ADVERTISEMENT

Getting To Know Lamont Butler

This was our first comitt with pope right? What was the connection there? It happened quick.

Video highlights another game winner against New Mexico. Clutch performance not a fluke. Thanks for sharing.
He definitely seems to be a winner. Takes pride in defense and makes clutch plays. My kinda PG. obviously we hope he can improve his jumper but his handle seems fairly tight and he can drive and finish. He has decent size too and has played a ton of games. He won’t get bullied and we have missed that for years under Cal.

We always had the talent but never got to see it develop. Plus physically after about 2015 we stopped getting those freshman who were big and ready for physical play. Most of our guys were skinny and lanky with little muscle. We had a few like PJ, Richard’s, Oscar, Travis and Seatina(old transfers though) who were ready.

We used to be the intimidating physical team under Cal early on. We won tons of game because we outmatched teams on size alone. This upcoming team is full of guys who played 100’s of D1 games and had 4 years of weight training and conditioning. Then guys like Garrison who are built and in a second season where they start to take off.

Last edited:
Thank you for the video, could’ve possibly been back to back final 4’s if you hadn’t run into UConn in the sweet 16.
High character kid, elite defender. Winner. Leader at PG. I’m more excited to watch this team than I have been in years!

Seems like a great kid- really glad we have him on this team. Should provide great on and off court leadership.

Last season, in fact, he was named the Mountain West defensive player of the year. But even with all that success, Butler never really considered himself a leader. Not a vocal one, at least. Yet every member of this UK program mentions him prominently — often before anyone else — when asked who’s been stepping up in that regard early on. “I’m trying. I’m trying, man,” Butler said. “You know, being a vocal leader is not natural for me. I’m kind of like a lead by example type of guy. Just go out there, play hard, do the right stuff. So being a vocal leader is kind of tough, but I know that this team is kind of looking at me to be one of the leaders. So I think stepping up as a voice every day is going to be big for us. “Also, being a point guard — you know, guys in the NBA, those are the guys that’s always talking. You see Ja Morant, Chris Paul, guys like that — very vocal. So I want to learn that.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT