ADVERTISEMENT

Gonzaga---Kentucky

jackcarlson

Junior
Jan 6, 2011
Poor Gonzaga got trapped in the same scenario that Kentucky experienced in 1997. UK was involved in a knock down-drag out fight with Minnesota in the semi-final game, which we won. But left us completely gassed. Arizona won their semi-final without breaking a sweat. We just didn't have enough left in the tank to take out Arizona on Monday night, but we almost did anyway. You could tell Gonzaga was just a step slower in the first 5 minutes of last night's game.

Reactions: bigc45157
Don’t believe it. They were shell shocked bc they hadn’t faced guards that could defensively force them to start their offense above the “volleyball lines” and Baylor’s bigs were able to keep Timme out of position off the block.

Add that to Baylor’s guards were unguardable. The Zags just finally met a team w the athleticism to make their life difficult offensively, while having enough offensive skill to put pace them.

If you really think that Gonzaga was just tired or emotionally drained and that's the reason they lost, you know nothing about basketball. Gonzaga was so outmatched physically and skill wise last night. You could see it straight from the tip. Suggs was the only other player that could play with those guys.
^this

money, you could be right, but methinks you are at least slightly exaggerating. I have seen Gonzaga several times this year, and last night, they just looked slower than usual. Fatigue will make one look less athletic while making the other team look better. And they were front-rimming their 3-point shots, indicating that they just didn't have their legs. GU didn't get ANY 50-50 balls!

I had no dog in this hunt, so the outcome didn't bother me. One thing that did bother me though, was : these were 2 teams who showed how to play the game, and we have NOT seen that in Lexington in too many years. All of our guys needed to watch this, to show that there is such a thing as REAL ball movement!

Poor Gonzaga got trapped in the same scenario that Kentucky experienced in 1997. UK was involved in a knock down-drag out fight with Minnesota in the semi-final game, which we won. But left us completely gassed. Arizona won their semi-final without breaking a sweat. We just didn't have enough left in the tank to take out Arizona on Monday night, but we almost did anyway. You could tell Gonzaga was just a step slower in the first 5 minutes of last night's game.
It certainly hurt Gonzaga, that's why I especially liked Baylor last night, but I think if Baylor and the Zags played 10 times Baylor would win at least 7 out of 10.

Reactions: musrat59
You could've played this game 100x and Baylor was going to be stronger and faster. The issue that Gonzaga program will regret was not getting that game re-scheduled from earlier in year. It's one thing to be outmatched in areas, but once your players take the court and experience it-you at least know what to expect going into the next matchup.

Suggs was competitive and tough as hell but he was no match for the speed/quickness as that's one of his weaknesses. He is strong enough to compete which showed but the speed was bothering him and really Zags caught a huge break when Mitchell ripped him on sideline and Suggs committed his 3rd foul which went uncalled to retrieve the ball.

But seeing guys like Kispert have to leave the game simply because Thamba was grown man strong, and Timme was beat to hell because he'd never faced a team this physical since WVU earlier in year-who also gave Zags trouble.

Best team won and that's upsetting to many in the media for some reason. Didn't see the outcry for a 38-0 UK Team that had some serious things go against them in loss to Wisconsin that were legit screw jobs--which if they happened to Zags we'd have Goodman, Borzello, etc...standing and screaming for investigations of the officials.

One thing I loved about last night's game though was the class of Few/Drew. I actually watched a CBB game that was about the players and game, not theatrics on the sideline. You didn't see crazy nonsense from Few like a few coaches do when the game is clearly decided and keep fouling, you didn't see a lot of crazy interactions with officials in what was a well officiated game.

I watched every Baylor game in NCAA's and the amount of halves they never got into the bonus was astonishing considering how CBB is officiated, their seeding, and how they aggressive they play. Didn't even make Drew/their team flinch. They just kept coming and still won. So impressive. But to officials credit-they often officiate based on the teams and didn't see a lot of whining/crying or coaches acting like morons (Hi Tom Izzo) and it was fun and refreshing to watch.

• Love
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
"You could've played this game 100x and Baylor was going to be stronger and faster. The issue that Gonzaga program will regret was not getting that game re-scheduled from earlier in year. It's one thing to be outmatched in areas, but once your players take the court and experience it-you at least know what to expect going into the next matchup."

I was really looking forward to that game at the time. But I'm now glad the #1 and #2 ranked teams had to wait until the finals to prove who was best.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
Some people think the same thing happened to Wisconsin in 2015 . I would have been even sicker if we had pulled out that win and then duke and rat face broke our undefeated season because we hadnt recovered .

Ralph did bring up something that I appreciated about this tournament over previous ones. The officiating for the ENTIRE tournament was MUCH better than in times past. I would like to know why? You did not see endless FT shooting exhibitions and whole starting lineups fouling out. By and large, the refs let the players play and decide the games. Maybe it was the masks? If it was, I think they should wear masks all the time!

I said before the game that the overtime semifinal would be a factor.

Late game. It was a battle. It takes a lot out of you.

Baylor was the better team by far, but that semifinal game took its toll.

I wonder what the all-time record is for teams who played OT semifinal games then played in the final?

Anyone know?

If Derek Anderson would have played it would of been another national championship for Kentucky.

I said before the game that the overtime semifinal would be a factor.

Late game. It was a battle. It takes a lot out of you.

Baylor was the better team by far, but that semifinal game took its toll.

I wonder what the all-time record is for teams who played OT semifinal games then played in the final?

Anyone know?
I know it didn’t hurt us in ‘98.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
You could've played this game 100x and Baylor was going to be stronger and faster. The issue that Gonzaga program will regret was not getting that game re-scheduled from earlier in year. It's one thing to be outmatched in areas, but once your players take the court and experience it-you at least know what to expect going into the next matchup.

Suggs was competitive and tough as hell but he was no match for the speed/quickness as that's one of his weaknesses. He is strong enough to compete which showed but the speed was bothering him and really Zags caught a huge break when Mitchell ripped him on sideline and Suggs committed his 3rd foul which went uncalled to retrieve the ball.

But seeing guys like Kispert have to leave the game simply because Thamba was grown man strong, and Timme was beat to hell because he'd never faced a team this physical since WVU earlier in year-who also gave Zags trouble.

Best team won and that's upsetting to many in the media for some reason. Didn't see the outcry for a 38-0 UK Team that had some serious things go against them in loss to Wisconsin that were legit screw jobs--which if they happened to Zags we'd have Goodman, Borzello, etc...standing and screaming for investigations of the officials.

One thing I loved about last night's game though was the class of Few/Drew. I actually watched a CBB game that was about the players and game, not theatrics on the sideline. You didn't see crazy nonsense from Few like a few coaches do when the game is clearly decided and keep fouling, you didn't see a lot of crazy interactions with officials in what was a well officiated game.

I watched every Baylor game in NCAA's and the amount of halves they never got into the bonus was astonishing considering how CBB is officiated, their seeding, and how they aggressive they play. Didn't even make Drew/their team flinch. They just kept coming and still won. So impressive. But to officials credit-they often officiate based on the teams and didn't see a lot of whining/crying or coaches acting like morons (Hi Tom Izzo) and it was fun and refreshing to watch.
The media loved it when we got beat. They were sulking for Gonzaga this morning, though. The bias is real.

Ralph did bring up something that I appreciated about this tournament over previous ones. The officiating for the ENTIRE tournament was MUCH better than in times past. I would like to know why? You did not see endless FT shooting exhibitions and whole starting lineups fouling out. By and large, the refs let the players play and decide the games. Maybe it was the masks? If it was, I think they should wear masks all the time!

It might have something to do with the 4 refs that got sent home before the tourney started.....dunno

They were a step slower because they were just a step slower. A game played 48 hours earlier is not going to effect your speed/quickness the next time you step on the court. These are 19-21 year olds, not 40’s and 50’s that take time to recover.

Yes and Ky beat Auburn by almost 40 points near end of season two years ago and Auburn came back and beat Ky in tournament....This happens all the time...I would think it would probably be 50-50 if they played 10 games. Anyone can look bad in a game and not be who they are

Reactions: STL_Cat
Baylor was the best team, they just got very little attention compared to the Zags most of the season.

Baylor was the best team, they just got very little attention compared to the Zags most of the season.
Baylor may very well have been undefeated if not for a 3 week layoff in the middle of the season. Even going into the tournament it appeared they were still rounding back into form.

Reactions: STL_Cat

Not even a comparison.

It was a long time ago so it is whatever...but Arizona shot over 40 free throws to our 15 or so. I don't recall the officiating...I was only 16 at the time, but a 25 FT advantage will get you every time. IIRC we had 4 or 5 guys foul out.

That is why we lost, plain and simple. Despite all that if Nazr hits a few we win in regulation.

No. Nazr not hitting free throws cost us 97. Get ur fact straight. Also no Derek Anderson finally caught up to us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT