ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

-

-The Brotherhood having a reality offseason. Guess those dudes aren't willing to battle with a huge crop of elite freshmen. Role players are getting more and more valuable on the market.

Beat me to it, nice to see. But also kinda puts a bow on the fact it's just a different sport now for *everyone*. 6 portal entries already? Duke was seemingly immune from that kind of stuff mostly...not anymore, nor is anyone.

Reactions: wcc31
Took a beaten out at Keeneland yesterday, and loved every second. My little guy cashed an exacta. Today’s weather will have me locked in for the gambol portion of the afternoon.

Toured a bunch of small towns. Bloomfield and Versailles were favs.

Met my boys yesterday in Middletown for drinks. Six dudes drinking margs with 4-5 deep sessions of belly laughs whilst quoting Jerky Boys and the infamous Mark Knopfler prank call era of comedy.

My vote would be for UK to exclusively license Puma suede low tops. Beats Cons and Nike by a long shot. Tubby era unis with the slender shoulder straps are best.

Lexington traffic is an issue guys. Clean it up.

Cats/Vols tonight, 12 hour roadtrip north at 5:00am.

-Finally ready to dive into baseball season. Can’t wait 🐻.

-Dog walk to the dispo with flops and no shirt on soaking in the sun, tough to beat on a Friday morning.

-Love that weather you all are getting up there but boy oh boy is it getting hot here early and after what they had last year with the heat, not good.

Hot summers = Hurricanes and this is going on back to back years.

Interesting article on the NCAA / NIL issue. There's a current lawsuit that is either going to bankrupt the NCAA, or (more likely) bring a negotiated / agreed change to the landscape - athletes suing for *retroactive* NIL.

I've said a lot about the book The Cartel. It's been 12 years since I read it, and upon further research today, I was incorrect about some of the timeline.

The term "student-athlete" came along in the 1950s, under the NCAA's first Executive Director, Walter Byers. By the time Byers retired in the 1980s, he completely changed his stance and recognized that there needed to be some sort of compensation model.

Obviously, the organization has fought that for all these years, but this pending lawsuit is going to result in change, one way or another.

It's just kind of crazy that after 100+ years, the issue of "employment" is still at the core of everything, and still hasn't yet been resolved.

One week out of the hospital:

- So my son never actually got *sick*. We noticed in the last month or two that he had started eating more than normal and drinking a lot of water/peeing. I chalked it up to a growth spurt of a 4 and 1/2 year old, my wife was quietly concerned about it. While we were in Augusta he stayed with my MIL and she made a comment noticing the same thing and while we were on the way back she said he peed the bed, which hasn’t happened in 2+ years.

- At that point wife is convinced he’s diabetic the whole way home and I’m trying to remain optimistic. We get home, unpack, I run to pick up our daughter from school and my wife runs him to the pediatrician. We were in the ER by 5 pm and his blood sugar was 500+ after not eating since lunch.

- We were in the hospital from about midnight Tuesday night until after lunch Friday, so the entire time we were without a basketball coach. I attempted to keep up with everything during the down time but between the emotional swings and all of the information that was being thrown at us it was impossible.

- @krazykats I just want to say that your post was the first beacon of hope I had. Someone with the experience telling me it would be better was what I needed was the most important thing because at the time it felt impossible. Since then we've had a number of other people reach out to us too that we never know were diabetic.

- The only thing I knew coming in about diabetics is you get lots of shots. Thankfully the technology for blood sugar and insulin has come a long way and before long we'll just put readers/pumps on his every few days but for right now were going through 11 needles a day.

- What I didn't realize is how much math goes into insulin. Every single carb he eats has to be accounted for and basically has to be placed into an algebra problem along with his blood sugar level before he eats.

- Doctors told us to let him eat whatever he wants for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and just correct it with insulin but go ZERO carbs for his snacks to avoid unneeded shots. Something I've learned during this week is that leaves you very limited, zero sugar and zero net carbs does not mean zero carbs. Snacks now consist of string cheese, cheddar pork rinds, turkey, and zero sugar jell-o. Zero sugar whipped cream has also been a God send when he wants something sweet.

- I've been blessed enough with a job and a boss that has let me stay home and work when I need to from home these first couple weeks to get life back to normal. My wife only worked part time so we made the decision for her to leave her job, at least until he started Kindergarten in August, to take care of him and not place everything on her mother but when she went to tender her resignation her boss told her to bring home a computer and printer and work as many or as little hours as she wants because even a little bit helped them. We were blown away.

- Tuesday after an emotional day of friends and family blessing us waaaaay more than we deserve I got in insurance letter stating that my our stay in the hospital wasn't going to be covered because it wasn't "medically necessary" and I probably hit rock bottom worse than any point in my life. Ultimately after talking to the hospital it seems like its a paperwork issue and everything would be covered like normal but some lady at BC&BS got to hear me yell at her a lot. Baffling they would send out a letter like that that quickly though.

- Life is somewhat back to normal again but it's basically like bringing home a newborn again. Scheduled feedings, waking up in the middle of the night to check him, making sure you have a bag of stuff every time you leave the house, etc.

Sorry for the wall of text but it's cathartic to get it all out. If you read everything you're probably a better person than I am.

Now lets start actually fielding a basketball team.

Happy to hear that cricket!

Just a heads up for when you start to get the Omni Pods that have a cannula BC/BS will also try to get out of covering that and try to stick it to your Rx plan. Rx won’t cover it because it technically is not medicine.

They’ll both play dumb and new as if thousands of people aren’t already on this and in their system.

Anyway I don’t want to clutter, but it’s another one of those “isn’t covered” battles you’ll go thru.

If you ever need advice or have a “how did you handle this” question I’m around.

My son got a pair of goggles from Tyler Gaffalione. Over the moon for a $3 piece of plastic!

I miss the magic of childhood.
My son got a pair from Calvin Borel years back, he was racing at the Soybean Infield. Better known as Ellis Park. Funny thing is, I couldn't understand a GD thing Calvin said. No teeth and his Cajun Coonass accent made him hard to comprehend.

The city's insurance is self funded and we have our own pharmacy so hopefully we can avoid it but thanks for the heads up.

??? I simply made a post to Kooky that my son also got a pair of goggles from a famous jockey once upon a time. Something offend you with my post ? I do not see the connection between creeksman and my post you quoted ?

Watching this Portal like a hawk, I can't help but think of the championships we could've bought assuming we had a coach who actually tried.

I mean, HOFJVC was literally built for this. Did he hate BJW and this state so much that he simply refused to work?

There are so many players for sale, all that dumbass had to do was buy 1 or 2 KEY pieces a year. Whatever it took to overcome his lack of coaching.

Went with some buddies to chapel hill in late 2010 to watch Brandon knight and T Jones lead the whole game only to lose it in the final 90 seconds.

Went by the Duke campus and ran around for a bit. Went down to the football field and walked around forever trying to find Cameron indoor. Even asked a lady on campus and she had no idea. When we finally found out which building it was we realized that we had walked by it three or four times without knowing.

I Was glad to be able to watch a game at the dean dome but that’s one part of the world I hope im never in again

Reactions: jayroon
Watching this Portal like a hawk, I can't help but think of the championships we could've bought assuming we had a coach who actually tried.

I mean, HOFJVC was literally built for this. Did he hate BJW and this state so much that he simply refused to work?

There are so many players for sale, all that dumbass had to do was buy 1 or 2 KEY pieces a year. Whatever it took to overcome his lack of coaching.
He didn’t know how to coach them once he did get them. I know you sort of said that with your last line, but there is no collective amount of talent in the world that could have ever overcome that.

How much more talent do you need than having future NBA players as reserves for 15 years?

Calipari's fall at Kentucky is really the stuff of Greek tragedy. In February of 2014, he looked like he was coming after K as the preeminent coach of the next ten years. Now he's at Arkansas getting a money bukkake from Jerry Jones and the chicken guy to go recruit tons of talent and achieve mediocre results.

I always thought the dementia speculation was bush league, tbh, and wish people wouldn't do it but it sure looks like *something* is up with the guy and he changed and is no longer the superstar he was.

John Calipari was posed to be the unquestioned king of college basketball's future and now he's a joke. Honestly, it is just really sad. And that's all I'm going to say about his time at Kentucky for quite a while. I hope we beat him by a billion every game and we all wear Earned Not Given t-shirts.

One week out of the hospital:

- So my son never actually got *sick*. We noticed in the last month or two that he had started eating more than normal and drinking a lot of water/peeing. I chalked it up to a growth spurt of a 4 and 1/2 year old, my wife was quietly concerned about it. While we were in Augusta he stayed with my MIL and she made a comment noticing the same thing and while we were on the way back she said he peed the bed, which hasn’t happened in 2+ years.

- At that point wife is convinced he’s diabetic the whole way home and I’m trying to remain optimistic. We get home, unpack, I run to pick up our daughter from school and my wife runs him to the pediatrician. We were in the ER by 5 pm and his blood sugar was 500+ after not eating since lunch.

- We were in the hospital from about midnight Tuesday night until after lunch Friday, so the entire time we were without a basketball coach. I attempted to keep up with everything during the down time but between the emotional swings and all of the information that was being thrown at us it was impossible.

- @krazykats I just want to say that your post was the first beacon of hope I had. Someone with the experience telling me it would be better was what I needed was the most important thing because at the time it felt impossible. Since then we've had a number of other people reach out to us too that we never know were diabetic.

- The only thing I knew coming in about diabetics is you get lots of shots. Thankfully the technology for blood sugar and insulin has come a long way and before long we'll just put readers/pumps on his every few days but for right now were going through 11 needles a day.

- What I didn't realize is how much math goes into insulin. Every single carb he eats has to be accounted for and basically has to be placed into an algebra problem along with his blood sugar level before he eats.

- Doctors told us to let him eat whatever he wants for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and just correct it with insulin but go ZERO carbs for his snacks to avoid unneeded shots. Something I've learned during this week is that leaves you very limited, zero sugar and zero net carbs does not mean zero carbs. Snacks now consist of string cheese, cheddar pork rinds, turkey, and zero sugar jell-o. Zero sugar whipped cream has also been a God send when he wants something sweet.

- I've been blessed enough with a job and a boss that has let me stay home and work when I need to from home these first couple weeks to get life back to normal. My wife only worked part time so we made the decision for her to leave her job, at least until he started Kindergarten in August, to take care of him and not place everything on her mother but when she went to tender her resignation her boss told her to bring home a computer and printer and work as many or as little hours as she wants because even a little bit helped them. We were blown away.

- Tuesday after an emotional day of friends and family blessing us waaaaay more than we deserve I got in insurance letter stating that my our stay in the hospital wasn't going to be covered because it wasn't "medically necessary" and I probably hit rock bottom worse than any point in my life. Ultimately after talking to the hospital it seems like its a paperwork issue and everything would be covered like normal but some lady at BC&BS got to hear me yell at her a lot. Baffling they would send out a letter like that that quickly though.

- Life is somewhat back to normal again but it's basically like bringing home a newborn again. Scheduled feedings, waking up in the middle of the night to check him, making sure you have a bag of stuff every time you leave the house, etc.

Sorry for the wall of text but it's cathartic to get it all out. If you read everything you're probably a better person than I am.

Now lets start actually fielding a basketball team.

Hang in there brother. Have some good friends with it and they’re all good with discipline.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT