ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Guaranteed, if I was coaching WD's kid, Wayne would be banned from games/practices within a fortnight.

I know the look...

For any of you that go down that thankless road, watch for these signs.

Wraparound Oakley sunglasses (not a guarantee, but it's a big red flag)

Last parent leaving, "hoping to get a word with you"

Nervous wife

Insists that 6 and 7 year olds need to wrap up practice with a 45 minute session of bull in the ring.

Oh, and criticizes a basic running offense, that functions mainly to teach and reinforce fundamentals, and insists that 1st and 2nd grade kids need to be running a west coast offense, with motion, extensive route trees, and zone blocking schemes...

Last edited:
What’s the move if your kid’s rec league coach is a total f’ing moron? The two assistants are fantastic, but can only stand around and roll their eyes. Dude is unprepared, the kids spend half the practice just standing around, and the other half of the time they are doing things incorrectly. At what point can I tell this fat slob he needs to go?
^HK, typically wearing a visor behind home plate with his arms crossed. Trying to coach junior during the at bat is another sign.

Why I am not surprised. Coached 20 years and you’re exactly who I would expect to be asking this on a message board.

The day I give my kid’s tee ball coach a hard enough time I’m calling him a fat slob on a message board. Is the day I call a therapist.

Last edited:
You're describing more of an alpha dad. I see Wayne as the dad that wants to discuss why the team doesn't practice squeeze bunting (or charges in basketball), his sons spot in the lineup (he's batting .094) or insisting on the club meeting on Sunday afternoons to review bible study (regardless of affiliation).

Reactions: Catman100 and NW50
Matt, is Cal basically an introvert who has a small set of "his" people, but is really just a homebody? Kinda feels that way based on what has been reported.
I think that’s true. But he just became rude, condescending and just not pleasant to be around. Its unfortunate bc he wasn’t like that. But he just changed and it was to everyone, including the people he likes.

C'mon... I feel like you guys know me better than that.

I coached this age group (but girls) for three seasons. I love this league - pitching machine ball - as I think it's the most enjoyable up until the kids get to age 13-14. I would still be coaching, but I had to start traveling for work so I can't do it any longer.

The name of the game for this league is reps. Have the kids stay active. If you have 2 assistant coaches you shouldn't be running a ground ball line with 12 kids in it. Break it up into at least two groups of 6. But better yet, have 3 stations of 3-4 to increase the reps and rotate every 5 minutes. At the same time, have another dad throwing BP to one kid. Reps, reps, reps. It keeps the kids interested too.

The second one - in terms of winning - is to find the one or two kids on the team who are awful and work like hell on making them competent in a few skill sets. There's always a kid who you will think is blind they are so far off swinging at a baseball. You'll also have one that can't throw a baseball 10 feet. Both of these problems can be fixed with special attention on these players. They won't be all-stars, but you won't have an automatic out and they'll be able to get the ball back to the infield. But more importantly, they'll feel good about themselves. This requires someone's time... so what do you do? Ask parents for help. Even show them YouTube videos on how to teach kids to throw.

What I listed above is ideal. But my threshold for not complaining is that the coach does a tiny bit more than the following:
  • Slowly hit t-ball soft grounders, one at a time, with a single ball so that every throw away adds 30 seconds of nothingness, for half the practice.
  • Does 15 minutes of "situational" baseball practice where he doesn't provide any instruction of what to do with the ball or even yell, "so where's the play?" before the ball is hit.
  • Provides single AB batting practice where only 10 of 12 kids gets to hit because he can't remember who batted.
I don't ask for much fellas. I hope that doesn't make me a bad parent.

We're going to look like a church (Methodist) league team, with a few host families' foreign exchange students sprinkled in, when we get off the bus next year.

(That drops 50 on you by halftime and you have no idea how it happened...)

Also, Saunders looks like "that guy", the one that is infuriating to guard.

Half of our team will probably get into late evening debates about topics such as, "Does the slide rule still have a functional purpose in today's world?"

Last edited:
What’s the move if your kid’s rec league coach is a total f’ing moron? The two assistants are fantastic, but can only stand around and roll their eyes. Dude is unprepared, the kids spend half the practice just standing around, and the other half of the time they are doing things incorrectly. At what point can I tell this fat slob he needs to go?
Wait, there’s NO WAY John Calipari coaches your kid’s little league team dude.

Wait, there’s NO WAY John Calipari coaches your kid’s little league team dude.
I was thinking about how to follow up on that previous post to let you all understand my problem. The first practice the head coach didn’t show, so the assistant ran it. Dude was like a college coach mixed with a cartoon character. Had the kids running all over the place, having fun, working on their game. Every drill was a competition for bubble gum and each kid who lost had a chance to improve how he performed to win some gum. I loved it! Then the head coach came and the assistant basically had to just stand there.

My comparison I came up with tied to what you said Rogue. It was like you thought your son signed up to play for Dan Hurley, and then two practices in Cal walked up and told Hurley to step aside he’ll take it from here.

I don’t want to coach this team. I just want Hurley back and Cal gone.

• Haha
Reactions: roguemocha
Always teach: Step and throw, step with left throw with right one fluid motion. This is how you practice. Then in game will do it naturally.

Watch the ball all the way to the bat. Teaches focus and discipline but they will be able to hit out of park faster.

Let the ball come to you when batting. Patience is taught, but it’s this that makes that ball go farther.

Double Bubble

• Wow
Reactions: Geese Feeder
C'mon... I feel like you guys know me better than that.

I coached this age group (but girls) for three seasons. I love this league - pitching machine ball - as I think it's the most enjoyable up until the kids get to age 13-14. I would still be coaching, but I had to start traveling for work so I can't do it any longer.

The name of the game for this league is reps. Have the kids stay active. If you have 2 assistant coaches you shouldn't be running a ground ball line with 12 kids in it. Break it up into at least two groups of 6. But better yet, have 3 stations of 3-4 to increase the reps and rotate every 5 minutes. At the same time, have another dad throwing BP to one kid. Reps, reps, reps. It keeps the kids interested too.

The second one - in terms of winning - is to find the one or two kids on the team who are awful and work like hell on making them competent in a few skill sets. There's always a kid who you will think is blind they are so far off swinging at a baseball. You'll also have one that can't throw a baseball 10 feet. Both of these problems can be fixed with special attention on these players. They won't be all-stars, but you won't have an automatic out and they'll be able to get the ball back to the infield. But more importantly, they'll feel good about themselves. This requires someone's time... so what do you do? Ask parents for help. Even show them YouTube videos on how to teach kids to throw.

What I listed above is ideal. But my threshold for not complaining is that the coach does a tiny bit more than the following:
  • Slowly hit t-ball soft grounders, one at a time, with a single ball so that every throw away adds 30 seconds of nothingness, for half the practice.
  • Does 15 minutes of "situational" baseball practice where he doesn't provide any instruction of what to do with the ball or even yell, "so where's the play?" before the ball is hit.
  • Provides single AB batting practice where only 10 of 12 kids gets to hit because he can't remember who batted.
I don't ask for much fellas. I hope that doesn't make me a bad parent.
Wayne is 1000% correct. The above is a perfect blueprint to youth baseball practice. The bullet points can be criticized. Volunteering is excellent, but you should have an ounce of self-awareness at what you know and can do - if you suck as a coach, you are wasting a year for kids and parents...sounds like the dude doesnt even make it fun. If you suck, at least make it fun.

And I hope you are at Lyndon so my bad news bears have a chance at a win.

Reactions: anthonys735
-Have you thought about discussing it with the head coaches wife during a game of 1 on 1 basketball? Could be an option.

-Just have the guys that are assisting offer to go run a few stations or do individual work. Then gradually become more vocal.

-BUT Assuming he's not being out of line with the kids, probably best you leave it alone. Bite your tongue and then move on next season. Nothing good comes from bitching to your youth head coach, even if they stink.

~Reading how some of you would coach/teach youth baseball makes David Bell look like Casey Stengel.

~Interesting campaign season...the dementia patient is hellbent on ruining the country, and Trump is in court. Going to be interesting.

~Gatewood had some good ideas, but he had as much chance of being Gov as Pti making knowledgeable contributions to TWiB.

~Pope is doing everything right so far in terms of making himself known to the CBB world. Meeting recruits in person at BG Field is A+. He should show up to Big Z's classes and keep on him to stay.

~Nelly vs Scottie needs to happen in what would slam dunk King vs Riggs.

~A cool 13-20 from top of the key this morning to win our morning Y shoot-a-round... "we goin sizzler"

Enjoy your Tuesday, and may all of your dreams be filled with pink unicorns, puppies, and a BLT on Wonder Bread.

That is a hell of a shot but super difficult. You would think in the NBA they could draw up a play to get a better look than that.

I’ve forgotten most of the Cal Era….

The Jamal Murray Cats (who I assume were sort of good?) lost to the 14th seeded Indiana Hoosiers. Is that correct?

Coach wearing the Ole Bike coaching shorts / nut-huggers, and the smedium T-shirt that should be an XL, is some serious red flags. Extra flag if he wears the turf cleats like he is dressing out and playing.

Glad Cal is gone for many reasons, but was thinking about the story he told Perry "to visit but NOT accept the scholarship" would have been a very uneasy situation. You know damn well Cal would have had a very serious hard on for the kid.

I think the Reds have more problems than not being able to hit lefties, but OK.

I would slide the 2 assistant coaches a C-note and undermine the shit out of the head coach. Whatever it takes, jut win baby.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT