ADVERTISEMENT

Hawaii Fires - Impacting Maui Invitational?

notelvis

Senior
Jul 9, 2005
I'm curious - in all the reporting about the Hawaii Wildfires, has anyone seen anything regarding damage to the arena where they play the Maui Invitational games? Looks to me like they'll not be able to play those games on site this year.

Reactions: Fox2monk
That’s not even a debatable question.

They’ve got a city to rebuild and Lord only knows how many victims to bury before they even start thinking about resuming their beloved basketball tournament.
Literally rebuild a city. Crazy shit.

Edit: Just saw the death toll rose to 53. Likely to get to triple digits.

That’s not even a debatable question.

They’ve got a city to rebuild and Lord only knows how many victims to bury before they even start thinking about resuming their beloved basketball tournament.
Awful. Just awful. It's just horrible to see this devastation.

If they can find a place to play it, maybe they can use sales of tickets to help fund recovery efforts.

Awful. Just awful. It's just horrible to see this devastation.

If they can find a place to play it, maybe they can use sales of tickets to help fund recovery efforts.
Aloha bbncat02

Given the proximity of the gym to Lahaina / Front Street ... I don't see how it could happen...the hotels in Kaanapali are fine...it's just that - given the suffering this Island is enduring and will endure, I just don't believe they would have the "heart" for it...

I am in favor of having it at the Stan Sheriff Arena at UH...(given scheduling issues)...and ALL proceeds go to Maui and the ones that have suffered and to the rebuilding of Front Street...If UH is not possible I would next vote of the gym at BYU on the North Shore...small gym...kinda like the gym on Maui...

Anyway....my two cents...

With Aloha,

AlohaCat

It’s crushing to see what has happened to Lahaina. Such a tragedy. I love that little town so much.

Reactions: gbl97
Aloha bbncat02

I am in favor of having it at the Stan Sheriff Arena at UH...(given scheduling issues)...and ALL proceeds go to Maui and the ones that have suffered and to the rebuilding of Front Street.
This is how I’d like to see it handled. Instead of canceling it, move it to Oahu but with all proceeds going to Maui.

But I’m not sure if they want to deal with the logistical pain of doing that when they’ve got so much else to worry about right now.

This is how I’d like to see it handled. Instead of canceling it, move it to Oahu but with all proceeds going to Maui.

But I’m not sure if they want to deal with the logistical pain of doing that when they’ve got so much else to worry about right now.
Exactly. Basketball is most likely at the bottom of their minds. I assume the money would help but would I really generate that much? The feds will give them billions, I’m sure.

Reactions: chroix and Fox2monk
Aloha bbncat02

Given the proximity of the gym to Lahaina / Front Street ... I don't see how it could happen...the hotels in Kaanapali are fine...it's just that - given the suffering this Island is enduring and will endure, I just don't believe they would have the "heart" for it...

I am in favor of having it at the Stan Sheriff Arena at UH...(given scheduling issues)...and ALL proceeds go to Maui and the ones that have suffered and to the rebuilding of Front Street...If UH is not possible I would next vote of the gym at BYU on the North Shore...small gym...kinda like the gym on Maui...

With Aloha,

AlohaCat
Be careful @HICATFAN !

Reactions: chroix
I'd probably say a basketball tournament isn't on their minds at all right now, much more serious stuff to deal with than a tournament.

Reactions: chroix
Exactly. Basketball is most likely at the bottom of their minds. I assume the money would help but would I really generate that much? The feds will give them billions, I’m sure.
If they could pull it off it would be a huge morale boost, but yes, I'm sure it's at the bottom of their list and rightfully so.

But any money that could be generated would help. Especially as it would be mostly local and quick. Fed money will come but it takes forever.

Aloha bbncat02

With Aloha,

AlohaCat
All good points. I think it would be good for everyone there as they do seem to love hosting it. But of course, people come first and it should only continue if it's logistically possible and can be used to help boost morale and provide relief funds.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT