ADVERTISEMENT

Great article in SI on Pope

Not gonna claim some Fall allergies didn’t help but this part made me cry:

“You can hire somebody that’s going to go up there and you’re going to hand them a jersey and they’re going to do a photo shoot and throw [the jersey] in the corner,” Pope told Barnhart. “But when we do this press conference, I’m going to bring my own jersey, and it’s got blood and sweat and tears on it from the national championship season. And that’s the difference between me and anybody else for this job.”

Breakdown? I won't click SI
I feel you there, didn’t really want too. He talks about his time and why he came and his background with Mark Fox getting into coaching. Then returning the favor to Fox now. References his wife, kids, and his life at Kentucky and Med School. Decided he wasn’t fit to be a surgeon and really missed basketball. Talked about why he loved Pitino and how they both eat and breath work and getting better on the court. Basically a love letter to the university and fans in other parts.

Last edited:
Not gonna claim some Fall allergies didn’t help but this part made me cry:

“You can hire somebody that’s going to go up there and you’re going to hand them a jersey and they’re going to do a photo shoot and throw [the jersey] in the corner,” Pope told Barnhart. “But when we do this press conference, I’m going to bring my own jersey, and it’s got blood and sweat and tears on it from the national championship season. And that’s the difference between me and anybody else for this job.”
That was an amazing quote, what a way to sell yourself for the job.

Reposting this again because there has never been a better quote.

Took a couple at Pitino too
Honestly made me laugh lol
Yeah, he did. There was the line about (I'm paraphrasing) the monster egos of Rupp, Pitino, and Cal but the line about Pitino "entered the job with a bald spot and left without one", was funny considering it was a topic among UK fans about what he was doing to get his hair looking fuller.
I liked the quote from Pitino about fans needing a breath of fresh air. I wondered though if that was given first hand to Forde or if that's a second hand quote. Forde was super tight with Pitino for awhile, co-wrote a book with him, but when more ugly things happened at UofL, Forde finally to talk and write about it and I don't think that sat well with Rick.

Believe Forde captured the essence of the typical UK fan with the following:

“Cal sold Kentucky to recruits as a quick-stop NBA way station, and he expected the fans to embrace that approach as well. He talked generational wealth, they talked program loyalty. He was energetic in terms of community outreach in times of trouble, but his connection to the public felt largely transactional. As the program slid after 2015, Cal’s condescension, equivocation and excuse-making became more infuriating.”

“It was Cal’s program,” Clay says. “It wasn’t really Kentucky’s program anymore.”

Believe Forde captured the essence of the typical UK fan with the following:

“Cal sold Kentucky to recruits as a quick-stop NBA way station, and he expected the fans to embrace that approach as well. He talked generational wealth, they talked program loyalty. He was energetic in terms of community outreach in times of trouble, but his connection to the public felt largely transactional. As the program slid after 2015, Cal’s condescension, equivocation and excuse-making became more infuriating.”

“It was Cal’s program,” Clay says. “It wasn’t really Kentucky’s program anymore.”
Completely agree.

I am in the minority, but I am not sold on him. Time will tell and I pray that I am wrong. The crazy pictures just run in contrast with successful, high level coach’s. I want him to be serious, dialed in, and not say things like this is the best “enter anything here” that he has ever seen.

I am in the minority, but I am not sold on him. Time will tell and I pray that I am wrong. The crazy pictures just run in contrast with successful, high level coach’s. I want him to be serious, dialed in, and not say things like this is the best “enter anything here” that .he has ever seen.
If you don’t think he’s serious and dialed in, I don’t know what to tell you.

I do know what to tell you. It’s a good thing you are ortho and not vision because you can’t see a damn thing it appears.
I can see you as a true fan that posts here, that has season tickets (like me), that has high hopes for the season (like me). I can see all this without thinking I have to argue with you or tell you anything. Different perspectives are fine my friend.

Reactions: STL_Cat
After the 1st two coaches said no I asked "what about Pope ?" and a lot of folks laughed but I see something in this man and the way he coaches. I pray he succeeds here at UK. I think he will bring back the FUN that many missed in the last years that the former coach pissed away.

Reactions: UKortho
I think the writing is on the wall that the media is going to love Pope, especially after dealing with the down years of Cal. He's got charisma without the ego.

That pays dividends.

I can see you as a true fan that posts here, that has season tickets (like me), that has high hopes for the season (like me). I can see all this without thinking I have to argue with you or tell you anything. Different perspectives are fine my friend.
You’re right and I apologize. I was having a bad day and took it out on you. Let me ask you this. Why do you think he isn’t dialed in or serious? What more could he do to prove that to you when everyone but you it seems think he is doing and saying all the right things.

I am in the minority, but I am not sold on him. Time will tell and I pray that I am wrong. The crazy pictures just run in contrast with successful, high level coach’s. I want him to be serious, dialed in, and not say things like this is the best “enter anything here” that he has ever seen.

It’s an interesting attitude to have. A passionate UK fan that was sick to death of Cal, gets a former player at UK to coach that has a different message and completely different style of play and has already secured two top 25 recruits and looks to be in good position with others before even playing a game. You would think if there is any time to be positive and optimistic this would be it, almost like saying “I wonder if this girl is marriage material” while having sex with her for the first time. I mean if there’s ever a time to just enjoy yourself and not worry too much about it 😂

But, to your point, the world would be boring if we all had the same perspective in life.

You’re right and I apologize. I was having a bad day and took it out on you. Let me ask you this. Why do you think he isn’t dialed in or serious? What more could he do to prove that to you when everyone but you it seems think he is doing and saying all the right things.
It’s all good. I know you are a great fan. I don’t post much, but I read this forum every day.

And, you are right. Everyone here (and at my house) is excited about the direction of the program. I know I might be on the wrong side by being skeptical. I can’t put a finger on it, however he doesn’t carry himself like other top coach’s- or CEOs. He is just a little bit on the side of being quirky in my opinion. Maybe that will work. Maybe my perception is wrong.

I am happier that we replaced him with Cal though, and I really need to give him a chance. I haven’t moved off my initial reaction to his hire yet either. It might be my confirmation bias by shaking my head when I saw that picture of him flexing. Just doesn’t seem mature. Seems more WWE (or whatever wrestling is called).

It’s an interesting attitude to have. A passionate UK fan that was sick to death of Cal, gets a former player at UK to coach that has a different message and completely different style of play and has already secured two top 25 recruits and looks to be in good position with others before even playing a game. You would think if there is any time to be positive and optimistic this would be it, almost like saying “I wonder if this girl is marriage material” while having sex with her for the first time. I mean if there’s ever a time to just enjoy yourself and not worry too much about it 😂

But, to your point, the world would be boring if we all had the same perspective in life.
Another good post by Mehico.

• Love
Reactions: Ron Mehico
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT