ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

200w.gif

Shew, what a swing of emotions over 48 hours. Frustration over missing out on our alleged top targets and one thought to be in the bag for years, to shock and anger at the AD over what seemed like a panic hire...

...then over the next two days, folks start digging into how Pope coached BYU, his approach to the game offensively and defensively and those initial concerns start to fade. Add in the promo Pitino cut that brought many of us raised on his style of Kentucky basketball to tears along with all these 90's players coming out of the woodwork and all the nostalgic vibes are maxed out.

Finally, it's back to being about the name across the chest.

-If anyone wants to make some money, this is the time to pump out some vintage 90s merch. I already have this beauty and the denim shorts but I’m ready to spend way too much money on more.

-A bunch of the band will be back together today. Mills, Dad Shep, Turner, Anderson seem like locks. Maybe an announcement of Padgett joining the staff? Seems like that’s the worst kept secret right now.

-For the first time in a while, looking forward to putting together the roster with a clear vision instead of just putting together whatever 5* we can get and figuring it out later.

That 95/96 video had me teary eyed. During that season I was the age that a great many of y’all are now. I loved that team and Rick Pitino with my whole heart.
When Coach Pitino left, I was heartbroken and angry, but that is another story.

I told this once before a long time ago in here, but that year my oldest daughter was in 5th grade. They had a class assignment to dress up as, and pretend to be their favorite famous person. She chose Tony Delk. We contacted the university and they sent us promo info about Tony D. We also contacted the library in Brownsville TN, his home town. The lady there told Nichole stories about him and sent us more info.

It was something to see my little blue eyed blond daughter go up to the front of the class in her 00 jersey, amongst all the little Spice Girl wannabes.

She started: “ My name is Tony Delk and I play basketball for the University of Kentucky…”

She went on to attend UK and married another UK alum. They are raising 3 UK fans of their own. That is what this University means to so many of us. A generational family of Blue Bloods. Mark Pope can bring that back to us and I am so excited to welcome him home!

If only we could get back the old emotes. Far superior they were.

John Wall seems to be the only Cal player who is level headed about the whole thing. Love that dude.

Tired of all the negatively surrounding the program and this fresh start is just what the doctor ordered. Awesome to see the players I grew up idolizing get on board quickly.

I have no clue how we will be defensively but I want a team that comes out with the goal of running you out of the gym by the first TV timeout. That begins with starting your best 5.

Tell me who's in the house tonight? UK

If only we could get back the old emotes. Far superior they were.
- I’m ashamed to admit how long I spent looking for the old flush emoji. Feels like the only appropriate way to christen a new GYERO.

- 380,185 posts in the old GYERO. A good run. But it’s a new era. See ya.

- Still give Mitch a C- grade for the hire on paper. Feel nervous staking our program’s success on a coach that has never won a NCAA-T game or landed a 5* recruit. But I’m all in on supporting a UK great and hope to hell he creates the next dynasty. And if Cal is gonna run his mouth, he better learn the concept of f*ck around and find out quickly. I’m sure there are a lot of bodies buried at the Craft Center.

- What on Earth is Chumps going to bitch incessantly about now? (Answer: everything 🙄)

- 80 and sunny in the ole Denver metro area. Aerated the lawn, tuned the sprinklers, first mow, fertilized, planted some spring plants, and put the pump back in the fountain. Spring feels a little bit brighter this year….

- Need to get back into golf this year. In my heyday of a 8-10 handicap, bought some Mizuno blades that I can’t hit for shit anymore. Any recs for irons that aren’t for total beginners, but have a decent bit of forgiveness?

- Decent summer sports line-up: NHL and NBA playoffs, Copa America, Euro, and Olympics. Plus the Bat Cats are cruising.

- Seems like positive reports from yesterday’s Spring Game. If Brock can sling it with decent efficiency, next year’s offense could be pretty special.

I think I've told this story at some point so apologies if I have, but my Dad died at 53 from complications from a brain tumor. Love of UK was one of those things that was handed down to me and that we shared. His lucid moments were getting fewer at the end to where the only people he recognized were my stepmother and me. Didn't recognize his siblings or my wife. Sitting by his bed at the hospital a couple days before he passed I was reading a paper and he woke up and asked me what I was looking at and I told him it was something about Fitch and Daniels and we have a three minute talk about basketball and he knew exactly what he was talking about. It was maybe the last time we had a conversation.

Things like today don't seem like a big deal to outsiders but it is. It's not the most important thing in the world but it's a big part of it. I appreciate what Cal did but somewhere, we passed a point of no return. It's feels good to have our program back again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT