ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

I could take a nap listening to Goose. Somehow even though he's only been on the broadcast for a few years, his voice is pure nostalgia already. The comfort of an old papaw talkin bout the cats.

Speaking of that... there's a website/podcast called sleepbaseball. Fictional baseball broadcasts designed to be sleepy as all-get-out.

Coming down with something. Excruciating sore throat. Concocted an elixir last night. Equal parts bourbon and apple cider with a couple of dashes of bitters. May make it to the fall rotation even when I don't have the epizootic. (Mags talks about palpedia of the palm or whatever, but the old timers in my family called everything the epizootic).

Still can't make heads or tails of the basketball cats. Just not used to having a bunch of misused NBA all stars. The drop in talent jumps off the screen to me. At the same time, it's the most talent Pope has ever had, and BYU was a top 25 team that competed with top programs.

As much as I wanted to root for Diego Pavia, dude was unlikeable as hell in his post game interview. He emulates Johnny Football on the field, but he goes even harder mimicking the worst parts of JF's personality. Probably buys kratom when he stops at the gas station. Hope we crush his hype. Gotta finish when we get pressure.

I could take a nap listening to Goose. Somehow even though he's only been on the broadcast for a few years, his voice is pure nostalgia already. The comfort of an old papaw talkin bout the cats.

Speaking of that... there's a website/podcast called sleepbaseball. Fictional baseball broadcasts designed to be sleepy as all-get-out.

Coming down with something. Excruciating sore throat. Concocted an elixir last night. Equal parts bourbon and apple cider with a couple of dashes of bitters. May make it to the fall rotation even when I don't have the epizootic. (Mags talks about palpedia of the palm or whatever, but the old timers in my family called everything the epizootic).

Still can't make heads or tails of the basketball cats. Just not used to having a bunch of misused NBA all stars. The drop in talent jumps off the screen to me. At the same time, it's the most talent Pope has ever had, and BYU was a top 25 team that competed with top programs.

As much as I wanted to root for Diego Pavia, dude was unlikeable as hell in his post game interview. He emulates Johnny Football on the field, but he goes even harder mimicking the worst parts of JF's personality. Probably buys kratom when he stops at the gas station. Hope we crush his hype. Gotta finish when we get pressure.
Do NOT talk shit about Kratom. As I open my Viva Zen 2X strength bottle and chug it. (only CERTAIN gas stations has them, you know the ones).

My childhood hero. As a 12 year old I saw him hang that 41 in the Checkerdome, old St. Louis hockey barn.

In my adulthood, I've met him several times and once told him he was my childhood hero. I'd always wear 21 because of him.

Smooth as silk, humble and gracious as they come.

Ran into him at Texas Roadhouse up here about a dozen years ago. He saw my dad staring at him and came over. I said, “Hey Goose - how are you?” Then loudly said to my mom and sister, “This is Goose Givens - he dropped 41 on Duke in the ‘78 championship.”

It was the least I could do. Hope he gets similar introductions every day the rest of his life. He was very kind.

Not sure who enjoys being a Wildcat legend most between he, Bowie and SkyWalker.

I’m not sure who else outside of Livingston and Edwards have been Klutch, but other than those guys sucking ass is the fact that they had no interest WHATSOEVER in college bball. They were gone no matter what. That whole culture can GGP
Hey I'm sure it is a huge coincidence that Shaedon Sharpe is currently milking an injury for the umpteenth time in his young career.

Who is on the Mount Rushmore of gentlemen from UK Basketball? Tubby is a leadpipe lock. So are Goose and Joe. B. What about Cawood?

Edwards and Skal have to be the most disappointing Cal freshmen, right?

Edwards at least had some moments when he wasn’t bricking wide open layups like a child not knowing how to properly release his video game button.

The only real memory I have of Skal is him hitting Ben Simmons in the dick after Cal loudly told him to “play tougher”.

Like, seriously that’s it.

Hey I'm sure it is a huge coincidence that Shaedon Sharpe is currently milking an injury for the umpteenth time in his young career.

Who is on the Mount Rushmore of gentlemen from UK Basketball? Tubby is a leadpipe lock. So are Goose and Joe. B. What about Cawood?
You'll need more room than just four in that category. Mr. Wildcat is up there too.

Edwards and Skal have to be the most disappointing Cal freshmen, right?

Edwards at least had some moments when he wasn’t bricking wide open layups like a child not knowing how to properly release his video game button.

The only real memory I have of Skal is him hitting Ben Simmons in the dick after Cal loudly told him to “play tougher”.

Like, seriously that’s it.

Khalil "The Dragon" Whitney deserves a long look here. Top 12 ranked 5 star with all the physical attributes to be a dominant player. Was horrendous here and never sniffed an NBA roster.

- I've wanted the Niko kid for a while now, if only because it'd be cool to have a kid named "Niko" on the team.

- I've also preferred Cenac over Caleb, even though he's not as highly regarded. Just seemed like a better fit.

- Wife got me a Seattle Kraken jersey for Father's Day, so I'm wearing it today in honor of Opening Night (no meetings scheduled). I usually roll my eyes at "Jersey Guy", but hockey jerseys just hit different. Will probably get some looks at Kroger(s).

- First Madness I've looked forward to in.....?

- These MLB playoffs are full of vitriol. Perfect little mid-week sports action.

images

Hell yes - I don't remember them at UK that well - was only 6 when they won it all

I remembered seeing him on a barnstormers tour in middlesboro with other ulumni - around 1989 maybe?

Love him as a commentator too -
There you go young fella!!

He was too much of a tweener for the NBA?
Did he get hurt or something?

Last edited:
I just remember Skal coming in looked like Anthony Davis with a better jumper but he ended up being a homeless man’s Gimel Martinez

😅
Yep

Kind of a less physically developed - slightly more anemic - and WAY more timid version of Tayshaun Prince

You can't be ALL finesse, man
Teams need players with a little nastiness in 'em - and enough meat on their bones and trunk-junk to MOVE a MF'er around

See also:

Hurt, Charles
Magliore, Jamaal
Bennett, Winston
Jones, Terrance
Cousins, Damarcus Beyatch

^ couple of those types got a little Cra-Cra in them eyes too

Reactions: WellerSR
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT