ADVERTISEMENT

Have We Only defeated Bad Teams?

merrimanm, I know what you are saying, but progression is the key.

Was it likely that Stoops could out recruit half the conference in 2014, with UK coming off of 2 successive two win seasons?

No, but that 2014 class had lot of stars.

And yes, we did not out recruit Alabama, or Georgia that year.

But time tends to carry on . . . . what will our recruiting look like in 2022, when we have our longest tenured coach in program history, with 6 successive winning seasons and a progression of better bowl appearances?

We tend to think of coaching and coaching hires as "lightning strike" events, and unrealistically expect/hope for rapid change.

It is simply not realistic to expect that we could have out recruited the top half of the SEC yet.

But it is equally unrealistic to think/assume that with progressive winning and program profile growth, that we can't ever get there, with the biggest of the big boys.

Stoops had courage to seek out the head coach's position at a school with a stunningly low profile in the P5. Realistically can you name 5 programs with a lower profile in P5? (Let's see, Kansas, Iowa State, Vandy, Virginia . . . . .??)
I think we are on the same page.

We’ve got really good athletic players, just nobody to coach them up :burger:
thumbs-down.png

His record the last 15 games disagrees with you.

I love your optimism and will gladly eat crow if incorrect but we've only beaten one legitimately good team in those 15 games.

Heck, we've lost a bunch of games that we shouldn't have during his tenure. Remember that one time when Florida ran that "trick" play of lining up wide receivers in the wide receiver spot and we didn't cover it? Those trick plays sure are tricky. Deer in the headlights my friend!

Whaaaaat? Surely you remember last season, where by the 5th game we were 2-3, with a loss at home to a G5 opponent . . . . .

Hell, didn't we all just know entering the 6th game that we would end up in a decent bowl game, and beat Louisville on the road? I'm quiet certain at least one alcoholic on here had last season's story line down pat prior to the 6th game of the season!
Yes, we know those things. But we don't know how 6 remaining SEC games that should all be competitive will swing in the 2nd half. I believe Georgia will probably beat us. But most of our remaining games can go either way. If our offensive line gets better, this could turn out to be a remarkable season. But if it doesn't, then there will be some disappointing weeks ahead. That's what I meant.

I love your optimism and will gladly eat crow if incorrect but we've only beaten one legitimately good team in those 15 games.

Heck, we've lost a bunch of games that we shouldn't have during his tenure. Remember that one time when Florida ran that "trick" play of lining up wide receivers in the wide receiver spot and we didn't cover it? Those trick plays sure are tricky. Deer in the headlights my friend!
One game we lost that we shouldn't have. And all of the wins were quality seeing how for many many years those same teams have drilled us. Yall seem to think we have been some damn powerhouse for our entire existence. Beating team that have traditionally owned you are quality wins. Put a streak together like we have against USC, and that is even more prof of quality wins. The quality wins thing is a ignorant argument due to the fact that the teams we are beating have owned us.

One game we lost that we shouldn't have. And all of the wins were quality seeing how for many many years those same teams have drilled us. Yall seem to think we have been some damn powerhouse for our entire existence. Beating team that have traditionally owned you are quality wins. Put a streak together like we have against USC, and that is even more prof of quality wins. The quality wins thing is a ignorant argument due to the fact that the teams we are beating have owned us.

Your post says it all...better than we've been in a long time but still mediocre..

Your post says it all...better than we've been in a long time but still mediocre..
Again, you have to become mediocre to become great. We have sucked for the better part of 60 years, yet you act like.over night we just become a powerhouse. It doesn't work that way. You have to crawl before you walk and walk before you run. Why our fans act like we should just automatically be good is insane to me. But, typical society these days. If they don't have something when they want it, then they throw a hissy fit. Things don't come easy. There is work involved. You don't just magically become a good team.

Again, you have to become mediocre to become great. We have sucked for the better part of 60 years, yet you act like.over night we just become a powerhouse. It doesn't work that way. You have to crawl before you walk and walk before you run. Why our fans act like we should just automatically be good is insane to me. But, typical society these days. If they don't have something when they want it, then they throw a hissy fit. Things don't come easy. There is work involved. You don't just magically become a good team.

I agree...just don't agree that we have a coach that will get us there. His staff appears to be a really good staff, they just have a very undisciplined leader at the helm.

I agree...just don't agree that we have a coach that will get us there. His staff appears to be a really good staff, they just have a very undisciplined leader at the helm.
Again, I disagree. Does he make mistakes? Heck yeah. But so does Saban and everyone else. The difference is, when your margin is razor thin, it shows up more than we you are Alabama with the best players all over the field. Stoops is the right guy IMO.

There is not doubt that recruiting is the lifeblood for a college coach. However, you simply can't look at the situation and say a guy can't coach because he doesn't get players. If you are at Bama and don't get them, then yeah, it is the coach. But UK, Vandy and places like that is a different animal. Everything has to be perfect to recruit really well. And even then, it still might not be as good as those you are chasing. See UK now. Stoops and staff has done awesome on the recruiting trail, but sometimes, there is nothing you can do to get the players needed to catch the ones ahead of you. Use Dampen Harris, Jedrick wills, Mac Jones as recent examples.
That's true. But every program misses on recruits they want. Even Alabama. Mac Jones is a quarterback. Top quarterbacks are very tough to recruit because everyone wants them. We have actually won some recruiting battles (Young, Jackson, Paschal, Wright) with Alabama, but we won't win them. Far too much has been made about Jedrick Wills and Damien Harris because they played their high school ball in Kentucky. Some of our fans thinks this means Stoops is a failure for not signing them. But Georgia, Florida, Tennessee miss on top instate prospects all the time. Fans must make the jump and understand how recruiting works at this level. No coach gets every player he wants, but successful recruiting classes address needs of the program. Stoops didn't sign Harris, but he signed Snell, King, Koback. Stoops didn't sign Wills, but he signed Young, Watkins, got Kinnard's commitment, got Price to transfer. Stoops didn't sign Mac Jones, but he signed SJ and Danny Clark, then got Jarren Williams' commitment. Every class Stoops signs is a new level of excellence for our program. It's time to give credit where it is due.

Reactions: merrimanm
The staff is comprised of some really good coaches. However, Stoops isn't very good and won't be great. He's a deer in the headlights when it counts most. Misses the most basic things.
Your description of Stoops is a confirmation bias. Every coach makes mistakes. When a team is just at the crossroad of success in a P5 conference, there is no margin for error and everything that doesn't turn out right is magnified. Stoops has recruited better than any other UK football coach, put together an excellent staff, defeated a Heisman quarterback on the road, beat South Carolina 4 straight, literally drove Spurrier into requirement, presided over renovation and replacement of all UK football facilities. But you focus on whatever is still left to criticize and refer to our coach in language of extreme exaggeration. Stoops isn't "missing the most basic things". You are.

Your description of Stoops is a confirmation bias. Every coach makes mistakes. When a team is just at the crossroad of success in a P5 conference, there is no margin for error and everything that doesn't turn out right is magnified. Stoops has recruited better than any other UK football coach, put together an excellent staff, defeated a Heisman quarterback on the road, beat South Carolina 4 straight, literally drove Spurrier into requirement, presided over renovation and replacement of all UK football facilities. But you focus on whatever is still left to criticize and refer to our coach in language of extreme exaggeration. Stoops isn't "missing the most basic things". You are.

He misses the basic things because he focuses on the refs rather than the game, his game management skills (Timeouts, substitutions, clock management, situational awareness) is horrid. The Florida game highlights how inept he is in the big moment. Can he overcome, maybe...will he, probably not. He has to improve greatly for the team to take the next step.

That point comes up, over and over.

But consider that South Carolina is 3-2, with a 10 point loss to us in Columbia, and a 7 point loss to A & M in Texas (A & M is 3-1). Otherwise, they have beaten a ranked NC State (neutral site game), won on a last second field goal against Louisiana Tech, and beat Mizzou pretty badly in the other Columbia.

South Carolina has a decent shot to go bowling, even without Dabo Sweeney.

I'll give you the rest of the wins . . . . although Eastern Michigan will likely go bowling and Southern Miss might too.

Looking at the Cats Pause season preview, they had the South Carolina Game as the 9th toughest of the season to win, given that it was on the road against a decent quarterback. The only games ranked tougher were Florida, Louisville and Georgia. From what I have seen, I do not disagree with their preseason picks.

I honestly think that the Mizzou game might be against our worst foe of the year. Could EKU beat them?

Unless they find some magic in their off week, I don't think they will be competitive with us.
Any SEC road win is a good road win. Period!

Name me a program in the last 50 years who went from the bottom 10% of P5 teams, to excellent, without a "mediocre" period mixed in?

I agree...just don't agree that we have a coach that will get us there.

And the last two coaches who attained the mediocrity you so despise at UK, Claiborna and Brooks are College Hall of Famers . . . .

South Carolina right now leading Arkansas 34-10. Ditto on the good road win.

Yeah, Smashcat, at some point in these discussions, reality has to set in . . . . South Carolina has lost to us and at 4-2 A @ M, who ran with Bama, yesterday. By the end of the season, we might have given SC their only SEC home loss.

Will SC win another conference game??? I wouldn't bet on it!

Had I known they had Arky at home, I wouldda' pointed that one out, too.

I think they curb stomp UT in Knoxville, now. They've had UT's number frequently the last few years, and their fans expect to win that one as much as they (quietly) expect to lose to us.

[
Name me a program in the last 50 years who went from the bottom 10% of P5 teams, to excellent, without a "mediocre" period mixed in?

And the last two coaches who attained the mediocrity you so despise at UK, Claiborna and Brooks are College Hall of Famers . . . .

Yeah, Smashcat, at some point in these discussions, reality has to set in . . . . South Carolina has lost to us and at 4-2 A @ M, who ran with Bama, yesterday. By the end of the season, we might have given SC their only SEC home loss.

We've won all of our games in spite of coaching. I'll stand by my assessment of Stoops-he's as likely to cost us games as he is to win us games.

We've won all of our games in spite of coaching. I'll stand by my assessment of Stoops-he's as likely to cost us games as he is to win us games.

You could be correct, but if you are, then Stoops and Co. have achieved something that Bear Bryant preached about, oh so long ago . . . . "I'd rather be lucky than talented . . . ."

And don't tell me you didn't see growth . . . . nary an uncovered Mizzou receiver, last night . . . . oh, yeah, several we couldn't keep up with, but at least we had a defender trying to win the race!

You've said you hope to eat crow . . . . the next six weeks will tell the tale.

You could be correct, but if you are, then Stoops and Co. have achieved something that Bear Bryant preached about, oh so long ago . . . . "I'd rather be lucky than talented . . . ."

And don't tell me you didn't see growth . . . . nary an uncovered Mizzou receiver, last night . . . . oh, yeah, several we couldn't keep up with, but at least we had a defender trying to win the race!

You've said you hope to eat crow . . . . the next six weeks will tell the tale.

I saw growth offensively, defense was horrible. A ton of players out hurt so there's some concessions. The next few weeks will tell the tale. We won't win going forward playing like we did last night or any week prior. Wins are wins, I get it, but all the mishaps, poor decisions, blown plays will cost us dearly during this stretch. Just don't see us cleaning this stuff up when it counts most.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT