ADVERTISEMENT

Fun Non-Conference Series for Football

HoptownCat93

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2015
So we've been discussing the possibility of the U6 series ending, I hope it doesn't....but with the SEC expanding it's going to make it less likely we schedule more teams from other conferences. I think had the SEC/BigTen not expanded and stayed forever at 8 games....we'd be at a point where we'd be able to schedule some rotating non-conference series. So I'd like to list out a few series ideas that would be fun....

I try to schedule series based on a few things....1. regional factor 2. how close they are as a program to us where it would be even 3. dream factor.
For example...although I would love to play USC or Oregon...they're a bit better usually and traveling out west would be a hard for some fans. There's no real rivalry part of it...but I will include them in something else....

These are MY IDEAS, but feel free to share your own. These are hypotheticals....like below I'm putting IU which is an unlikely game now that

1. Indiana on Labor Day Weekend, neutral sites
Have it at neutral sites rotating Nashville, Indy, and maybe Cincy. They're a rival and were our non-conference rival before U6 came into the picture. I think we'd beat them 90% of the time. It would give us that 1 game to hype up all summer and plan a weekend in Nashville or Indy for the 3 day weekend. Both fan bases would travel and there'd be plenty of smack talk for the game. A power conference opponent, a traditional rival, but a team that wouldn't be too hard to beat. Would boost our SOS and I don't think we could complain about the scheduling.

2. Notre Dame- Home and Home
Notre Dame has shown they aren't afraid of scheduling series on the road. They're closer than you think and many UK fans would love to make the trip up here. Louisville has played them 4 times the last decade and have went 2-2. Notre Dame is still a strong program....but like a Florida they aren't that scary. It's a game we could win and it would be a historic game for us in Lexington.

3. North Carolina/Kansas in a Basketball Blueblood on the Gridiron game.
These could be fun neutral site games. The fan bases would travel to see us play. I think we could beat both of them and get respect and it would get both fan bases to show up...because of the basketball intrigue and hatred we have on the hardwood. Play Kansas in St. Louis. UNC we could play in Nashville...also Charlotte wouldn't be a bad place to play either.

4. Michigan State in a Basket-BOWL on Turf at Ford Field in Detroit.
We set the record for indoor basketball attendance 20 years ago for this game. This game would be a big draw and get a really good TV timeslot. This is a team we recruit against and is close to being a power program.....us beating them would be a huge thing for our recruiting and image in that territory. It's a game I'd love to see happen. I think they'd love to play a SEC team and we'd love to play a top Big Ten program.

5. West Virginia Home and Home
This would probably be a 1 time series, but it makes sense. They aren't elite, but they have a big fan base that cares. They'd sellout for this game and we'd sellout for ours. It would be a change of pace for both programs who have never played....idk what it is but I could just see this being a game for each side that brings out a lot of excitement.

6. Ohio State in Cincy
We brought 40k fans to Cincy when we played freaking Miami Ohio, Ohio State and us would pack that place. It's on the border and it would just be a fun atmosphere. They'd probably beat us...lets not lie and that's why it's a bit lower for me than most...but we recruit in that state and they're the premium brand of football most in the northern part of the state have to hear about. It would be a dream matchup for our program. Idk if it's a game that either party would benefit from that much as OSU wouldn't want to help us and it's likely we'd get blown out. But it would be cool to see half the stadium in UK blue and the other half filled with Buckeyes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News