ADVERTISEMENT

Lamont Butler

The longer I sit with this knowledge, the more excited I am. He's built like Marquis Teague with a very strong, toned physique for a 6'2 guard who likes to get up in the offensive players ass and make it difficult for them to get anything going. Considered one of the best defenders in college let alone in the portal. AND he can get you 10 or so ppg and hit an open 3? I'm big excited.

72 percent IMO is good, but definatley not great. He started this around 29 per cent thru his approximate first 10 games. It was in his head.

He shot free throws very well the rest of the season to raise his percentage to 59 percent. Maybe some math major can figure what percent he shot his last 25 games to raise his percentage from 29 to 59.
Not a math major but I know nobody can answer that question without knowing the number of attempts for the 1st 10 games and the last 25 games but the number was definitely higher than 59%. I'll bet there's a better than 59% chance somebody will tell us the numbers.

Reactions: SteveAztec
He started for a team that made national title game and a sweet 16
I get it and think hes a good pickup I was just hoping for a little more at point running the team. A guy who can drain it from deep a little better.

Most people made it sound like he would just be a part I was just surprised his dad said starting pg on a bigger stage. So he's already being promised starter?

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
Worst thing to have is unrealistic expectations.
Cat may be on life support but it's still alive.

I hope most of that's true, but he's not a good ft shooter. 59% this year, was 72% over his first 3 years which is only decent for a guard.

You will find out in time that it is all true.

Now on free throws I did some checking. I remember at one point this season Lamont was 6-21 from the line...He finished the season 57-86.

So it appears that Lamont went 51-75 after his horrible start. So he shot free throws at about 71 percent in his last 25 games or so.

By the way, I love reading all the boards comments. The variety of thoughts is what makes a good board.

Here is one to think over. I never saw Lamont Butler as a true Point Guard. I see him more as a slashing 2 guard who can shoot it outside at times, who can run the point if needed.

Now...Lamont does have a very nice mid range jumper he shoots very well. Sort of old school look...big body, strong, turns and pops.

One of interesting fact about Lamont. He is EXTREMELY athletic at 6-2. His vertical is about 40 inches or slightly more.

Last edited:
30% from 3.
He can also do something that not one player on last years team could. Defend.

Maybe, just maybe, Coach Pope has a plan? Maybe he isnt just going to load up on parts that don’t fit? Maybe we look back when the roster comes together and we actually have things such as a “defensive stopper” for moments when some unknown guard is lighting us up?

Maybe, just maybe, Coach Pope has a plan? Maybe he isnt just going to load up on parts that don’t fit? Maybe we look back when the roster comes together and we actually have things such as a “defensive stopper” for moments when some unknown guard is lighting us up?
His dad said he was starting but whatever......

We had shooters last season, this hack Booker cried about the lack of defense. We get an Elite defender, he cries for shooters. Needs to meet the ban hammer.
I thought Pope was known for having shooters everywhere but whatever...

I for one am tired up giving up easy baskets every year. Letting people drive the lane for easy layups. I'd love a return to some aggressive defense.

I thought Pope was known for having shooters everywhere but whatever...
Do you realize what separates Lamont from someone you would be drooling over?
1 more 3 pointer going in every 4 games. Think about that. If he were 40% that's what it would have taken. Something you wouldn't even notice.
I tell ya one thing you will notice.... Him locking up the best scorer on the other team no matter the size

Way to completely ignore 99% of his post. I don’t give a shit if the kid starts or not. Can he get a stop? Because nobody on our team this year could. And I mean nobody. It was pathetic right up until the bitter end.Every year
Every year we have had guards go off and beat us. Looks like Pope is taking care of the defense before getting to the offense, both at the Basket and guard positions.

Reactions: Wonky
Pope is a genius. 2 anchors, defensive player of the years at Center and PG. SDSU lost to the national champions UCONN 2 years in a row. UCONN just got them a little earlier this past year in the tournament. He’s has a winner mentality. Plays with heart and hustle. Remember Anthony Epps, 1996? 6.7PPG. Winner. Hit big shots when needed but was mainly the floor general. Pope knows what he’s doing

You are correct. But you are trying to convince guys that got excited about Devin Askew. They would would rather have guys that are coming out of high school with a reputation than a guy who has proven at the college level that he can play and get the job done. Three point percentage and stars is all they care about. Let Coach Pope decide who starts and who comes off the bench.
It’s baffling to me, after a season where we got abused on defense, we bring in 2 of the best defenders in the country and people are upset they aren’t just shooters.

You need defensive stoppers, if a guard is going off for 30 you have to put a dawg on him.

That’s his calling card…lockdown defender.

We better be surrounding him with shooters tho. Not the biggest threat on O.
Can’t beat a Senior who has played on some great SDSU teams, and has been a part of their National Runner Up team, he hit the shot to send them there. He knows how and expects to win. I like the pickup a lot from a leadership standpoint at the very least. He also will be mature, strong, and knows his game and role.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT