ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkins (one more Hawkins post)

Oct 30, 2009
I gotta say, I haven't been a big supporter of Hawkins in the past. Last year I was screaming at the TV when he got so much PT, cause the other team didn't even bother to guard him and doubled down on our bigs.

I gotta say: Cal is smarter than me.

I think using Hawkins in the first platoon is brilliant. he can guard the smallest, quickest guard, and the Harrisons are fine covering the 2 and 3. This gives more defensive bite to the Blue team. BRILLIANT! And Hawkins can finish as a slasher.

Coach Cal may be crazy, but he's beautifully, brilliantly crazy and i really like that kinda crazy!

Agreed. His defense/energy is so crucial and something that won't show up in a box score, but he always makes an impact when he is on the floor.

Everyone always talks about the All-Americans Cal gets at UK but snatching Hawkins was one of the biggest steals he's ever gotten and it will pay off for the next few years. I said in his junior year of high school that he was UK material when hardly anyone but a few mid-majors were looking at him and now he may end up starting on our ninth title team. Crazy. Would not shock me at all to see him go down as one of the most successful Cats ever, like Wayne Turner or Darius Miller.

Originally posted by BleedBlue32:
Agreed. His defense/energy is so crucial and something that won't show up in a box score, but he always makes an impact when he is on the floor.

Everyone always talks about the All-Americans Cal gets at UK but snatching Hawkins was one of the biggest steals he's ever gotten and it will pay off for the next few years. I said in his junior year of high school that he was UK material when hardly anyone but a few mid-majors were looking at him and now he may end up starting on our ninth title team. Crazy. Would not shock me at all to see him go down as one of the most successful Cats ever, like Wayne Turner or Darius Miller.
We have 10 starters.

Hawk is probably one of my favorites this year. Now that he has added a little offense to his game I can see him really benefiting this team.

I think your spot on with your assessment of the two platoons and what he adds to the first one. Just seems to fit. His offensive production seems to match Poy's and his defense, while different, doesn't drop off, may be better.

Originally posted by UKWildcats#8:

Originally posted by BleedBlue32:

We have 10 starters.
I think the case can be made for 11.

I just wish he would hit the wide open 3's he gets!! He is coming so close, but they just won't go in.

Originally posted by WallMashKyBall:
I gotta say, I haven't been a big supporter of Hawkins in the past. Last year I was screaming at the TV when he got so much PT, cause the other team didn't even bother to guard him and doubled down on our bigs.

I gotta say: Cal is smarter than me.

I think using Hawkins in the first platoon is brilliant. he can guard the smallest, quickest guard, and the Harrisons are fine covering the 2 and 3. This gives more defensive bite to the Blue team. BRILLIANT! And Hawkins can finish as a slasher.

Coach Cal may be crazy, but he's beautifully, brilliantly crazy and i really like that kinda crazy!
Actually it was a poster on this forum who had the idea to put hawkins in the first platoon. About time Cal finally listened. Thanks rafters poster for "righting the ship" and thank you Cal for keeping "eyes" on this forum!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT