ADVERTISEMENT

Great article on Mark Pope's comments about being UK coach

IL Wildcat

Feb 20, 2003
Southern IL
I gotta say, I love that he sees himself as a member of the BBN...

I don't want to do much comparing with former coaches, but I'll say this- we haven't had a UK coach who saw himself in these terms since Joe B Hall and I guess I forgot what that would mean to me. I love that Mark Pope loves UK, is a fan of UK, loves BBN, and has been following Kentucky all these years since he played on the 96 team. I love that he has been living and dying by every up and down of UK basketball most of his life, just like the rest of us fans.

This has GOT to help him with recruiting. I mean, you can put on an act for recruits, telling them about the importance of UK men's basketball and how much it means to the fans and the Commonwealth, but here is a guy who has lived it and is still living it. All those things that annoyed the crap out of Calipari- fans wanting to know about every detail- are the same things Pope has been following all his life- same concerns, same questions, that is him. You can't fake that kind of enthusiasm. His is real, and I love it! 😀

I think his enthusiasm and passion for being the coach is what won me over.

The guy is going to give it everything he has because its important to him
Yep, me too tankedcat. I wasn't sold initially. In fact, I said he was a bad hire based on his lack of experience. There are multiple reasons I changed my tune on him, but seeing him at the introductory presser and hearing his passion sealed it for me.

I posted Mark Pope's name when we got turned down by other coaches and a lot of people laughed. I really think he is going to do great at UK. Might take a year or two to get it going but with new coaches that is to be expected.
From what I see so far, he's going to work hard and care greatly about the job, not only professionally but also personally. He's not gonna make excuses or blame. He's going to be a "buck stops here" kind of guy. And I have a feeling, if he were to see that he can't get the job done, he would likely just step aside. I don't think he will fail, though. His enthusiasm makes me want to be a better fan, and his work ethic makes me want to be more conscientious and hard working in my own job. His approach to life and coaching is contagious. I'm not expecting miracles this season, but I wouldn’t be surprised if this season is a great success and a huge surprise for the naysayers.

I don't want to do much comparing with former coaches, but I'll say this- we haven't had a UK coach who saw himself in these terms since Joe B Hall and I guess I forgot what that would mean to me. I love that Mark Pope loves UK, is a fan of UK, loves BBN, and has been following Kentucky all these years since he played on the 96 team. I love that he has been living and dying by every up and down of UK basketball most of his life, just like the rest of us fans.

This has GOT to help him with recruiting. I mean, you can put on an act for recruits, telling them about the importance of UK men's basketball and how much it means to the fans and the Commonwealth, but here is a guy who has lived it and is still living it. All those things that annoyed the crap out of Calipari- fans wanting to know about every detail- are the same things Pope has been following all his life- same concerns, same questions, that is him. You can't fake that kind of enthusiasm. His is real, and I love it! 😀
Of course (and unless I'm mistaken), Joe B. was the last head basketball coach at U.K. who had also played for the 'Cats ! Not surprising that Coach Pope "sounds like Joe B.", given that very important commonality. (Just MHO, of course.)
Go 'Cats ! ! !

I posted Mark Pope's name when we got turned down by other coaches and a lot of people laughed. I really think he is going to do great at UK. Might take a year or two to get it going but with new coaches that is to be expected.
I brought up Pope back in Jan and Feb when people would ask, who we gonna get if Cal leaves? I got lambasted and skewered, gutted, laughed at and various other not nice things said to me. And now that Pope is here I just chuckle that just about everyone is so happy to have him. I don’t remember who called me out and it doesn’t matter but I am glad Mitch called him and glad that just about all of us are happy he is here. This is a funny place.

I brought up Pope back in Jan and Feb when people would ask, who we gonna get if Cal leaves? I got lambasted and skewered, gutted, laughed at and various other not nice things said to me. And now that Pope is here I just chuckle that just about everyone is so happy to have him. I don’t remember who called me out and it doesn’t matter but I am glad Mitch called him and glad that just about all of us are happy he is here. This is a funny place.
I listed him in my top 5 and I got mocked and laughed at as well.

I've been paying attention to Mark Pope for several years and have liked what I've seen. I've thought for a couple of years now that he would be a good candidate at UK the next time the position was open.

Admittedly, I was surprised that it became open this soon. I would have liked to have seen Pope get another couple of seasons navigating the Big 12 with BYU before having this conversation........... BUT the chance came now and if you don't open the door when opportunity knocks, you might not get another change. I'm excited for Mark Pope and hope that he continues to exceed expectations.

Pitino never realized his love for Ky. till he opted out for Boston.
I believe he talked of his regretting leaving with Dick Vitale.
I suspect his video welcoming Pope was his way of saying: " Love her,and she will always love you in return"! JMO

Reactions: IL Wildcat
You did, and I laughed at you. And boy was I wrong. Happy to eat that delicious crow and hats off to you, brother!

From what I see so far, he's going to work hard and care greatly about the job, not only professionally but also personally. He's not gonna make excuses or blame. He's going to be a "buck stops here" kind of guy. And I have a feeling, if he were to see that he can't get the job done, he would likely just step aside. I don't think he will fail, though. His enthusiasm makes me want to be a better fan, and his work ethic makes me want to be more conscientious and hard working in my own job. His approach to life and coaching is contagious. I'm not expecting miracles this season, but I wouldn’t be surprised if this season is a great success and a huge surprise for the naysayers.
Well said ... Pope is the genuine article who has a love and passion for everything UK. I honestly think that he's going to kill it here and the fans are going to get behind him and support him through whatever comes. It's good to see you've had a change of heart. Pope will unite the fanbase and that's something we've needed for way too long.

Pitino never realized his love for Ky. till he opted out for Boston.
I believe he talked of his regretting leaving with Dick Vitale.
I suspect his video welcoming Pope was his way of saying: " Love her,and she will always love you in return"! JMO
You may be right. I do think he regrets leaving now. I have often imagined what might have happened if he had stayed, never left for Boston, and then never returned only to end up at little brother. How many titles would he have and how many would UK have?

And I also agree, his encouragement and recommendation of Mark Pope tells me his attitude toward UK has changed significantly since he last left Rupp with a bird flying.

And to be honest, now that he's left Louisville, I would have no problem burying that hatchet. I have a feeling Rick's next visit to Rupp will be to cheers, not jeers.

My wife and son both woke me from a delightful slumber to complain about the hiring. When I started smiling they were perturbed. After the press conference, which we attended, they are down with the plan. Captain Pope doesn't hate us.
Signed,
Basketball Benny

You may be right. I do think he regrets leaving now. I have often imagined what might have happened if he had stayed, never left for Boston, and then never returned only to end up at little brother. How many titles would he have and how many would UK have?

And I also agree, his encouragement and recommendation of Mark Pope tells me his attitude toward UK has changed significantly since he last left Rupp with a bird flying.

And to be honest, now that he's left Louisville, I would have no problem burying that hatchet. I have a feeling Rick's next visit to Rupp will be to cheers, not jeers.
It's great to be able to move on.
It's a form of freedom that few find.

I don't think there is any doubt about Pope's commitment to UK basketball. Your reference to Joe B is spot on. That will only take him/us so far in this new age of hired gun college basketball. If he can win on aa big enough scale right out of the gate, he can sell the exposure that comes with UK to today's players.

Pope is bright and his teams play a style of basketball that will be attractive to most players. Can he get enough of the type of talent he needs for his system is the question. He won't need all OAD players but he will need some. OAD has come to mean not only freshmen but portal players as well(probably about a 40/60 mix of the two) One has to be impressed with the team he has assembled(at least on paper) I am more excited to see the upcoming season than I have been in the last 10 years. We can focus on the season at hand rather than the look who we have coming next year mentality that we became accustom to over the last few years.

Just win.
We can do the all the songs and dances and articles we want and it be the greatest thing to think about.

But you have to win. And you gotta do it quick.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT