ADVERTISEMENT

From high to low in one week

uk78

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Has any team done such an about face? All the posts here a little more than a week ago had dreams of another championship, complaints about any pundits not rating us in the top 5, our mojo was back, I felt our recruiting would attract every outstanding talent including transfers (anyone we want), we were going to celebrate Bradshaw's coming out party, we had looked amazing against Miami, there were national news about the team, and the pride, excitement, and confidence in the new changes from Cal were at an all time high.

Whoops. UNC Wilmington was the same team that had lost 3 days prior to our game to powerhouse/blueblood East Carolina, and 11 days before our game to top ranked App State (laugh). By 30 points!

No rational person can provide an excuse for the home loss and to see all the Cal love return and quickly end was a wake-up call as a reminder of the terrible coaching in that game.

Our success will depend upon the team players not the coaching.

It seems that so long as we have Cal with these young teams.. we're prone to drop to anyone on a given night.

I'm hoping this is just one of those early season losses that kind of slaps the team awake.

Not trying to excuse Cal or the players but the same can be said all the time. The same team that lost to UNCW was the same team the beat the brakes off Miami. It just shows the difference between when game plans (if any) are actually executed with effort. No team is just good enough to show up and win now in CBB, unless you’re Kansas and get that home whistle.

I think that calling a beat-down of Miami a high might be a symptom of the problems within this fanbase. I'm always pleased when we're making shots, but we won't always (no one does) and defense is where we lose games.
For most teams, losing to UNCW early in the season (especially after coming back to take the lead) shouldn't be a low either.
Our problem is, we have no faith that our coach can fix any of the exposed holes. And even when the kids and the assistants figure it out and do their job... Call will mess it up in the end.

Reactions: wmarkedwards
In the epic words of Tubby Smith: “You are never as good as you think you are and you are never as bad as you think you are.”

And what’s funny or sad depending on how you look at it, is we’re one big win away from people thinking we can’t be beaten again.

Reactions: ManitouDan
Not trying to excuse Cal or the players but the same can be said all the time. The same team that lost to UNCW was the same team the beat the brakes off Miami. It just shows the difference between when game plans (if any) are actually executed with effort. No team is just good enough to show up and win now in CBB, unless you’re Kansas and get that home whistle.
But how do you forget spacing and passing from last game?

Reactions: grevey35
Has any team done such an about face? All the posts here a little more than a week ago had dreams of another championship, complaints about any pundits not rating us in the top 5, our mojo was back, I felt our recruiting would attract every outstanding talent including transfers (anyone we want), we were going to celebrate Bradshaw's coming out party, we had looked amazing against Miami, there were national news about the team, and the pride, excitement, and confidence in the new changes from Cal were at an all time high.

Whoops. UNC Wilmington was the same team that had lost 3 days prior to our game to powerhouse/blueblood East Carolina, and 11 days before our game to top ranked App State (laugh). By 30 points!

No rational person can provide an excuse for the home loss and to see all the Cal love return and quickly end was a wake-up call as a reminder of the terrible coaching in that game.

All the posts??? Not mine. I won’t be fooled again by our charlatan coach. Anyone buying the crap that’s on them. I notice our fanbase is highly susceptible to his manipulative tactics and 4-5-6-7 games in people thought things were different. Let me put it this way I knew this team was in trouble this season when we almost lost to SJ a couple weeks ago. Many were hailing it as a triumph but going to OT against that team was a sign we aren’t as good as some want to believe.

Reactions: ManitouDan

Typical of Cal’s teams lately.

But how do you forget spacing and passing from last game?
That goes with planning and execution. This group is still capable of a great run and has championship talent. We’ve seen overall #1 seeds go down to no-name 16s. No game is a given. Whether it was poor planning or failure of execution, it’s still a loss. Hopefully this is a lesson for everyone. I’m still going to be skeptical though until Cal proves me wrong though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT