ADVERTISEMENT

Gas Grill Recommendations

Hank Camacho

Senior
Gold Member
Aug 10, 2021
We are set to close on a new house at the end of July and it has an amazing deck. I, of course, am planning out my outdoor kitchen. I never thought about having a gas grill (I love PK grills) but staying at an airbnb this week convinced me. Well, what really convinced me was my wife actually using it and enjoying it. If I play my cards right, I might be able to score some simple grilled meals on the nights she cooks.

I've decided to buy a gas grill for the first time. Ever. I am looking to get something basic and well built.

Any thoughts on upgrading the grates? Cast iron? That seems to me to be the highest value upgrade but I know basically nothing about gas grilling.

I'm thinking about selling my Webber gas grill. It's a 4 burner with a side station, stainless steel, cast iron grates, been set up to run on natural gas, and is in great condition. I'm getting a sear station for my pellet grill and not sure I need them both.

Hit me up if you're interested.

Got pretty much that same grill. Weber Genesis Stainless S-335, its 3 burner with sear zone on 4th spot (which I use quite a bit) and side station.

Never had an issue in 4 yrs. Lights on first or second spark every time. Would recommend as my wife can use use with ease, so thats a huge selling point.

I've had my Weber Genesis Silver B for 23 years. Still going strong. I'd buy another one.

Reactions: bbonds
Got pretty much that same grill. Weber Genesis Stainless S-335, its 3 burner with sear zone on 4th spot (which I use quite a bit) and side station.

Never had an issue in 4 yrs. Lights on first or second spark every time. Would recommend as my wife can use use with ease, so thats a huge selling point.
Had a propane for years. But we do have a gas line on our deck and i'm thinking about buying that exact same model, sounds like a good one

I didn't realize that it was that popular to run them off the gas line. How hard is that?

(Does shaving cream really work?)

I'm in the country so cant get natural gas but have a LP tank for our fireplace. Thinking about running a line from it to the deck to power the grill and stand up patio heater. Save me from getting the small tanks refilled constantly.

Just bought the char broiler 6 burner over the weekend. It was regular 600 marked down to 250. I've only had 2 gas grills in 15 years both 250 dollar grills that do everything I need at the moment.

Reactions: Hank Camacho
Char-Broil Performance Series Black 4-Burner Liquid Propane Gas Grill with 1 Side Burner

I've got this one. Looks like Lowe's is already closing them out for the season.

Cast iron grates. Hot dog rack. Removable bottom tray for easy clean up. I'm on my second one. First one lasted 8 years with pretty steady usage from April thru October.

BTW, it's the husband's job to grill. Yes, it's a rule. You can do this. Read up on it. Practice. Have an adult beverage as you do it. Thank me later.

Reactions: BGCATFAN2012
I didn't realize that it was that popular to run them off the gas line. How hard is that?

(Does shaving cream really work?)
If your house already has the NG line, get one (Weber) with it already set up. Home Depot and Lowes won’t have those, pre-built. Order and easy to assemble.

Last edited:
We put a blaze grill in our new house we built. High quality and have no complaints so far.

I've had my Weber Genesis Silver B for 23 years. Still going strong. I'd buy another one.
Impressive … reminds me of my Lawn Boy mower that I had for over 30 years. I damn near cried when I retired it. We were buds …

• Love
Reactions: UK82
Just get a Weber genesis or spirit and call it a day. don't overthink it

I’m a dilettante. I have a Blackstone and a Pit Boss pellet.

When we bought and renovated our house 15 years ago I wanted the whole outdoor kitchen thing but it didn’t really fit in with what we wanted our house to be because my wife and I decided we wanted a screened in back porch where we could entertain year round and I could mount some tvs to watch football in the fall. So my grilling area is a little tiled patio off to the side of the porch.

My advice is to just feel out what you want and how it’s going to function for your family for years to come. Go big or go home as people say.

Reactions: Hank Camacho

When we bought and renovated our house 15 years ago I wanted the whole outdoor kitchen thing but it didn’t really fit in with what we wanted our house to be because my wife and I decided we wanted a screened in back porch where we could entertain year round and I could mount some tvs to watch football in the fall. So my grilling area is a little tiled patio off to the side of the porch.

My advice is to just feel out what you want and how it’s going to function for your family for years to come. Go big or go home as people say.
I feel this. We've owned a house before, so this isn't my first rodeo. I know how easy it is to overdo aspirations (especially initially).

My plan is to keep it simple and modular the first year just to learn the new space and our plans with what to do with it. I don't think you really know a yard until you've lived there 3 or 4 years. Gonna use my PK for smoking and stuff that requires charcoal and get a solid but not ridiculous gas grill, get some minor improvements, get a good food prep / counter area, and call it a day for a few years.

Thanks to all for the replies!

When we bought and renovated our house 15 years ago I wanted the whole outdoor kitchen thing but it didn’t really fit in with what we wanted our house to be because my wife

I didn't need to read any further lol.

Char-Broil Performance Series Black 4-Burner Liquid Propane Gas Grill with 1 Side Burner

I've got this one. Looks like Lowe's is already closing them out for the season.

Cast iron grates. Hot dog rack. Removable bottom tray for easy clean up. I'm on my second one. First one lasted 8 years with pretty steady usage from April thru October.

BTW, it's the husband's job to grill. Yes, it's a rule. You can do this. Read up on it. Practice. Have an adult beverage as you do it. Thank me later.
This is the grill I bought Sunday and it was perfect for the cooking I do. First meal on it tonight and I don't know if it was the fresh potatoes and corn and tomatoes from the garden but that was the best meal I had in couple weeks.

Reactions: WildcatfaninOhio
I’m sure some of you know better but the internet says you may need to make adjustments to a propane grill when you hook it up to natural gas. Something about the size of the orifices (haha) not being the right size.

I had an old Duane that was hooked to natural gas and it seemed fine but that was a long time ago. All I used it for back then was to cook hot dogs and chicken breasts.

I’m sure some of you know better but the internet says you may need to make adjustments to a propane grill when you hook it up to natural gas. Something about the size of the orifices (haha) not being the right size.

I had an old Duane that was hooked to natural gas and it seemed fine but that was a long time ago. All I used it for back then was to cook hot dogs and chicken breasts.
You need the conversion kit. If you try to use natural with a propane valve the flame would be small.

I'm in the market myself.

I had a Master Forge that lasted about 10 yrs. My current Char Broil has lasted about 5 yrs. Both of which failed due to the guys rusting/failing. A large issue comes from me because I don't clean the burners or underpinnings/pan.....just the grates.
Obviously I usually buy cheapos, but I wonder about the Weber series. I wonder if I would be happier with spending $175 every 5-10 yrs or $400 every 10-15?

Is there any reason to consider getting a gas griddle over a gas grill? Got a buddy of mine whose opinion I respect trying to get me to consider a griddle but I don't really see the need.

Anyone got a good argument for it?

Is there any reason to consider getting a gas griddle over a gas grill? Got a buddy of mine whose opinion I respect trying to get me to consider a griddle but I don't really see the need.

Anyone got a good argument for it?
Theoretically, at baseline there are things you can do on a griddle you can’t do on a grill without alteration. Dont think there is anything you can do on a grill you can’t do on a griddle.

Reactions: BlueRaider22
Theoretically, at baseline there are things you can do on a griddle you can’t do on a grill without alteration. Dont think there is anything you can do on a grill you can’t do on a griddle.

Agreed. I have a small portable griddle that I throw on my BBQ grill. It cost about $50 about 7 yrs ago. It's great for vegetables, fish, etc.

vevor-grill-griddles-skjgpdjg32x17yc01v0-4f_600.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT