ADVERTISEMENT

Gonzaga to the Big XII?

That’s up there with the ACC taking lil bro if that happens.

Dies Gonzaga even have a football team?
Nope, so they must be talking about a Notre Dame/ACC type deal where they’re only partly in for the non-football sports.

But, of course, for completely opposite reasons. With Notre Dame the issue was that their football program is too valuable to allow the ACC to have it, whereas with Zaga it’s that have no football at all.

Big East, which is also mentioned, makes more sense,

Big East is never going to work. The travel would be opposed by most in the conference, which has a lot of East Coast universities.

Gonzaga's best options are going to the PAC-12 - which is unlikely if they stick to wanting top research institutions - or Big 12, which is geographically closer. Big 12 will also have BYU, a rival of Gonzaga's club.

This was only a matter of time, anyways. Gonzaga out grew it's conference.. They had to be tired of playing in it, and the other teams, who are content to be mid-major teams, had to be tired of it as well.

Joining a conference that at first glance, didn't make sense geologically.. is no longer an issue. Every conference now has two teams that are 1,000+ miles apart. So Gonzaga playing in the Big East, Pac12, or Big12, was really just about getting the talks going.

They don’t have a football team, but the Big 12 is in a tough spot right now. They’re losing OU and Texas in a couple years. They need to make a splash and add someone, somehow. The Big Ten, PAC 12, or the SEC would never even consider taking a program without a football program.

They don’t have a football team, but the Big 12 is in a tough spot right now. They’re losing OU and Texas in a couple years. They need to make a splash and add someone, somehow. The Big Ten, PAC 12, or the SEC would never even consider taking a program without a football program.
That'a why the Big East makes a lot of sense plus being a Catholic school, but I wonder if the Big 12 is still begging them to join even without a football team. lol

Most Zags fans have been waiting for this move for years.
conference season sucks. When you’ve beaten Pepperdine 31 times STRAIGHT time to move on.
Love to be entertained playing in big12. Recruiting would be enhanced.
Its up to the accountants to make it work for both sides.
please make it work

conference season sucks. When you’ve beaten Pepperdine 31 times STRAIGHT time to move on.
please make it work
I just don't see Gonzaga winning a title until their conference improves. It just doesn't prepare them for March.

please make it work
Thanks for stopping by ZagfanCA. Looking forward to seeing Gonzaga come to Fort Worth in the not too distant future to take on an up and coming TCU team.

Last edited:
Only TCU in Big 12 generates more basketball revenue than Zags.

Only TCU in Big 12 generates more basketball revenue than Zags.

1) That women's teams are included confuses the point.
2) 'Fans' support a winner... In the Big 12, Gonzaga (year in and year out) won't be a winner. They won't even be a middle of the road Big 12 team.

Reactions: ganner918
Sure like our chances. Recruiting would also get better.

West Virginia has never beat the Zags in 5 tries dating to 2012 (https://wvusports.com/sports/mens-ba...-university/93). The last season we played them, we also beat Kansas and Oklahoma, only losing to Baylor in the title game. We were 3-1 in the Big XII that year, and 8-1 against P5 schools (9-1 if you include the Big East).

Source: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...-schedule.html
Your recent teams have been really good, and you might be ok until Few retires. But your history is built on a weak conference. And you have benefitted by getting high seeds you seldom live up to (I know, glass house... but also 8 'ships)

“Gonzaga is 26-9 all-time against the Big 12. Now, sure, they aren't playing night-in and night-out. But 26-9 is 26-9. It's not like you can cherry pick stats when this history is out there.”

“Gonzaga is 26-9 all-time against the Big 12. Now, sure, they aren't playing night-in and night-out. But 26-9 is 26-9. It's not like you can cherry pick stats when this history is out there.”

Would the most Zag fans choose the Big 12, Pac 12 or Big East?

I still think Cal and Stanford would block any move to the PAC 12. The California schools have never wanted to be involved with religious institutions. Which is why BYU never got a sniff.

Big East makes sense…until you realize that Gonzaga is on the other side of the country and you’d be paying for the travel costs and scheduling nightmare for all your non-revenues sports and I doubt the WCC is going to say “sure take our biggest money maker away and you can still play baseball!”

Big 12 is the only play for the Zags. And frankly they probably need the Big 12 more than the Big 12 needs them. But who else is left for the Big 12 to take for football?

Reactions: ganner918
Most Zag fans would lean toward Big East but realize the travel just doesn’t work.

At this point just we just need to get outta WCC before its To late.
Makes a ton of sense. I would have thought Pac12 but I think Big 12 gets you better media coverage. What about other sports, Football and such?

I think Gonzaga basketball fans are going to eventually regret this move.

The program will bring in more revenue thanks to the big12 but as far as on court success they don’t have much place to go but down.

Now i’m not saying they would be a big 12 bottom feeder but they’re going to find a 1 seed much tougher sledding against a stacked conference schedule.

And historically a 1 seed is arguably most important factor in winning a title. Being “battle tested” is largely meaningless. Gonzaga didn’t lose to UNC or Baylor because they weren’t “battle tested”.

Also Gonzaga’s recruiting has been pretty good recently. I mean they pulled both Sallis and Hickman from UK.

Also Zags fans are not going to love that Jayhawk big 12 whistle i’m sure. The number of games we’ve witnessed officiating crews just hand to the jayhawks since bill self’s been there is too many to count. And a lot of them have been on other teams home courts. Good luck with that. They get a better whistle in conference than anyone in the country.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT