ADVERTISEMENT

Funny/sad preseason article about Boston

You left out that he can't ( or won't) defend his own shadow.

Every game we have been in, when the opponent needs a basket or the game is on the line, they attack Boston or Askew.

That strategy has worked fairly well for them. 🙄
Yep. He’s just terrible in EVERY facet of the game. Soft as hell, doesn’t play hard and no motor at all. One of my least favorite Cats of all time.

A couple of observations here, (1) If he is practicing/working as hard as he says how bad was he to begin with? (2) If he wants to get into film making his first movie should be a re-make of Dracula, he has most certainly drained the life blood out of the UK basketball program

A couple of observations here, (1) If he is practicing/working as hard as he says how bad was he to begin with? (2) If he wants to get into film making his first movie should be a re-make of Dracula, he has most certainly drained the life blood out of the UK basketball program
One of the most selfish players I’ve ever seen, to be quite honest.

Cal allowed this. He allowed an 18 year old kid bring a movie crew to follow him around. Cal is a shadow of his former self.
All Cal had to do was say no. If you bring them with you, make sure get return tickets because you ain't coming here.

I truly hope his footage finds a good producer. Seriously.

While he may have started out believing that his videos would be a build up to an NCAA title or a No. 1 draft pick, the less inspirational tale it could tell would be far more interesting.

I'm talking about a modern era A Season on the Brink here.

Think of what we could all learn, not only about Calipari's administration and modern NCAA basketball, but also the life and mindset of the contemporary teen "super star."

The movie wouldn't be what BJ planned at all - but it would be much better and very informative.

Pretty brutal read overall. The comments about feeling like his life is a movie and "I don't think I'll be here long" are just so cringey. I remember at PRO DAY his comments about wanting to be the best basketball player that ever lived. I cringed a little then but thought hell, dream big I guess. But a big old dose of self awareness and reality slapping you across the face can be tough. A tough minded, self aware BJ Boston might look at this year as a big old reality check, then humble himself and come back to college committed to becoming a better basketball player (and without a film crew). But that's not what will happen. He's probably going to go get his ass handed to him in the G-League by grown men who are fighting for their careers. Good luck to him.

The whole film crew following him around thing is just such a horrible by product of the takeover of Kardashian mentality and social media nonsense. Sad stuff all around.

“I just feel like my life is a movie,” Boston told The Athletic, “so why not capture it? I’m documenting my experience at Kentucky while I’m here with these guys. We’ve got a fun group and I think we’re going to do something big, and I want to keep these memories the rest of my life. I don’t think I’ll be here long, so I never want to forget it.”

Wow, this article is like a hit piece basically.

In the end, I blame Cal for enabling such delusion (love to sit in on his recruiting pitches do you think he says the word Kentucky/UK more than the NBA?), recruiting a team around him that does not gel (BJ needed shooters around him, a PG, and inside presence because he is a so-so college wing) then not holding him accountable (playing him 30+ minutes shooting horrible shots).

In the end, I think he could’ve maxed out at like a Knox level (no offense to Kevin) if he’d had the right roster around him and Calipari had coached his basketball skills instead of his heart.

This thread is an example of why UK fans have the reputation they do. Some of you guys go well beyond critique to hate. I think it makes some of you angry when someone seems to be handed something so easily, but maybe it is something even more personal for you. This is a kid who is playing for the team you support. That alone should earn your respect. I didn't say you have to admire him or praise him, but just be respectful. It's a shame we can't at least treat our players with respect. I think some of you hate on Boston because you don't appreciate the lack of minutes the hometown kid (Allen) is getting, and the California kid has gotten. It probably doesn't help that they play the same position. I get that, but do we have to act like children? This thread is like a conversation on the playground from elementary school. "Yeah, but he sucks!" And the hyperbole is not helpful. You should save your exaggerations for our opponents and their players.

For my part, I do agree that the idea of his being followed by a video camera was over the top. It probably should have been stopped before it started because it was likely just a distraction. I also agree that BJ has not lived up to the hype and expectations. (and the hype and expectations by this fan base were too high, as usual- and that was coming from me, too, I will admit) The primary problem he has had is that he just hasn't shot the ball well at all. He would admit that, I'm sure. He's also taken too many shots, but there is a reason for that. Look at the end of that Ole Miss game- who was going to shoot? Ole Miss has quick guards who can defend. None of our guys could create a shot, except for who? Boston can create his own shot. It may not always be a good shot, and it seems in those situations he rarely makes the shot, but he can create his own shot. Who else on the team can do that?

The rest of Boston's game, outside his shooting, hasn't been that bad. Some say he can't rebound, but he's third on the team in rebounding, right there neck and neck with our starting 7-footer. Some have said he doesn't defend, and there are times when he's out of position and his man scores, but he also leads the team in steals and has shown he can defend when he's focused and ready. He handles the ball pretty well. He has a good attitude from all accounts. The main issue, as I say, is that he hasn't made shots. That is a huge problem, obviously.

Bottom line, I see no reason to roast the kid. Yeah, he's likely gone, but he came to UK and he has played in one of the most unusual seasons in UK history and on a team that lacked an elite point guard, and he has been asked to do more than he was ready to do. Put John Wall on this team, or even if Ashton Hagans had returned, and things would likely be much different. Some of this can blamed on Boston, but much of the criticism here is undeserved. That's my 2 cents.

Reactions: mrdavisanddd
This thread is an example of why UK fans have the reputation they do. Some of you guys go well beyond critique to hate. I think it makes some of you angry when someone seems to be handed something so easily, but maybe it is something even more personal for you. This is a kid who is playing for the team you support. That alone should earn your respect. I didn't say you have to admire him or praise him, but just be respectful. It's a shame we can't at least treat our players with respect. I think some of you hate on Boston because you don't appreciate the lack of minutes the hometown kid (Allen) is getting, and the California kid has gotten. It probably doesn't help that they play the same position. I get that, but do we have to act like children? This thread is like a conversation on the playground from elementary school. "Yeah, but he sucks!" And the hyperbole is not helpful. You should save your exaggerations for our opponents and their players.

For my part, I do agree that the idea of his being followed by a video camera was over the top. It probably should have been stopped before it started because it was likely just a distraction. I also agree that BJ has not lived up to the hype and expectations. (and the hype and expectations by this fan base were too high, as usual- and that was coming from me, too, I will admit) The primary problem he has had is that he just hasn't shot the ball well at all. He would admit that, I'm sure. He's also taken too many shots, but there is a reason for that. Look at the end of that Ole Miss game- who was going to shoot? Ole Miss has quick guards who can defend. None of our guys could create a shot, except for who? Boston can create his own shot. It may not always be a good shot, and it seems in those situations he rarely makes the shot, but he can create his own shot. Who else on the team can do that?

The rest of Boston's game, outside his shooting, hasn't been that bad. Some say he can't rebound, but he's third on the team in rebounding, right there neck and neck with our starting 7-footer. Some have said he doesn't defend, and there are times when he's out of position and his man scores, but he also leads the team in steals and has shown he can defend when he's focused and ready. He handles the ball pretty well. He has a good attitude from all accounts. The main issue, as I say, is that he hasn't made shots. That is a huge problem, obviously.

Bottom line, I see no reason to roast the kid. Yeah, he's likely gone, but he came to UK and he has played in one of the most unusual seasons in UK history and on a team that lacked an elite point guard, and he has been asked to do more than he was ready to do. Put John Wall on this team, or even if Ashton Hagans had returned, and things would likely be much different. Some of this can blamed on Boston, but much of the criticism here is undeserved. That's my 2 cents.

Here we go with more of this "Kentucky fans are bad" nonsense propaganda. Keep it up, @IL Wildcat . Maybe even threaten to ban some more people for having different opinions than you ...

He's been terrible, there's no spinning around that. I'm not roasting him. I'm saying he was absolutely delusional when he came in here and a lot of that was enabled by our staff by allowing him to bring a film crew. I mean really, talk about a theater of the absurd. I would guess if someone had shown up to do that on one of Cal's Memphis teams they would have had their ass kicked all the way to the locker room by some of those grown men. But Cal doesn't run his program like that anymore. We end up with these social media stars that are softer than Rupp Arena soft serve with no self awareness. Boston criticism undeserved? I'll come back to this thread in 15 minutes when I finish laughing.

Here we go with more of this "Kentucky fans are bad" nonsense propaganda. Keep it up, @IL Wildcat . Maybe even threaten to ban some more people for having different opinions than you ...

He's been terrible, there's no spinning around that. I'm not roasting him. I'm saying he was absolutely delusional when he came in here and a lot of that was enabled by our staff by allowing him to bring a film crew. I mean really, talk about a theater of the absurd. I would guess if someone had shown up to do that on one of Cal's Memphis teams they would have had their ass kicked all the way to the locker room by some of those grown men. But Cal doesn't run his program like that anymore. We end up with these social media stars that are softer than Rupp Arena soft serve with no self awareness. Boston criticism undeserved? I'll come back to this thread in 15 minutes when I finish laughing.
giphy.gif

Yeah STL_Cat, I'm constantly threatening people, aren't I?

And I never said Boston deserves no criticism. I said he doesn't deserve the roasting he has gotten here. I agree with much of what you just said. He doesn't deserve the elementary playground insults he gets. And yes, that is not a good look. Kentucky bourbon and lack of knowledge of the game is a bad combination.

Practicing getting up shots, man. Getting up shots. He just needs to get more shots in the game and then he could score more points.

I never thought I’d see a Mod scold everyone and talk down to everyone like we just saw . What ac” how dare you “ type post . Whatever , I really don’t care ... ban me from here , ban me from the team , ban me from college basketball.. I really don’t care

You always seem to have an axe to grind with UK fans. Somehow we’re the only fanbase that would over-critique a player on a historically bad team? Please. Or we’re to blame for the hype behind 5* recruit BJ Boston? If you’d read the article I’d think it was clear he needed no one from UK to hype him.

I agree personal insults are not needed, and I have nothing against BJ as the blame lies on Cal. However you’d get a bit further if you didn’t seem to enjoy looking down on your fellow UK fans so much, “but maybe it is something even more personal for you.”

I don't have anything against Boston personally. His game is selfish. It doesn't matter how 'hard he works', his game is all about him getting his shots period. He takes bad shots over and over and isn't hitting enough of them yet he's got the green light to keep taking them. Cal deserves a lot of the blame for the animosity toward him including the ridiculous and inappropriate video crew. To me Boston typifies everything that is wrong with the OAD and Cal's system.

You always seem to have an axe to grind with UK fans. Somehow we’re the only fanbase that would over-critique a player on a historically bad team? Please. Or we’re to blame for the hype behind 5* recruit BJ Boston? If you’d read the article I’d think it was clear he needed no one from UK to hype him.

I agree personal insults are not needed, and I have nothing against BJ as the blame lies on Cal. However you’d get a bit further if you didn’t seem to enjoy looking down on your fellow UK fans so much, “but maybe it is something even more personal for you.”

Exactly . I don’t need lectured by anyone on a message board .it’s like we are young students and he’s the seasoned teacher .. 🤮

I'm not going to argue with you ABlockalypseBrow. Your opening statement there is a bit of an overgeneralization. I have rarely been a critic of UK fans, actually. I've been posting here since 2003 I think. If you want to tag me with a generalization it is that I am loyal, and in the eyes of some, too loyal. The good news is, I'm loyal to you as well. I can talk about UK fans because I am one, but if others talk about UK fans I will defend us with great vigor. But attacking our own players is not a good look, as you say. And yes, I will say "we" when I speak of that, because I do understand where most of it comes from- a fanatical love of UK basketball. I have been sick all season. I am not happy with what we have seen on the floor. I've had to record games and watch later because it's not healthy for me to just sit and steam while watching. But we need to correct our own, in my opinion. Better the wounds from a friend than kisses from the enemy. I'm glad you agree personal insults aren't needed. That is my entire point. I may have said too much else, though. So, point taken. Grace to you. :)

You hear quite often, from certain people, how UK MBB fans have this terrible reputation. Like it's the only thing sports fans everywhere are concerned with. I've never understood why some feel this way and even if it's true why they give a damn. It seems this is more about being overly focused on and concerned about what some blowhards in the sports media say (Vitale, etc.). To media outlets we're a high-value target with a good return.

This is really about expectations. About whether expectations are realistic and having a reasonable understanding of what the underlying criticisms are. There are many UK fans that legitimately question Cal's methods and his system, regardless of wins and losses. If the sports media pundits, fans of other schools, and those that overemphasize the opinions of sports media mouthpieces, for whatever reason, care more about the perception of UK fans than the legitimate concerns of a significant portion of the fan base, then so be it.

As for Boston, he typifies everything that is wrong with the OAD. It's not really his fault. He's just another cog in the OAD wheel. However, Boston and Cal's performances this year have exposed what's really going on with the program and I for one have had enough of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: susan2361
I just ... I ... I mean ... wow.
Exactly. When I read that post/article, I honestly couldn't think of how to put what I was feeling into exact words...maybe anger, humor, disbelief, but I couldn't. It does explain a lot of things, though. His mind has never really been at Kentucky. It's been in Hollywood and how to look like and become a star, or on the court becoming an overnight legend. But a lot of people, myself included, were really excited at the possibility of what he could bring to the team...based on his 5* ranking. I fell for the hype and maybe that is why I am so bummed. I hope he is a OAD.

Last edited:
I never thought I’d see a Mod scold everyone and talk down to everyone like we just saw . What ac” how dare you “ type post . Whatever , I really don’t care ... ban me from here , ban me from the team , ban me from college basketball.. I really don’t care
If you want to talk to me, talk to me. I'm not talking down to anyone. I'm just giving my opinion like the rest here. I am not saying "or else" just posting as I always have. I am not banning you. Never was going to, and never threatened to. I just don't appreciate childish insults of our players, even if they haven't performed to UK standards. They are still UK players and still deserve to be treated with respect.

Just as a PSA, when I post on this board, I am just posting as one of you. My posts hold no more authority than any of yours when I'm giving an opinion on any topic. This that I've said is just my opinion. I haven't discussed it with other moderators or the owner of the site. They may all disagree with me, actually. If I were acting as a moderator, I would just take action. When I post in threads, I'm just posting an opinion. No threat.

If you want to talk to me, talk to me. I'm not talking down to anyone. I'm just giving my opinion like the rest here. I am not saying "or else" just posting as I always have. I am not banning you. Never was going to, and never threatened to. I just don't appreciate childish insults of our players, even if they haven't performed to UK standards. They are still UK players and still deserve to be treated with respect.

Just as a PSA, when I post on this board, I am just posting as one of you. My posts hold no more authority than any of yours when I'm giving an opinion on any topic. This that I've said is just my opinion. I haven't discussed it with other moderators or the owner of the site. They may all disagree with me, actually. If I were acting as a moderator, I would just take action. When I post in threads, I'm just posting an opinion. No threat.

And we wont get fooled again!

Cal has done what he has done with this team, there is only so much one can say about his coaching effort this year. He has continued to play players that should have sat the bench more than they have. There have been a few games that we have played well, the players should bear some amount of blame or fault for what we have seen this year. I think it is reasonable for fans here to discuss what they have seen. Over the course of the season it has become evident that some players are less invested in the team than they are in their own self interest. Why is it unfair to call them out on that especially when an article is published that makes that very point.

I'm not going to argue with you ABlockalypseBrow. Your opening statement there is a bit of an overgeneralization. I have rarely been a critic of UK fans, actually. I've been posting here since 2003 I think. If you want to tag me with a generalization it is that I am loyal, and in the eyes of some, too loyal. The good news is, I'm loyal to you as well. I can talk about UK fans because I am one, but if others talk about UK fans I will defend us with great vigor. But attacking our own players is not a good look, as you say. And yes, I will say "we" when I speak of that, because I do understand where most of it comes from- a fanatical love of UK basketball. I have been sick all season. I am not happy with what we have seen on the floor. I've had to record games and watch later because it's not healthy for me to just sit and steam while watching. But we need to correct our own, in my opinion. Better the wounds from a friend than kisses from the enemy. I'm glad you agree personal insults aren't needed. That is my entire point. I may have said too much else, though. So, point taken. Grace to you. :)

Happy we can agree a bit. I try my best to love all UK fans, even those who have insulted me on here at times, that includes you too. I agree with your general principle on policing our own but defending them to outsiders, just not necessarily the execution.

At the same time, you seem to have a habit of accusing people who don’t appreciate BJ of having a low basketball IQ or lacking “knowledge of the game”. That to me is a personal insult as well. And you may be right, just like saying BJ “sucks” could be accurate too, but is it constructive? Maybe if your fellow fan is lacking knowledge, enlighten them respectfully, without patronizing or insulting their IQ. You may learn something yourself.

Just my 2 cents, take it or leave it.

Last edited:
I truly hope his footage finds a good producer. Seriously.

While he may have started out believing that his videos would be a build up to an NCAA title or a No. 1 draft pick, the less inspirational tale it could tell would be far more interesting.

I'm talking about a modern era A Season on the Brink here.

Think of what we could all learn, not only about Calipari's administration and modern NCAA basketball, but also the life and mindset of the contemporary teen "super star."

The movie wouldn't be what BJ planned at all - but it would be much better and very informative.
I would watch it.

Reactions: STL_Cat
I seriously doubt that he’s working hard in the gym with anything other than the attitude he exhibited in the article. That’s just not going to work.

IMO he is nowhere close to hitting the bottom which MIGHT allow him the attitude adjustment he needs.

I see him as just a floater at this point.

Reading that article I see a kid that is all about himself. It's ok to dream but he did not get anywhere near is goals. I expect him to leave but i just don't see him being in the NBA very long. Not a great shooter and sure can't defend at all. Not putting the kid down but just facts. Have been watching UK for 50 years and he is not the GOAT.

Happy we can agree a bit. I try my best to love all UK fans, even those who have insulted me on here at times, that includes you too. I agree with your general principle on policing our own but defending them to outsiders, just not necessarily the execution.

At the same time, you seem to have a habit of accusing people who don’t appreciate BJ of having a low basketball IQ or lacking “knowledge of the game”. That to me is a personal insult as well. And you may be right, just like saying BJ “sucks” could be accurate too, but is it constructive? Maybe if your fellow fan is lacking knowledge, enlighten them respectfully, without patronizing or insulting their IQ. You may learn something yourself.

Just my 2 cents, take it or leave it.
Fair enough my friend. My reference to low IQ and too much bourbon would be in reference to those who basically say Boston is worthless, can't shoot, can't rebound, can't defend, and gives no effort. Only 1 of those 4 is true (poor shooter) and that has actually improved as the season has progressed. As I said above, he's actually a decent rebounder for a guard who plays away from the paint, 3rd on the team rebounding. He leads the team in steals, so apparently he can defend some. Regarding his effort, he has been up and down. He is typical of most freshmen, who often defend according to how well their offense is going. What we could safely say about all of the above is that he is inconsistent. He definitely hasn't performed as well as he expects and said in that article. He's not even close to the GOAT.

For the above person who said humility is a good thing, I agree completely. I'm sure this season has been very humbling for him.

For those who think he has little chance to do anything in the NBA, I disagree. He has all the tools to get there. NBA scouts and experts still project him as a first rounder for obvious reasons. His height, size, wingspan, reach, and other measurables make him very attractive. His quickness, ball handling, and ability to create his own shot make his game more conducive to the NBA game than college. I personally think the primary issue with his shot is his mechanics. He has a little hitch just before his release. It looks to me like he cocks his wrists just before his release. I think it can be fixed. He will be drafted 1st round most likely. And if he can fix his shot he will have a chance at a long career. If he can't fix the shot, no other intangibles will keep him in the league.

Reactions: CROCAT
Fair enough my friend. My reference to low IQ and too much bourbon would be in reference to those who basically say Boston is worthless, can't shoot, can't rebound, can't defend, and gives no effort. Only 1 of those 4 is true (poor shooter) and that has actually improved as the season has progressed. As I said above, he's actually a decent rebounder for a guard who plays away from the paint, 3rd on the team rebounding. He leads the team in steals, so apparently he can defend some. Regarding his effort, he has been up and down. He is typical of most freshmen, who often defend according to how well their offense is going. What we could safely say about all of the above is that he is inconsistent. He definitely hasn't performed as well as he expects and said in that article. He's not even close to the GOAT.

For the above person who said humility is a good thing, I agree completely. I'm sure this season has been very humbling for him.

For those who think he has little chance to do anything in the NBA, I disagree. He has all the tools to get there. NBA scouts and experts still project him as a first rounder for obvious reasons. His height, size, wingspan, reach, and other measurables make him very attractive. His quickness, ball handling, and ability to create his own shot make his game more conducive to the NBA game than college. I personally think the primary issue with his shot is his mechanics. He has a little hitch just before his release. It looks to me like he cocks his wrists just before his release. I think it can be fixed. He will be drafted 1st round most likely. And if he can fix his shot he will have a chance at a long career. If he can't fix the shot, no other intangibles will keep him in the league.
He sucks all the way around and my IQ is just fine. He can’t defend on the ball. He gets beat off the bounce constantly! Most of his steals are by cutting into passing lanes. He doesn’t play hard. He has zero motor. How many times have you seen the kid get on the floor for a loose ball this year?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT