ADVERTISEMENT

Freshman at Bucknell, 2 way starter in HS

Sad story. Without knowing every detail, the kid had a medical condition that the family knew could lead to serious health risks if he became exhausted from working out. An hour into his first workout in college and he collapsed. The parents want answers, but it seems from the article that what could possibly happen with his condition, happened. Very sad.

From reading the article it sounded like this was a known condition by the family I and it is hard to believe the coaches weren't aware of it. I don't know enough about the condition to know how to monitor him, when to tell him to stop. It's a sad situation, I just wonder how he was clear to participate in an activity that clearly place him in danger.

Bucknell has shut down communications for obvious reasons.

This death will likely lead to ALL with the condition being banned from athletic competition.

Bucknell has shut down communications for obvious reasons.

This death will likely lead to ALL with the condition being banned from athletic competition.

~10% of Black people have Sickle Cell Trait, including many professional athletes. A vast majority of these folks have no related medical issues whatsoever. Obviously a tragedy, but no way NCAA would be able to ban these kids from playing.

~10% of Black people have Sickle Cell Trait, including many professional athletes. A vast majority of these folks have no related medical issues whatsoever. Obviously a tragedy, but no way NCAA would be able to ban these kids from playing.

Agree, but there needs to be an accepted form of monitoring an individual known to have the trait. Maybe that's impossible I don't know enough about the condition.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT