ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Brown

Smashcat

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2012
Brown’s father, mother and uncle all went to Texas — the hometown option — and Brown II acknowledged that there is a “huge pull” in that community to have his son follow in the family’s footsteps. The Longhorns are seen by many recruiting analysts as the favorite, but both father and son say that’s not the case. Brown said all five of his schools are on even footing.

Brown’s dad seems to really like Cal and wants what’s best for his son, doesn’t care what anybody else thinks is best. Sounds like we have a 50/50 shot at least imo. Huge upside on this kid. Probably in top 5 by end of senior season imo.

It really agitates me seeing statements like "Brown said all five of his schools are on even footing."

Everyone knows that this is likely not the case and that there is a favorite but that you have to say statements like the above. I get why it is done. I just wish it wasn't the case and that we could all just say what we mean. How great would it be if a recruit said "I have five teams still on the list but Team X is really on top right now. I'll probably go there unless something changes."

Reactions: kl40504 and jrpross
It really agitates me seeing statements like "Brown said all five of his schools are on even footing."

Everyone knows that this is likely not the case and that there is a favorite but that you have to say statements like the above. I get why it is done. I just wish it wasn't the case and that we could all just say what we mean. How great would it be if a recruit said "I have five teams still on the list but Team X is really on top right now. I'll probably go there unless something changes."

Literally everything they say has to be taken with a grain of salt. They being these high school recruits.

Barnes said if UK got Cunningham, that would really help UK's chances of getting him. Then with positive Cade to UK news coming out, he went ahead and made a decision to go to not Kentucky.

I always joke, a kid could say "I want to play in a blue Jersey, for a school that starts with K. And I wanna play in Rupp arena. " Then they'll turn around pick NC State.

And they're kids. We can't (and shouldn't) call them on their bull$hit. But trying to figure out where someone is going based on their comments/interviews is a losing game.

Reactions: FFWhite
Brown's dad sounds like he wants him here. I know things can change, but at the very least Cal made an extremely convincing pitch.

“We’re more interested in what’s going to best for Greg,” his dad said. “I could give less than a damn what’s best for anybody else. What’s best for my son to be able to develop and get to where he is trying to get to? We’re making our decision based off of that.”
He said he’s heard others imply that anyone could take the recruiting talent Calipari gets and turn them into pros. He’s not buying that angle.

“I don’t think there’s anyone that can do it like he does. Just telling you like it is,” Brown II said. “The proof is in the pudding. If you could, you would. And you’re not. So, with that being said, I think it’s going to be interesting how this process works itself out."

Cal seems to be determined to put together the most ridiculous class of all time. I know we probably won’t land every single one of these guys (and some would have to reclass), but we’re off to a great start. I’m just imagining this class...

Askew
Cunningham
Boston
Clarke
Fletcher
Brown
Ware
Banchero

would be the GOAT class by far

Brown or Banchero. Both can play. Hard to imagine UK could get both.

You’re right, it’s not likely, but still a possibility. They both could co-exist, however. Paolo is more of a face-up/stretch four or five, where as Greg is more of that hyper-athletic rim-runner. Regardless, two exciting players with a lot of upside. It would certainly be a pleasant surprise to end up with both of them.

You’re right, it’s not likely, but still a possibility. They both could co-exist, however. Paolo is more of a face-up/stretch four or five, where as Greg is more of that hyper-athletic rim-runner. Regardless, two exciting players with a lot of upside. It would certainly be a pleasant surprise to end up with both of them.
Coach, do you think either of them could play on your football team?

Reactions: CoachMikeKlein
Coach, do you think either of them could play on your football team?

Absolutely, Bill!

I orchestrated what is unquestionably the greatest comeback this country has ever seen in a collegiate football game in the ‘98 Bourbon Bowl; not even The Bluegrass Miracle could touch my final play from that game!

Hell, I turned the world’s finest water boy into what would have been the number-one overall pick in the NFL draft. If it wasn’t for that Vicki Vallencourt, it would’ve been me that rode off with Bobby on that lawnmower; we would’ve been headed straight for the NFL combine instead of Mamma’s house in the Bayou backwoods. We would’ve been like that Tiger Woods and his daddy on that ESPN.

Paul-Oh and Cade can play for me any day, son.

Brown or Banchero. Both can play. Hard to imagine UK could get both.

I think both would coexist perfectly. The only other big we have committed is Ware and Richards and Montgomery are likely gone regardless of outcome of their season. Even if we begin to play more small ball, these guys can put it on the deck and shoot it a bit.

Absolutely, Bill!

I orchestrated what is unquestionably the greatest comeback this country has ever seen in a collegiate football game in the ‘98 Bourbon Bowl; not even The Bluegrass Miracle could touch my final play from that game!

Hell, I turned the world’s finest water boy into what would have been the number-one overall pick in the NFL draft. If it wasn’t for that Vicki Vallencourt, it would’ve been me that rode off with Bobby on that lawnmower; we would’ve been headed straight for the NFL combine instead of Mamma’s house in the Bayou backwoods. We would’ve been like that Tiger Woods and his daddy on that ESPN.

Paul-Oh and Cade can play for me any day, son.
Coach, if I wasn't so old, I'd play for you!

His dad seemed to really like Cal and has done his research about it. I appreciate parents like this that don't get their info from anyone but get it themselves.

I would be happy to get one of them.

I love Brown's game. He is that hyper athlete with a big motor. He tries to get every rebound and block every shot. Reminds me a lot of Noel the way he approaches the game. Take no prisoners and give no quarter. He also likes to bang his wrist on the rim at the other end. I like guys who want to dunk every play on everybody. Banchero is not as athletic but he is a baller. The outlets he threw in that video were tremendous. With Kentucky's guards running under those it would be a dunk contest. He is big now but has not fully grown into his frame. He could be 20 pounds heavier this time next year. His lower torso looks like a 25 year old. When the upper body catches up he will be a monster.

I have a feeling this kid ends up at Texas like the rest of his family. It all boils down to whether he wants to compete for title or be home town hero

Reactions: kl40504
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT