ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

I'm somewhat surprised it looks like Pope is going to have at least a 4 man freshman class this year.

That locks up more than half our roster over two years to guys who have not yet demonstrated their ability to play in college. We can't exactly cut Travis Perry, Noah Trent, Jasper Johnson, or Malachi Moreno and keep in Billy Joe Wildcat's good graces, either, so those scholarships are locked in.

We presumably won't know how many transfers he plans to take until after the year but I am curious to know if he's stated anywhere his exact strategy regarding high school guys vs. transfers because I don't think I've seen it with any specifics.
Scholarships go from 13-15 next year which will allow his some more roster flexibility including perhaps some long-term developmental players (like Noah).

I'm somewhat surprised it looks like Pope is going to have at least a 4 man freshman class this year.

That locks up more than half our roster over two years to guys who have not yet demonstrated their ability to play in college. We can't exactly cut Travis Perry, Noah Trent, Jasper Johnson, or Malachi Moreno and keep in Billy Joe Wildcat's good graces, either, so those scholarships are locked in.

We presumably won't know how many transfers he plans to take until after the year but I am curious to know if he's stated anywhere his exact strategy regarding high school guys vs. transfers because I don't think I've seen it with any specifics.

• Haha
Reactions: Hank Camacho
As much money as this place has behind it…can we not get a REAL and not janky ass web link/image/gif posting scheme? I mean, seriously…

(Putting out the Geoff bat signal)

Duke did a smart thing by scheduling an exhibition with Arizona State before we play them.

Arkansas (as many probably know) has an exhibition with Kansas next week in Fayetteville. What many may not realize is that their 2nd regular season game will be in Dallas against Baylor.

UNC plays at Kansas that first regular season week as well.

I’m one of the homeroom moms for preschool and I’ve got to send a 2nd email/sign up genius in as many days for all these parties the kids are having. I’m channeling my inner @IsRichieGonnaStart as I type. “Parents, I apologize for back to back emails but if you could please consider bringing in a healthy snack, pumpkins plates or a book to read to the class, we would greatly appreciate it.”

WS probably makes that kind of stuff (Homeroom mother/team mother/designated organizer/party planner/etc. run like a Swiss f***ing watch. Zero doubt about it. And if someone f***s up, and doesn't bring what they're supposed to, is there any doubt she probably has backups with her, and fixes it? LOL

WS - you have a detergent/stain remover pen in your purse, don't you... 😉 😀

Aren’t we losing like 10 guys minimum or something nuts? I think these first couple years will be outliers and my hope is we’ll have some pretty good player retention and need 2-3 freshmen a year tops.

Also planning a februa trip with our kids to the Bahamas. Theyll be 8,6, and 3. We’re between Atlantis and Baha Mar and I feel like a GYERO crew did one of those recently, is that right? Any recs?

Aren’t we losing like 10 guys minimum or something nuts? I think these first couple years will be outliers and my hope is we’ll have some pretty good player retention and need 2-3 freshmen a year tops.

Also planning a februa trip with our kids to the Bahamas. Theyll be 8,6, and 3. We’re between Atlantis and Baha Mar and I feel like a GYERO crew did one of those recently, is that right? Any rec
7 seniors (Kerr and Almonor could possibly get waivers to come back but there's no indication yet that either intend to try to come back). Also, we only filled 12 or 13 possible scholarships this year.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
We went to Baha Mar the past 2 summers (adult trip) with @CSC81, @B.B.d.K., @Bonzo Cat and other friends. We also went to Atlantis 3 times when the Cats were playing (2014, 2016 and 2018 I think). I think the water park is good for kids at both places. But the thing that’s nice about Baha Mar is how close everything is at the resort. You can walk whereas at Atlantis it’s so spread out you may prefer taking the shuttle. Also, Baha Mar is much closer to the airport.

The last time I was at Epcot was around 2015. My wife and I got talked into going to Disney with my Dad and stepmom. They said we wouldn't have to pay anything, that they would cover it.

What I didn't know was that they had wrangled us into one of those f***ing timeshare "free" vacation deals. If that wasn't bad enough, I developed an abcessed molar on the way down. The pain was so bad by the third day, that all I could do was meditate into it. My dentist called in an antibiotic but refused to call in a painkiller. So it was ibuprofen, and weed for a week. So I probably don't have the best memories of Epcot in light of that.

My wife had two Vicodin that she gave me before we went to the Magic Kingdom. I took both, smoked half a blunt (my Dad and Stepmom were freaked out about that; me getting high in the parking lot. Too bad, the pain was exquisite) I also had an 8 ounce flask of Wild Turkey with me too. They didn't know about that.

I was worried about metal detectors, so I slipped the flask into a pocket on the scooter/rascal that my stepmom was using as we approached the entrance (she had no idea) and then retrieved it once we were in. Anyway, I got to ride Pirates of the Carribean, high, and hopped on Vicodin. It added a lot to the experience.

(I have an actual gold tooth/crown now, where that tooth used to be. My dentist was way old school, and retired shortly after that. The guy that took over his practice laughed his ass off when he saw it. He couldn't believe that anyone was still putting in actual gold teeth anymore. I gave my wife strict instructions, that if I'm on my death bed/hospice/whatever, that as soon as she's POSITIVE I'm dead, to get a pair of pliers, which she should have in her purse, and yank that f***ing thing out of my head, before they take the body)
That's GOLD Jerry...GOLD!!!

Reactions: HymanKaplan
Best Flights Power 5:
  1. The Friday ~1PM flight to a vacation destination where you slam several beers at the airport bar with your buddies
  2. The Saturday ~9 AM flight to another city to take in a ballgame or something when the airport's kind of quiet and you have time to slam several screwdrivers, Mimosas or Bloody Mary)
  3. The Thursday evening flight to Las Vegas from Dallas or Houston where the energy is super high because everybody's excited about going to Vegas, but it's not so long (like an East Coast to Vegas flight) that everybody has already shot their wad on drinks at the airport and in the plane.
  4. The flight back home from Europe where you're in business class and you leave Europe at like 9AM and land in say Chicago at 2PM. You have time to drink, eat, sleep and recover and still have the rest of your day left when you land.
  5. The Thursday 3 PM flight back home from a work trip where you avoided taking the last flight out and you'll still have time to get home for dinner.

Worst Flights Power 5:
  1. Redeye flight back from Vegas. Everybody is pissed off and tired. This is like the Jordan of worst flights. Huge gap between this and the next flights.
  2. Redeye flights in general... especially to Europe or when you have to connect the next morning.
  3. Monday 6 AM flights. Should be self explanatory.
  4. Friday evening flight coming home from work. It's basically like you worked til 11 PM on Friday, and you missed on Friday evening at home.
  5. Sunday evening flights. Airports are crowded. Work the next day. Just sucks.

We took one red eye home from Vegas. One. I will never do that again. The layover in Atlanta was miserable.

The Southwest SDF flight to Vegas for the Monk game was awesome. Almost everyone on that flight was going out there for the game. Cats cheers, high fives and we drank all their bud light (which was ALWAYS the case when KY fans were taking over a place. I’ll never forget 2012 when me and Deb Bean would call ahead to sports bars and warn them. They didn’t believe us. Until they did.)

Reactions: WayneDougan
Best Flights Power 5:
  1. The Friday ~1PM flight to a vacation destination where you slam several beers at the airport bar with your buddies
  2. The Saturday ~9 AM flight to another city to take in a ballgame or something when the airport's kind of quiet and you have time to slam several screwdrivers, Mimosas or Bloody Mary)
  3. The Thursday evening flight to Las Vegas from Dallas or Houston where the energy is super high because everybody's excited about going to Vegas, but it's not so long (like an East Coast to Vegas flight) that everybody has already shot their wad on drinks at the airport and in the plane.
  4. The flight back home from Europe where you're in business class and you leave Europe at like 9AM and land in say Chicago at 2PM. You have time to drink, eat, sleep and recover and still have the rest of your day left when you land.
  5. The Thursday 3 PM flight back home from a work trip where you avoided taking the last flight out and you'll still have time to get home for dinner.

Worst Flights Power 5:
  1. Redeye flight back from Vegas. Everybody is pissed off and tired. This is like the Jordan of worst flights. Huge gap between this and the next flights.
  2. Redeye flights in general... especially to Europe or when you have to connect the next morning.
  3. Monday 6 AM flights. Should be self explanatory.
  4. Friday evening flight coming home from work. It's basically like you worked til 11 PM on Friday, and you missed on Friday evening at home.
  5. Sunday evening flights. Airports are crowded. Work the next day. Just sucks.
Rack every last word

We took one red eye home from Vegas. One. I will never do that again. The layover in Atlanta was miserable.

The Southwest SDF flight to Vegas for the Monk game was awesome. Almost everyone on that flight was going out there for the game. Cats cheers, high fives and we drank all their bud light (which was ALWAYS the case when KY fans were taking over a place. I’ll never forget 2012 when me and Deb Bean would call ahead to sports bars and warn them. They didn’t believe us. Until they did.)
2014 f4 “alumni” tent against wisc….they ran out of miller light about 2 hours before the first game started. We warned them walking in they didn’t have enough…they didn’t believe us

I used to work on the West Coast each week and would take a redeye every Thursday night where I would connect in Atlanta. We'd land at like 5 AM and my connecting flight to Louisville wouldn't be til almost 8:30. I'd typically go find some unused gate in the Atlanta airport to sleep behind. It was an absolutely miserable experience.

I used to work on the West Coast each week and would take a redeye every Thursday night where I would connect in Atlanta. We'd land at like 5 AM and my connecting flight to Louisville wouldn't be til almost 8:30. I'd typically go find some unused gate in the Atlanta airport to sleep behind. It was an absolutely miserable experience.
Can confirm this itinerary still exists to this day. From PHX not Vegas, but same times.

Reactions: WayneDougan
Any more the flight rankings for me are any flight that I don't have someone next to me is immediately the best flight. US domestic air travel has become disgustingly 3rd world. It's a joke.

I guess when you put a guy in charge who's only job description is "Former Mayor of South Bend, IN" you can't expect too much.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT