ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkins Starting Tonight

Originally posted by JerseyCat84:
What's wrong with Lyles?
I guess Cal really is going back to platooning, Lyles will be back to his normal spot with the second unit.

Originally posted by That MGH Guy:
Along with the Twins, Karl, and Willie.

Energy and hustle from the tip.
And 4 on 5 while on offense. I trust Cal though.

Originally posted by UKWildcats#8:
Originally posted by That MGH Guy:
Along with the Twins, Karl, and Willie.

Energy and hustle from the tip.
And 4 on 5 while on offense. I trust Cal though.
Maybe he's only doing it because it's Mizzou.

I hope Willis transfers. He could get quality minutes, and even start on many other teams, but he's just not going to get any real minutes here.

Dude Willis is not any good. He can hit a three every once in a while or get a dunk. He can't guard his shadow.

Very peculiar to start Hawkins on the Blue Platoon, but maybe it's because Cal wants more firepower on the White platoon to even things out?

Originally posted by SilentsAreGolden:
I hope Willis transfers. He could get quality minutes, and even start on many other teams, but he's just not going to get any real minutes here.
But he is practicing against some of the best very day. If he want to get better he has things to learn. How better than than at UK?

Have never been one to chirp about Willis playing time or lack thereof, but I'm beginning to agree with this. With shooting woes of late, a real shame he can't seem to find the floor.

Hawkins makes the most sense because he plays hard and plays with intensity. Cal wants to get his guys going off of defense tonight.

He certainly is skilled enough to play quality minutes for somebody. I'm sure Cal has his reasons for not getting him in. Maybe he's too passive in practice.

Originally posted by CatsFaninCincy:
Have never been one to chirp about Willis playing time or lack thereof, but I'm beginning to agree with this. With shooting woes of late, a real shame he can't seem to find the floor.
We have been shooting outstanding from 3. All Willis does is jack up 3's at a 25% clip. He would hurt our offense as he brings nothing in the 2 point territory where the struggles have been. I hate to call out my fellow Cat fans, but what's your logic?

Originally posted by BigBlueTom1:

Amazing, not good enough to even play the last few games, but starting to night.
I think has more to do with Cal wanting to go back to platooning and Lyles on the White team gives them more firepower along with Ulis and Booker (and Johnson when he shows up).

That said, it sure takes away fire power from our first five. I don't want to hear anyone bitch about the Harrisons shooting a ton with Hawkins in the game. They are playing 4 on 5 on offense.

Yes, we have played a couple of close games recently but guess what? We have won them all which is more than anyone other than Virginia can say and we have played a more difficult schedule. I cannot believe some people question what our coach is doing as if they are are practice each day and know better than he does as he has coached our team to 3 final fours and one title in the last four years.

I rather see Willis get some burn especially against the SEC bottom dwellers, like Missouri. But Cal has a method to his madness.

Originally posted by zannmann:
Dude Willis is not any good. He can hit a three every once in a while or get a dunk. He can't guard his shadow.
Completely false he is not Witljer .he doesn' t play b/c the other 10 are better but Willis will be a great player before he leaves .But would expect that from a poster of your ilk. love the move as our biggest strength is the platoon and this makes it easier as it is hard for Lyles to play on both Platoons as he has been .

Originally posted by CoachR35:
He certainly is skilled enough to play quality minutes for somebody. I'm sure Cal has his reasons for not getting him in. Maybe he's too passive in practice.
??? Maybe the obvious explanation is the best. Maybe he's playing very well in practice, and simply has too many future draft picks in front of him.....

Total bs move . Can't get a single min in two OT games but gets a start against a bottom feeder .. To me , it would be insulting .

Brilliant move by Cal putting Hawkins in line up...brings energy to the Twins group. Much rather him shooting floaters and short jumpers than #5

In the Bahamas pre-season 6 game trip when WCS and Lyles were both out still healing from their injuries Cal had both Willis and Hawkins in the platoon system. I know the Bahamas is not the same competition like in the regular season and Conference Play but I thought when POY went down why not put Willis in and keep the 5 in 5 out platoon going since we were playing great with the platoon. I do believe Willis is in Cal's doghouse or Willis just doesn't bring it in the practices because I know Cal does look at how well the boys are bringing it at practice too. I just remember everyone saying how well Willis played in the Bahamas during the 6 game trip and how well his 3 point shot was falling during those games.

I'm glad our coach has more sense than some of our idiotic armchair coaches who know more than a future Hall Of Famer.

Dom played great defense, contributed some on offense and brought needed energy to the blue platoon. I would prefer to keep Ulis and Booker together on the white platoon, and Dom can guard the other team's PG while the Harrisons concentrate on guarding the wings with the blues.

I love. Him being in there , the question is why now ? If he wasn't valuable enough the past several. Weeks , why is he valuable tonight ?

Hawkins had a great game tonight. Played really great defense, I think that is why Cal started him tonight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT