ADVERTISEMENT

Grumpyolddog

According to stats it plays better defense, less yards per game, per play and points.
The stats show the defenses are about dead even. For instance yards per game allowed UK ranks 11th nationally at 293 UGA 12th at 294, Points per game allowed UK 16th at 14.8 UGA 15th at 14.5.

Offensively UGA has a small edge, their offense is more balanced and consistent but UK has more explosive plays. For instance rushing YPG Kentucky is 30th at 185 YPG while UGA is 66th at 145 YPG, but OTOH UK is 90th nationally in passing YPG 207 while UGA is 17th at 315 Typically teams that are having success running the ball don't pass as much, which could account for some of this.

(my stats don't include games between FBS and FCS teams)

Reactions: 3Bluefever325
I can tell you one thing, if y’all get us on Saturday, I’ll be rooting like hell for the Cats the rest of the way. No fan base more deserving of seeing their team play in Atlanta and I wouldn’t feel good about somehow weaseling into the SECCG if y’all beat us and we still somehow went.

I think you hit on it here. We know UGA has the dawgs to bring it when they are juiced up and they will be Saturday for sure. I know we will be puffed up with new confidence that we found our identity back and will try to open up and see if we can continue that style of play. But I'm afraid that may cost us the first quarter trying to force the ground game against a stacked front with juiced up dawgs. When energy is up it shows up at the line of scrimmage, that was our big edge last week we played on fire up front.

Its okay to try and run it still but cant be predictable to do it against UGA. Coen is going to have to be creative in mixing up his runs and short passing game as well especially to win 1st down. And have to get you guys moving sideways with motion and play fakes, cant just let dig in and play forward when your jacked up for us.
For us, we have to start fast which we haven't done yet! Our saving grace has been the 4th quarter. We still have the ability to rotate fresh bodies and that is when it shows up. The auburn game was a perfect example, they got gassed.

I am grumpy (not Grumpy) because I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
I stayed at one back in the summer. I was very disappointed in the mattress. Nice clean room but terrible mattress. You didn't miss much!

Reactions: jauk11
For us, we have to start fast which we haven't done yet! Our saving grace has been the 4th quarter. We still have the ability to rotate fresh bodies and that is when it shows up. The auburn game was a perfect example, they got gassed.
Juiced up for a team you have defeated 13 times in a row with Kentucky across their chest? Lol nice try. You guys still have Florida and UT.

Auburn is a bad football team.

Reactions: Dawgs_74
You think Walker is the only player in the SEC that gets held and UGA gets all the calls? In our game sat on the int the DB went through our WR to get the ball, on their TD we had a guy in position to make the tackle and an OL wrapped him up and tackled him from behind. But the worst was the QB took off on a run, crossed the LOS with both feet. Then crossed back and threw a completion.
You can’t get a call at Auburn. Hell, in 2020 CRod was two yards into the end zone and the refs didn’t call a TD. Next play we threw a pick that I believe was almost returned for a TD. Fourteen point swing and a total loss of momentum.

I think UK has played the most complete game of anyone in the SEC and made its statement to be not only the best team in the East but the conference. UGA just hasn't played to expectations this fall, it looks like the hunger is not as strong. If I were a gambler I would take the points, easy money. UK plays the game they played UF it wins by 2+ scores.
2+ IN ATHENS? Nice troll

Reactions: rednblack4life
Juiced up for a team you have defeated 13 times in a row with Kentucky across their chest? Lol nice try. You guys still have Florida and UT.
Yes, juiced up. Florida and Tennessee haven't looked as good as Kentucky. You think Kirby is gonna be ho hum this week?

2+ IN ATHENS? Nice troll
Mmmmm.

Grumpy is as straight shooting as any visiting poster.

We (UK) have had two games in a row where we buried opponents in the first quarter. Georgia has looked distracted or disinterested in several 1st halves and had to rally furiously to come back and win.

If Georgia sleep walks against Kentucky for 30 minutes, it is not unreasonable to think that Kentucky has enough defense to hold onto a lead.

An interesting matchup that I hope lives up to billing.

Make the catch first. Then look downfield.
That's nailing it. In any sport you can easily forget about the fundamentals, especially if things come easy for you like they did for our receivers last year. But you can't take catching the ball for granted, you have to focus on it and "look" the ball right into your hands. Doesn't matter how great your route is and what you 40 times is if you don't do that.

Here's the thing Dallas, I don't think we need a perfect game. that's the difference with this team. Definitely need to get the passing game going and be balanced on O. And an even pr plus column in turnovers would certainly help. And don't shoot ourselves in the foot on penalties/special teams.

But this team doesn't really need perfection and luck. Talent, difference makers on both sides of ball and coaching are all there for once. JMO
Will need some other guys to get out of their funks and step up. I’m sure UGA is scripting ways to contain Davis after his monster games. He will have a shadow or two. They will probably commit to making us throw it and prove we can beat them that way. Need some guys to show up and prove we can if challenged.

Yes, juiced up. Florida and Tennessee haven't looked as good as Kentucky. You think Kirby is gonna be ho hum this week?
And he should not be ho-him. In 2018 we played a tad later in the season, in Lexington, winner take all for the East.

In 2021, our game in the seventh week was the only time two 6-0 East teams have met since the conference divided into East and West in 1992.

UT has a bad road loss to UF. UF has a bad road loss to UK. South Carolina has a bad road loss to UT. Vandy is on life support.

Only Mizzou, UK and UGA are spotless on the year, and Mizzou is waiting for someone to expose their lack of quality depth.

This game is not “winner take all,” as was 2018. Both teams have one fewer win than their Athens tilt in 2021, the game now played a week earlier.

But the implications are as clear as they were in those prior games. The winner of this game will have stamped themselves the favorite to win the East and head to Atlanta.

You think Walker is the only player in the SEC that gets held and UGA gets all the calls? In our game sat on the int the DB went through our WR to get the ball, on their TD we had a guy in position to make the tackle and an OL wrapped him up and tackled him from behind. But the worst was the QB took off on a run, crossed the LOS with both feet. Then crossed back and threw a completion.

This summer you were ADAMANT your D this year would not only be as good but a better D verses 22. You said a couple guys on your DLine would push for ALL SEC and 1st round. Bear and Carter could be replaced. 18 of 22 return on 2 deep.

I contested you had no one resembling Carter, Davis, Wyatt, Walker. Williams is closest to it and he has 1.5 sacks and 4 tackles.

Reactions: PhattyJ4UK
And he should not be ho-him. In 2018 we played a tad later in the season, in Lexington, winner take all for the East.

In 2021, our game in the seventh week was the only time two 6-0 East teams have met since the conference divided into East and West in 1992.

UT has a bad road loss to UF. UF has a bad road loss to UK. South Carolina has a bad road loss to UT. Vandy is on life support.

Only Mizzou, UK and UGA are spotless on the year, and Mizzou is waiting for someone to expose their lack of quality depth.

This game is not “winner take all,” as was 2018. Both teams have one fewer win than their Athens tilt in 2021, the game now played a week earlier.

But the implications are as clear as they were in those prior games. The winner of this game will have stamped themselves the favorite to win the East and head to Atlanta.
Your exactly right! How do you think this team compares to 2018? Better offense, defense, special teams?

This summer you were ADAMANT your D this year would not only be as good but a better D verses 22.
Hmmmmm.

Kentucky leads the conference in August confidence.

Hell, I had us bowling every Curry season, until we squeezed out our first win over a MAC school in September.

Grumpy was prognosticating in the Summer. He is now reporting actual observation.

Last edited:
Your exactly right! How do you think this team compares to 2018? Better offense, defense, special teams?
We have no Josh Allen on the edge, but we have some defensive stand outs in Big Walker in the middle, Hairston at DB, Wallace at linebacker and Alex Afari at safety/nickle that has power at all three levels to likely match our total quality in 2018, without a freak like Allen. And Walker could end up proving to be as big a freak as that biggun’ UGA had for three years.

Our 2018 offense was a grind-it-out model, with a decent QB transfer in Wilson, who had some wheels. Whenever I think of 2018, I see lineman Bunchy Stallings pancake a safety around left end in Gainesville, allowing Benny Snell to hit wide open territory for 35 yards, to be caught from behind by UF speed.

In 2018, friends and I would marvel at Snell, and the fact he never seemed to be running fast, but he was always going forward and defeating tackles at or near the line.

This year, we have All Day Ray Davis at back and to date he is the opposite of Snell: he can be tackled by one defender, but has breakaway speed. And his moves make it tough for one defender to bring him down.

Defensively, I say it is a push with 2018, or a slight edge to the ‘23 unit. In ‘18, the common refrain was our offensive clock control and TOP advantage helped manufacture a Top 10 defense. This year we trail TOP pretty badly, but still look strong on scoring defense and total yardage defense.

Offensively, we are better, with our large number of explosive plays.

Our QB has yet to separate himself statistically from Wilsons’ numbers in 2018, but each week he and the receivers have a few more practices under their belts.

Pointers:! If UGA can eliminate the big play from Kentucky’s arsenal early, it might be a long day for the Cats.

Last edited:
Hmmmmm.

Kentucky leads the conference in August confidence.

Hell, I had us bowling every Curry season.

Grumpy was prognosticating in the Summer. He is now reporting actual observation.

everyone is glass half full in August for sure. Georgia fans are pretty much the most reasonable out there.
I just thought it was totally unrealistic to lose what they did in Carter and lesser extent Bear and be cocksure the DLine would be as good or better. didn't make sense and came across as all knowing to me

Must've not slept a wink, posting at (prime sleep time) 3:30 in the a.m.?
Only 12:30 here, but I often stay up until 4 or later if nothing else to do, not much on TV after that. Wife (before she died) used to marvel how I could be asleep in five minutes if a TV program we were watching ended. Must have had a clear conscience then, but she used to argue it was because I had no conscience, LOL.

I just thought it was totally unrealistic to lose what they did in Carter and lesser extent Bear and be cocksure the DLine would be as good or better. didn't make sense and came across as all knowing to me
Probably an easy mistake to make when replacing 5 Star talent with 5 Star talent.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
We have no Josh Allen on the edge, but we have some defensive stand outs in Big Walker in the middle, Hairston at DB, Wallace at linebacker and Alex Afari at safety/nickle that has power at all three levels to likely match our total quality in 2018, without a freak like Allen. And Walker could end up proving to be as big a freak as that biggun’ UGA had for three years.

Our 2018 offense was a grind-it-out model, with a decent QB transfer in Wilson, who had some wheels. Whenever I think of 2018, I see lineman Bunchy Stallings pancake a safety around left end in Gainesville, allowing Benny Snell to hit wide open territory for 35 yards, to be caught from behind by UF speed.

In 2018, friends and I would marvel at Snell, and the fact he never seemed to be running fast, but he was always going forward and defeating tackles at or near the line.

This year, we have All Day Ray Davis at back and to date he is the opposite of Snell: he can be tackled by one defender, but has breakaway speed. And his moves make it tough for one defender to bring him down.

Defensively, I say it is a push with 2018, or a slight edge to the ‘23 unit. In ‘18, the common refrain was our offensive clock control and TOP advantage helped manufacture a Top 10 defense. This year we trail TOP pretty badly, but still look strong on scoring defense and total yardage defense.

Offensively, we are better, with our large number of explosive plays.

Our QB has yet to separate himself statistically from Wilsons’ numbers in 2018, but each week he and the receivers have a few more practices under their belts.

Pointers:! If UGA can eliminate the big play from Kentucky’s arsenal early, it might be a long day for the Cats.
Our 18 team was better in the backfield with swift, and cook. Recievers weren't as good a group, Mecole Hardman and Tyler Simmons were pretty decent though. Qb was fromm when he was sound. Offensive line should be better now, but run blocking hasn't been up to par. We could be better than 2018 if one of the young dline will catch on. This game is gonna be nuts!

That's true but UGA knew before hand that Auburn would play that dual threat, and a lot of his yardage was on design plays not scrambles - that's part of their offense just as much as the running back and they failed to stop either with any consistency.
Auburn ran zero rpo against the aggies. Hugh freeze took over the play calling and went rpo crazy. We were caught off guard.

The stats show the defenses are about dead even. For instance yards per game allowed UK ranks 11th nationally at 293 UGA 12th at 294, Points per game allowed UK 16th at 14.8 UGA 15th at 14.5.

Offensively UGA has a small edge, their offense is more balanced and consistent but UK has more explosive plays. For instance rushing YPG Kentucky is 30th at 185 YPG while UGA is 66th at 145 YPG, but OTOH UK is 90th nationally in passing YPG 207 while UGA is 17th at 315 Typically teams that are having success running the ball don't pass as much, which could account for some of this.

(my stats don't include games between FBS and FCS teams)

I know that and comment was for the shot HH took. UK has played a great game against UF, if that UK team shows up and Ray Davis has a game like he did i think UK wins comfortably. With all the injuries at RB Beck will have to play well, McConkey appears to be back after missing the 1st 4 games.

everyone is glass half full in August for sure. Georgia fans are pretty much the most reasonable out there.

Carter was best DL in the country last year, Bear had potential to be a good DL, but he was no where near the level of Cater as a Frosh. He would have playeda good bit, but no quarter of starting so he opted to leave. He isnt doing much at USC. The biggest loss was the WR Mitchell who is killing it at Texas.

Mmmmm.

We (UK) have had two games in a row where we buried opponents in the first quarter. Georgia has looked distracted or disinterested in several 1st halves and had to rally furiously to come back and win.

That's exactly how we have looked in every pre game this season. No excitement for it being game day. If UGA expects to win, it will have to be ready at the opening kickoff, not the 2nd half kickoff.

There are some differences this year with this UK team.

1. We have the best DL we have had since '77. They are big, fast and deep with little drop off with the subs. Walker and Silver are disruptive behind the LOS. We have not had anything like that before. Also, we are actually collapsing the pocket. That type of pressure is much tougher on the QB. That could give Beck problems he hasn't faced before. Believe Walker can do the same against Georgia.

2. Five games into the season, five relatively easy wins and believe all will agree the team hasn't remotely played a complete game. That said, it has shown steady improvement. It is good we haven't peaked yet.

3. We have more play makers on offense and defense than I can recall.

4. We also have not been hollowed out by injuries.

5. Young players are stepping up and rapidly improving. Ray on the OL. Afari, Hairston, Wade, Silver and Fearbry are rising on the D.

6. Finally, this team seems to have a quiet swagger missing from past teams. The players have celebrated their wins in a reserved manner. These wins are just steps to a bigger goal. You can see that belief in them. It seems the whole team shares that vision. It was no accident our PUNTER ran down the Florida CORNERBACK on that blocked extra point.

This team has a resolve I have not seen in years past. Again, I say it is a resolve shared by the entire team. It is not just some individual players. THAT IS DIFFERENCE MAKING.

I felt like past teams hoped they were good enough to beat Georgia.

This team is very confident but humble. They know they are good enough and they know what they must do to reach that goal.

Not saying we will win, but I would go to war with these guys in the next foxhole. I like our chances.

One of the biggest keys to the game is the performance of

Coach stoops and the staff.

We have got to have the mentality that we should win the game. Don’t let early setbacks snowball into multiple mistakes. Play to win. 4th and 2 at the 40… know we can get two yards. Don’t have the captain of the defense looking over for play calls on 3rd and 3 with the offense lining up. If refs screw us, don’t be so redassed 4 plays later that you’re too pissed to get us in the best situation. This is the game we get everything right. No unguarded receiver on 4th down.

Do those above and Leary and the receivers simply make the open plays- we will win. I believe it can be done.

One of the biggest keys to the game is the performance of

Coach stoops and the staff.

We have got to have the mentality that we should win the game. Don’t let early setbacks snowball into multiple mistakes. Play to win. 4th and 2 at the 40… know we can get two yards. Don’t have the captain of the defense looking over for play calls on 3rd and 3 with the offense lining up. If refs screw us, don’t be so redassed 4 plays later that you’re too pissed to get us in the best situation. This is the game we get everything right. No unguarded receiver on 4th down.

Do those above and Leary and the receivers simply make the open plays- we will win. I believe it can be done.
Along these same lines, don't let the last two minutes of the first half and the first two minutes of the second half decide the game. We have screwed those four minutes of a 60 minute game up too many times.

Along these same lines, don't let the last two minutes of the first half and the first two minutes of the second half decide the game. We have screwed those four minutes of a 60 minute game up too many times.

Definitely.

Coach stoops calls a flawless game and we simply make the easy pass annd catch and I do believe we can get the W.

Mmmmm.

Grumpy is as straight shooting as any visiting poster.

If Georgia sleep walks against Kentucky for 30 minutes, it is not unreasonable to think that Kentucky has enough defense to hold onto a lead.

An interesting matchup that I hope lives up to billing.
Maybe hes straight shooting, but that seems ridiculous for even the most pessimistic UGA fan to think they are going to lose AT HOME by 2+ scores.

UGA fans are sooo much more classy than FL fans. FL fans would rather us be horrible but them be worse in a loss than to lose to a good UK team. It's nuts how thin FL fans world view of the SEC is.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT