ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkins Starting Tonight

Originally posted by CELTICAT:
Originally posted by 5iveStarRecruit:
Im not a fan of this move but whatever.
Trust in Cal
…

We blow them out without Hawkins.

Hawkins is not good enough to take minutes away from Lyles, Booker or Aaron. He had his nice moments today and hustled his ass off, but against good opponents he shouldn't be taking away minutes from the players i named.

I thought Hawkins played really well tonight. He made a couple shots, blocked a shot, didn't get scored on and played great defense. Cal will platoon whenever possible.. He'll also try different lineups and tinker.. There was a post earlier suggesting Cal is sandbagging.. I don't believe that but he's definitely trying different lineups and I think that's affected Ky in the past few games. He doesn't want us to peak to soon..

Originally posted by ManitouDan:
Total bs move . Can't get a single min in two OT games but gets a start against a bottom feeder .. To me , it would be insulting .
laugh.r191677.gif

Whatever.

Hawkins is not good enough to take minutes away from Lyles, Booker or Aaron. He had his nice moments today and hustled his ass off, but against good opponents he shouldn't be taking away minutes from the players i named.
Hawkins locked up Stauskas in the second half last year when guys like Young, Poythress, and Aaron Harrison were available.

There will be times he deserves to play. As long as he's not a liability on offense, he can help the team, even in the NCAA tournament.

This post was edited on 1/14 12:37 AM by Son_Of_Saul

Originally posted by Son_Of_Saul:

.…

Hawkins locked up Stauskas in the second half last year when guys like Young, Poythress, and Aaron Harrison were available.

There will be times he deserves to play. As long as he's not a liability on offense, he can help the team, even in the NCAA tournament.

This post was edited on 1/14 12:37 AM by Son_Of_Saul

Yes, he did, but Poythress is not available and Young was a known defensive liability.

Booker> Young. Trey>Poy.

I agree that if he's not on O liability in a certain game, then he can help . But i suspect against good opponents that is what he will become.

This post was edited on 1/14 12:47 AM by 5iveStarRecruit

Personally, I thought it was a great move to give the Hawk a start because this team needed someone who would bring energy and good defense out front.

I think Hawkins allows Twins to guard slower player, which helps keep their legs fresh.

Hawkins also brings major athleticism.

Finally, i think he provides quite a bit of future. If Hawkins can develop shooting/skill/understanding. That boy will be hard not to play. Super athleticism.

So keep playing him!

Glad to see Hawk get the start and thought he [played a good game. Really good defensively and scored some! Blocked a shot too. Keep him in there!

IMO Cal has had enough of the self serving BS by Andrew and Aaron and Andrew getting his lunch eaten by quick point guards. It makes little difference who is playing with the twins and whether they have offense because the twins will not pass them the ball anyway.

I think it is a good idea to get the guard that is likely your best defender at the guard position involved in the mix. If he can disrupt the other teams offense by gluing on their point guard I could care less if he scores. The truth is that although Hawkins is not a great outside shooter he is very athletic and if not guarded will be dunking on you. This moves at least one of the Harrisons Aaron to the position he should be playing SF. Maybe Andrew can guard the bigger players at the 2g position better than he can the quick point guards.

Originally posted by UKWildcats#8:

Originally posted by BigBlueTom1:

Amazing, not good enough to even play the last few games, but starting to night.
I think has more to do with Cal wanting to go back to platooning and Lyles on the White team gives them more firepower along with Ulis and Booker (and Johnson when he shows up).

That said, it sure takes away fire power from our first five. I don't want to hear anyone bitch about the Harrisons shooting a ton with Hawkins in the game. They are playing 4 on 5 on offense.

With Hawkins starting it gives us two ball hawkers defending the point guard with him and Ulis. Both very disruptive players defensively. Great move by Cal.

Reactions: sgrooms
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT