, but in the same year, they all spent at least $3,000 less per person. The average spending on health care among the other 33 developed OECD countries was $3,268 per person.

I agree that diet pays a critical role in overall health but there are also many other factors being weighed. Access to health care and access to preventive healthcare improves overall health.

Tru

Nah...to be honest, I was about to until I thought about what I'd said in my previous post and realized in my "pissed off-ness" I spoke of an issue dealing with attorneys but related to another type insurance.... not related to health/malpractice. This is a hot topic with me...but I was incorrect in saying that my dealings with lawyers and insurance had to do with malpractice.

As for malpractice ins...an friend of mine whose husband is an obgyn was telling me of his exhorbitant malpractice premium.....I found this hard to believe but I swear she told me his premiums were in the $six digits. Someone has to pay for that.

As for my dealings with attorneys, it had to do with business issues: health for employees, worker's comp, and personal/professional liability. In one suit, my partner and I were adamant we were not at fault. When our attorney mentioned the possibility of a settlement ( early in the proceedings), we both said "hell no". We'd (our insurers) grudgingly settled in a couple of others...resulting in an increase of premiums. To which he responded that it was not our call..and if the ins co believed it would be a wash get a favorable decision but cost for hours of attorney fees, they may choose to settle. Left a bad taste in my mouth. It's a shame when you are in the right but still end up paying.

As you can tell...a bad topic for my....I'll shut up.

Ram, it does happen in situations you just describe. But as former in house counsel for an insurance carrier I can tell you that sometimes we did pay a "nuisance settlement" on claims we knew we were likely not liable for but it was cheaper in the long run.

I understand why that pisses the insured off. But if the carrier fought all these to the end it would be a pyrrhic victory as we'd be paying attorneys more than we ever paid claimants.

And med mal insurance is rip off. Carriers have fought for and won tort reform in many states to limit how much can be paid. In none of those states did malpractice rates go down.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT