ADVERTISEMENT

Future of bowls not in the playoffs

Tskware

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2003
It was reported the MCB drew the smallest crowd since 2005, I was at the MCB in 1999, so I am certain this was the smallest crowd UK has played in front of at the MCB

Then, after Brohm left, a ton of Purdue players opted out, leaving the Boilers to play LSU in the Citrus Bowl with two hands behind their back in the biggest bowl game they have played in 20 years, attendance was 42,791. As a comparison, think the UK Penn State game (with both teams at full strength) on 1-1-2019 drew 59,000+, or near capacity. A predictable non competitive 63-7 scrimmage was the result yesterday. (Maybe was Karma, since LSU suffered the same fate in their bowl game in 2021 vs. Kansas State)

In Tampa, at the Reliaquest, Illinois, who had not been to any bowl game in years, had their star RB (1600 yards rushing) opt out, which predictably led to a total of 35 yards rushing, and only 35,797 showed up to watch.

Some of the bowls were awesome, e.g., Tulane in the Cotton and the two playoffs, but am I wrong in thinking that with the ever growing trend of opt outs will inevitably reduce game attendance (why should fans spend time and a lot of money to go to a game where half your team is sitting out), and at some point, a lot of local boosters who sponsor bowls are going to ask "What is the point?"

Seems like the end of a lot of bowls is in sight, or they will just be made for TV filler, with hardly anyone showing up to watch in person, much like most of the non P5 bowl games already are.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News