ADVERTISEMENT

Four Takeaways From the Nike Hoops Summit

UKMKG

Sophomore
Gold Member
Apr 8, 2012
1. Unfortunately, Barrett is head and shoulders above the rest of the class.

2. This class is weak overall. One reason we’re seeing Cal pushing for reclassifications in the 2019 class.

3. I know Bol Bol comes with “baggage” but man I wish we could’ve found a way to take him. He’s gonna average 4 blocks a game next year.

4. Reddish has the motor of Kevin Knox and doesn’t scare me at all. There’s a reason his team lost 10 games.

Charles Bassey is the most impressive big IMO but no wonder the big schools are staying away.

2. This class is weak overall. One reason we’re seeing Cal pushing for reclassifications in the 2019 class.

3. I know Bol Bol comes with “baggage” but man I wish we could’ve found a way to take him. He’s gonna average 4 blocks a game next year.

4. Reddish has the motor of Kevin Knox and doesn’t scare me at all. There’s a reason his team lost 10 games.
Exactly! Let us hope that reddish unlike Knox doesn't develop into a player relied upon for points..alot of them

Duke is going to see a ton of zone next year. RJ and Zion both can't shoot. Reddish isn't great either

Duke is going to struggle badly next year. Although Barrett looked decent tonight, his lack of shooting is going to be an issue for them. Reddish is flat out overrated and Tre Jones isn't even on the level of Quade Green. They better hope Zion is LeBron (which he isn't) or it's going to be a rough season.

Wouldn't make any assumptions based on all star circuit. And Reddish is a winner. That commentary from Fran Fraschilla was so weird, we're now judging W/L in HS? His team the year prior had Mo Bamba with him and they won. I've seen a lot of "Winners" in HS end up crappy players in college. Biancardi's "I never saw Towns play hard until he played for Thibs" is a complete joke. Guy won everything he could possibly win in HS, was part of a 38-1 team and became the #1 pick for a reason. So sensitive about being questioned on poor HS rankings--and how quickly Biancardi forgets that Towns wasn't on AAU circuit prior to his SR season. So how the hell would he know how he played since he didn't see him?

Duke will be fine--Reddish/Barrett are going to be great and if anything, after a monster JR season which he carried over to the AAU circuit, surprised how much Tre Jones is looking more like the guard he was prior to that surge.

It appears that Herro can create his own shot. That’s far more deadly than a great spot up shooter who can’t get open and be denied the ball. Wiltjer could be shut down due to not being able to get a shot off.

Weak class.

Barrett is the best. Only player in the class that could surpass him is the 7’2” dude that only plays half the time.

If some dudes come back that should, we should handle Duke.

Reactions: Cindog28
Wouldn't make any assumptions based on all star circuit. And Reddish is a winner. That commentary from Fran Fraschilla was so weird, we're now judging W/L in HS? His team the year prior had Mo Bamba with him and they won. I've seen a lot of "Winners" in HS end up crappy players in college. Biancardi's "I never saw Towns play hard until he played for Thibs" is a complete joke. Guy won everything he could possibly win in HS, was part of a 38-1 team and became the #1 pick for a reason. So sensitive about being questioned on poor HS rankings--and how quickly Biancardi forgets that Towns wasn't on AAU circuit prior to his SR season. So how the hell would he know how he played since he didn't see him?

Duke will be fine--Reddish/Barrett are going to be great and if anything, after a monster JR season which he carried over to the AAU circuit, surprised how much Tre Jones is looking more like the guard he was prior to that surge.

This game is more organized. Cowboy has it right. You can also take away certain items from an all-star game. Reddish is way over rated and so is Trae Jones. A lot of takes in this thread are pretty accurate.

Reactions: Hoskins21

Reddish doesn't have to be his team's 1st scoring option. I hate Duke, but painting Reddish as 2nd rate is a mistake. The kid is legit.

What’s the baggage stuff with Bol?

I heard Matt Jones talk about something with his visit the other day on the show and I hadn’t heard anything about that before.

Barret, Bassey Bol, and Garland looked to be the impact players.

The only Rex Chapman walking through the door anytime soon is the actual 49 year old Rex Chapman.
Cool the hype down some or its only going to be needless consternation, pointless frustration, and misguided anger as a result.

Jones played way too much, was the coach a family member?

On a related note who was that coach, did he care about what was going on?

Shame Johnson didn't play.

Bad game over all, wish I'd watched one of the movies I have piled up instead. Poor use of my time.

Duke's not done recruiting yet. Lots of our fans were bashing them all summer last year right before K pulled Bagley/Nike out of his ass.
They pulled of a great recruiting class this past year, which had one of the better starting 5 I've seen in recent years. They had far more size, length, skill, depth and actual shooters than this new team will come close to and they still struggled a lot this year and only made the elite 8. What exactly impresses you about their upcoming team?

Barrett is a great player that can't shoot. Zion is a great athlete that can dunk at will against smaller players, however, he can't shoot at all and his handle is going to be questionable at the next level. He's also 6'5 and will be forced to play the 4 and 5 against much taller and stronger guys than he is use to. Reddish is also a good player, but he's an average shooter and doesn't play D. He, Barrett and Tre Jones also like and need to have the ball on their hands a lot to be effective.

Duke will have less experience, less shooters, less depth and will most likely be as bad or worse defensively than were this past year. Are you just frightened by the player rankings? Or, is there actual substance about that team that makes you nervous?

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I'm ignorant to his situation, why is he untouchable?

Similar situation to Mudiay if you remember that recruitment. High School program he’s playing for is a complete farce and the buzz is he’s going to end up at WKU. He will probably end up the way the McD they signed last year did

Hopefully, watching Herro struggle a bit and Quickley not make a dent in the McDAA’s game will ease the consternation about Cal’s pursuit of Maxey.

We lost our two top scorers and best players off an average team. We’re going to lose our most dynamic if inconsistent player. Maybe more.

KJ replaces Knox, Hagans replaces SGA, some combo of Quickley/Herro/Baker replace Diallo’s and possibly Green’s minutes plus hopefully some of SGA and Green’s outside scoring production since Hagans isn’t a great shooter.

Montgomery replaces SKJ and perhaps the minutes of one of PJ/JV/WG.

I’m not seeing an appreciably better team there - frontcourt or backcourt, unless Green stays and 2 of the three front court guys stay.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
I dont like Bol. He is a twig and needs 3 to 4 years to become physically what he needs to be to become a real beast IMO. He will be 1nD so the NBA will take him on potential and toughen him up. That is my problem with recruiting Bol.

Reactions: BigBlueFanGA
Reddish is going to be completely outshone by Barrett next year.

You’ve got to wonder what he and Tre Jones are thinking though, last year all the talk was of those two teaming up with their friend Darius Garland to form the nucleus of the next great Duke recruiting class.

Those guys seemed to really want to play together. Next thing you know, the massive ego and ball vacuum that is RJ Barrett reclasses and Duke dumps Garland.

Barrett is going to eclipse Zion too. He would have been the star of the team and in the discussion for No. 1 pick at Clemson, SC, or UK for that matter.

Instead he’s going to be a sideshow act with an occasional spectacular athletic play at Duke next year.

I dont like Bol. He is a twig and needs 3 to 4 years to become physically what he needs to be to become a real beast IMO. He will be 1nD so the NBA will take him on potential and toughen him up. That is my problem with recruiting Bol.
People said the same to me about Davis. I’m not sold at all on Barrett. This class isn’t great and he an athlete with a motor who can’t shoot. He banked a free throw for Goodness sake. Teams for sure will play zone on Duke.

Barrett may have had an off game but I was surprised as to how average of a shooter he is. Take away his dunks and he is common. Nothing to bet the farm on. 8 for 20 in a pick up All Star game is nothing to celebrate. But he does have a nice mix tape video.

Duke and their fans are going to be shocked when their 4 top 10 recruits face the real college basketball world.

All of a sudden Reddish is overrated . Yet during his recruitment many wanted him .

It’s an all-star game I don’t take anything from that really .
I haven't been able to watch any of these all star games, but I do remember Barrett demolishing the USA team coached by Cal, as bad as I hate it we know he will be as advertised.

RJ Barrett is insanely talented but I think they will have chemistry issues. We need Carter to declare though.

Just odd to see people downplay ZW when the best player in the SEC this year was an undersized PF. Kid will be a monster.

Hopefully, watching Herro struggle a bit and Quickley not make a dent in the McDAA’s game will ease the consternation about Cal’s pursuit of Maxey.

We lost our two top scorers and best players off an average team. We’re going to lose our most dynamic if inconsistent player. Maybe more.

KJ replaces Knox, Hagans replaces SGA, some combo of Quickley/Herro/Baker replace Diallo’s and possibly Green’s minutes plus hopefully some of SGA and Green’s outside scoring production since Hagans isn’t a great shooter.

Montgomery replaces SKJ and perhaps the minutes of one of PJ/JV/WG.

I’m not seeing an appreciably better team there - frontcourt or backcourt, unless Green stays and 2 of the three front court guys stay.

Your analysis of Herro struggling at Nike Hoops and Quickley not making a dent in McD game some how eases BBN on Cal's pursuit of Maxey? Really? Herro barely played 7 minutes and barely touched the ball. Jones/Reddish combined 4/17 from field last night, that's a struggle. All Star games (McD/Jordan) are all show with zero defense and guys doing their own thing - I wouldn't put any stock in these games. I see Cal's pursuit of Maxey tied to not letting what happened to this year's team where guys where playing 38+ minutes a game because of no depth than who is signed to play for UK next year.

For next year's team right now, UK will be better and deeper at every position with the skill set improving tremendously - better shooters, passers, and a much higher basketball IQ. (WG/SKJ/Diallo have really low basketball IQs). There isn't one position UK won't be better as a whole than the 2017-18 team.

RJ Barrett is insanely talented but I think they will have chemistry issues. We need Carter to declare though.

Just odd to see people downplay ZW when the best player in the SEC this year was an undersized PF. Kid will be a monster.

Yeah, put him on a team like South Carolina and he would have been a monster. Possibly SEC POY, but there are only so many possessions and points to be scored in a game, and Barrett is such an alpha personality and so ball dominant, he’s just going to overshadow everyone else.

Zion will probably average 12 pts and 9 rbs a game and he’ll be a regular on ESPN’s Top 10 highlights, but Barrett will be the talk of basketball.

It’s kind of like Bagley and Carter this year, but worse. If you watched Duke last year, I don’t know that Carter wasn’t their best and most consistent player, but Bagley got all the hype.

If Bagley hadn’t reclass’d, it would have been an entirely different story. Carter would have the star, in the discussion for POY, and a Top 3 draft pick, and I think Duke may well have ended up being a better more balanced team at the end of the year.

Coach K cost Carter a couple of million dollars getting Bagley reclassed. Now watch him talk him into coming back next year for a shot at being the Top 3 draft pick he should have been this year - and the kid will probably do it. If he does, and we lose a guy like PJ to the G League, I may have to quit basketball for a while.

Reactions: qwesley
Yeah, once I realized Herro wasn’t playing anymore I channeled the game. Maybe that genius US coach should have ran an actual play for Herro to get an open 3. Anybody that watched that game and doesn’t think Jones and Reddish are overrated are out of their minds.
Overall this is a very weak class and it is possible we have 4 Mcdonald all Americans from last years stacked class come back, plus Gabriel!

Yeah, once I realized Herro wasn’t playing anymore I channeled the game. Maybe that genius US coach should have ran an actual play for Herro to get an open 3. Anybody that watched that game and doesn’t think Jones and Reddish are overrated are out of their minds.
Overall this is a very weak class and it is possible we have 4 Mcdonald all Americans from last years stacked class come back, plus Gabriel!
It was two hours of my time I will never get back. I could have been in bed getting some much needed rest. All star games are a show case and hype only. They really do not mean much in the long run. When Coach Cal gets a hold of Tyler Herro you will see a star being born. I like our future.

Reactions: Looksbetterinblue
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT