ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW ...

Allie LaForce >>>>> Laura Rutledge
Allie-Laforce-Twirl.gif

I’m on the edge generationally on the UNC hate but I’m definitely with Century. The maddest in my life I’ve seen my Dad watching UK games was against UNC.

It was IU, UNC, UL, UT, LSU in that order for me growing up.

Reactions: BigBadBlueDaddy
Normally, I would be on board with the smart fan take on UNC v Duke hate. But Duke went up a notch when they took our corner on the OAD and basically copied everything we did...la familia/the brotherhood, pro combines, celebs at the games. And got none of the hate we got for it.

So yeah, the Dukies are public enemy #1 now.

77 and 95 made me sick - my 2 worst losses ever at the time. But it wasn't until the 98 FF - both before and after the games - that I really experienced the range of their fans initiating shit-talk.

It was astonishing, really - as if we were on Candid Camera. Like, are you really effing serious with this?

The capper was after the 98 semis, 2 UNC fans approached us out of nowhere to inform us that Utah would beat us on Monday.

I said, maybe so, but titles = 6-3. No, we have 4. No, you have 3 --> 57, 82 and 93. I know your history better than you do. Then they claimed the Helms in 24. First I'd ever heard of it.

The ensuing research, mostly spearheaded by atlantahappycat, led to The Quiz.

I get the Duke hate and am there 100%. The sainthood and sanctimony is sickening. But I've hated UNC for decades longer, and expect to have to hate them long after K is gone and Duke is no longer a threat.

/goodnightnow

Normally, I would be on board with the smart fan take on UNC v Duke hate. But Duke went up a notch when they took our corner on the OAD and basically copied everything we did...la familia/the brotherhood, pro combines, celebs at the games. And got none of the hate we got for it.

So yeah, the Dukies are public enemy #1 now.

Disagree. UNC is now and has been for 40 years, the greatest threat to the throne.

I had a box of 100 copies of The Quiz, which I had pre-printed at Kinko's in Lexington 2 days prior, in booklet form with baby blue covers.

With a smile, I walked up and down the aisle of the shuttle, and handed them to every person who would take one. "Tar Heel Basketball: The Facts Behind The Myth".

The bus got silent as people skimmed it over. Then, various curses and sounds of the papers being pitched to the ground as those idiots realized what they were reading.

After the victory, we dropped copies all over Franklin Street, and all over The Carolina Inn. I'm not usually a big shit-talker, but had endured so much over the years from tar heel fans at tournament sites, those F'ers deserved every bit of it.

That’s the best thing I’ve ever read.

That’s George Constanza like.

77 and 95 made me sick - my 2 worst losses ever at the time. But it wasn't until the 98 FF - both before and after the games - that I really experienced the range of their fans initiating shit-talk.

It was astonishing, really - as if we were on Candid Camera. Like, are you really effing serious with this?

The capper was after the 98 semis, 2 UNC fans approached us out of nowhere to inform us that Utah would beat us on Monday.

I said, maybe so, but titles = 6-3. No, we have 4. No, you have 3 --> 57, 82 and 93. I know your history better than you do. Then they claimed the Helms in 24. First I'd ever heard of it.

The ensuing research, mostly spearheaded by atlantahappycat, led to The Quiz.

I get the Duke hate and am there 100%. The sainthood and sanctimony is sickening. But I've hated UNC for decades longer, and expect to have to hate them long after K is gone and Duke is no longer a threat.

/goodnightnow

I was at that game in 95, what a shit show. The bullshit additional foul on McCarty, Sheed trying to choke out Riddick & no foul, freshman Antoine Walker playing in the 1st half with 4 fouls, and quite possibly the maddest I've ever been at a player when Rhodes tried his best all game to match Stackhouse shot for shot (which he couldn't)

I'll never forget watching Pitino storm off the court with the most pissed off look on his face. He got rid of RR and went scorched earth on CBB that next year.

Hey- good chance for sportswriters to make their inconsequential jobs more important than they really are. Props to them for taking the shot.

Reactions: UKcats1988
Duke really should be embarrassed to lose at VaTech!

Honestly should just start looking past them and that S16 matchup too!

The "Charles and Kenny Have No Idea of the Locations or Mascots of The Teams They're Being Paid Millions of Dollars to Cover and Analyze on National Broadcast TV - Isn't This Hilarious?"

segment seemed like it wasn't very well-thought-out.

More accurately, a flat-out, shoot-self-in-foot embarrassment, IMO.

I like how it’s “YOU SHOULD HATE THIS TEAM BECAUSE I DISAGREE WITH ONE OF THEIR ADMINISTRATORS!!!!!” instead of “hey I’m not a huge fan of what this guy said, so I don’t want his school to have success.”

Tell me how to feel, Rob!

Alarm set for 3:20 so we can get get the kids up and out the door by 3:50 so we can be at the airport by 4:15 so we can catch our flight at 5:30 so we can arrive at Punta Cana by 1:30 so I can be in front of a TV with a beer in hand by 2:40 hoping that the wife is cool watching the kids by herself for two hours which she most definitely will not be.

Why we do this.

I love domestic beer snob guy. As I said before, I’ll pour a draft of any of those and you will never know the difference, I do it all the time.

I’m so dumb that I need some journalism major morally directing me, especially for something as consequential as basketball.

Thanks, Rob and Sam.

Reactions: rudd1
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT