ADVERTISEMENT

Lamont Butler

Need defenders like this when going against aggressive guards out there like Wade Taylor .

Lock em up
I agree! Different players have different values and SDSU could guard! After last year that will be a breath of fresh air. Obviously we can’t expect the same offense but it will be nice knowing how to defend properly again.

LOL people said Pope's teams didn't play much defense so he brings in 2 defensive studs (so far) and that doesn't work for some. Let's cut to the chase: some of the WORST armchair QB's in the world post on internet forums.
That and the remnants of the Cal nut huggers who ate looking for ANYTHING to bitch about right now. This kid was defensive POY in his confetence for Pete sake

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Welcome to the BBN, you wouldn’t by any chance have any shooter buddies looking for some PT.

The longer I sit with this knowledge, the more excited I am. He's built like Marquis Teague with a very strong, toned physique for a 6'2 guard who likes to get up in the offensive players ass and make it difficult for them to get anything going. Considered one of the best defenders in college let alone in the portal. AND he can get you 10 or so ppg and hit an open 3? I'm big excited.
Yeah, he's another multi-year defensive player of the year. I don't think we're gonna have the same defensive issues we had this past season. I like the Marquis Teague comparison, and the Dom Hawkins comparison isn't bad, either. 4 years of experience is huge! Welcome to UK!

Booker and Cornbreadnshit are the same person. I think Track42 might be the trifecta of his aliases, too.

- All are miserable and post the same sad bullshit
- None of them put a space after a period, like a 4-year-old would know to do.
- All are dumb as rocks.

Thousands and thousands of terrible, trolling posts. What a miserable person.

Oh, welcome to BBN Lamont! Ignore the idiots. We have a lot of them.
I've accused they/them/him/her/ze/zer of being the same braying donkey. If I remember correctly, I accused one of something, and the other responded. Excuses were made, lies were told, somebody peed and said it was raining. The usual 'coming from mom's basement' stuff.

You will find out in time that it is all true.

Now on free throws I did some checking. I remember at one point this season Lamont was 6-21 from the line...He finished the season 57-86.

So it appears that Lamont went 51-75 after his horrible start. So he shot free throws at about 71 percent in his last 25 games or so.

By the way, I love reading all the boards comments. The variety of thoughts is what makes a good board.

Here is one to think over. I never saw Lamont Butler as a true Point Guard. I see him more as a slashing 2 guard who can shoot it outside at times, who can run the point if needed.

Now...Lamont does have a very nice mid range jumper he shoots very well. Sort of old school look...big body, strong, turns and pops.

One of interesting fact about Lamont. He is EXTREMELY athletic at 6-2. His vertical is about 40 inches or slightly more.
I'm confident we're getting a good defender, high energy hard worker, and an experienced seasoned player. That's all good. Happy to have him. We need role players like him. We're all itching for the flashy scorer - and we need some of them - but this looks like a solid addition.

Bottom line:

No coach owes anyone an explanation for bringing in arguably the best perimeter defender in the country. And he is. Read what the analyst dorks on twitter are saying.

For goodness' sake.
And not only that, everyone, including these guys I’m sure, justifiably complained all year about how the lack of defense could keep this team from being elite. We all saw how THAT turned out. If Cal could have seen fit to coach them up defensively, who knows how far they could have gone. Wouldn’t have beaten UConn in any case.

Pope is obviously out to emphasize defense this coming year, and good for him. I trust he knows what he’s doing.

Reactions: Jkwo and Fox2monk
I've accused they/them/him/her/ze/zer of being the same braying donkey. If I remember correctly, I accused one of something, and the other responded. Excuses were made, lies were told, somebody peed and said it was raining. The usual 'coming from mom's basement' stuff.

I've got him on ignore on my computer, but I'm never logged in on my phone so I'm subjected to his tired bullshit pretty frequently.

The bad thing is, Butler's dad is active on social media, is so excited for his son and wants to meet and interact with BBN. And losers like Booger/Cornbreadnshit/Hack42 are crapping all over his kid.

Pope will get his shooters. I'm glad we've got a guy with Final Four experience who can absolutely lock down the opposing driving lanes.

Tell me what the 1998 team would be without Wayne Turner. That's the level of play you're getting with this kid - a middle class version of Turner.
People fussing about a player who's gonna hit 1 outa 3 threes, then keep scorers from scoring. Know nothings.

Earlier someone said he wasn't ranked because he just entered the portal. Well he is ranked now at 227 if you want to look it up on3 transfer portal. He isn't terrible but we should have done better. He will be a blocker that prevents us from getting one of the really good players. He is the starting point guard not a backup. I don't care about any of your excuses we should have done better.

• Haha
Reactions: Jkwo
Butler was the starting PG on a team that went to the National Championship game in 2023, Hagans didn’t do that. He’s already proven that a team can win big with him as the starting point guard.
Hagans was the lead point of a 25-6 team.

I said his player comparison was Hagans and then annotated it with but he’s a 5th year senior, doesnt cause locker room issues, and has final four experience.

It’s an excellent player archetype comparison to a player we’ve had on the team in recent memory. A very good player even if you didn’t like his offensive game, Butler will be the best perimeter defender in college basketball next year, Williams might be the best front court defender in college basketball.

Pope has 2 defensive studs that can lockdown their area, we just played a season where multiple teams beat us by their players being absolutely unchecked by our horrid defense.

I’m sure Pope will play Jaxson Robinson at the 2 and bring Butler in for 15-30 minutes a game, 15-20 minutes when we don’t need his defense, 25-30 when we do need him to shut someone down.

I also don’t know how you can have a roster of 4 players, literally not enough to field a team with no walk ons, and scoff when we add a national championship game experienced guards because he’s not some offensive weapon.

Reactions: 1war and Jkwo
Doesn't matter if you can't stop the other team from scoring. We learned that the hard way last season.
Take the Gonzaga game for instance, we absolutely should have won that game against that team in our house. We were a better team and we scored, especially Reed almost every time down the court in the second half. We also never stopped them, I believe they scored something like 14 times in a row, on the same play. That is how you know your team can’t guard, and that your coach has no idea how to stop it. I don’t recall another game where a UK team played almost flawless offense in a close game after half and lost in that manner. We couldn’t get 1 stop.

Well come on now. Sure their defense was shitty most of the time, but they did turn it up for a couple of games. Comparing it to Wiltjer may be a bridge too far 😂
They deserve no props! They got beat by a D2 balding accountant!! They knew he only shot 3’s and still were not prepared at all on how to defend it.

Reactions: Jkwo
You will find out in time that it is all true.

Now on free throws I did some checking. I remember at one point this season Lamont was 6-21 from the line...He finished the season 57-86.

So it appears that Lamont went 51-75 after his horrible start. So he shot free throws at about 71 percent in his last 25 games or so.

By the way, I love reading all the boards comments. The variety of thoughts is what makes a good board.

Here is one to think over. I never saw Lamont Butler as a true Point Guard. I see him more as a slashing 2 guard who can shoot it outside at times, who can run the point if needed.

Now...Lamont does have a very nice mid range jumper he shoots very well. Sort of old school look...big body, strong, turns and pops.

One of interesting fact about Lamont. He is EXTREMELY athletic at 6-2. His vertical is about 40 inches or slightly more.
Reminds me of D Wade on offense, obviously he’s levels below in offensive talent but a similar game. D Wade was a superstar that had a great mid range and was lackluster from 3 for the first half of his NBA career.

I’m just happy we have a guy that can go shutdown guards, multiple times a year under Cal a guard would just be going off for 20-30+ points and Cal would have 20 minutes to make an adjustment or find an answer and many many times we lost games to inferior teams because that answer never came, column A bad in-game coaching, column B freshmen defender.

Butler and Williams are going to play extended minutes and lock people down. I’m overjoyed Butler has joined us, he’s going to be a key piece to the winning element of this team even if he isn’t averaging 15 while shooting 45% from 3.

• Wow
Reactions: track42
People spent years on this board talking about modern offense, can the recruits shoot, railing on Sahvir Wheeler for not shooting the 3 well. Then we add this guy and suddenly people look the other way. No one is denying he's a great pick up. But it should be as a bench guy who can come in and lock-down the other team's best scorer. If he starts it limits our offense. Because you have one less position who can shoot the 3. If that makes me a miserable SOB, Sour puss, POS, Bastard, so be it. Just the way I see it.
We neeed quality players and he’s a quality player. We will see what player roles are when we field a full team.

Reactions: catben
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT