ADVERTISEMENT

Four starters out, on the road, awful refs and we STILL WON!!!

First, I am of course thrilled we won. But, let's be honest please. Texas A. and M. also was missing their top player (Not a sub, but their number one player) who had to sit on the bench with a high ankle sprain so he didn't play at all. Second, their interior guy fouled out along with Towns. We were EXTREMELY lucky that A and M can't shoot foul shots. Of course Andrew bricking a number of foul shots perhaps could be argued as balancing that aspect out. Nevertheless, in absolute crunch time Lyles and Johnson came through. And, although it would be hard to defend some of the ref's calls it didn't influence the on-court outcome as much as much as Kentucky allowing lay-up after lay-up.

Poy is gone for the year but let's not pretend like he was having some superstar season. Yes, he helped with experience and rebounding, but again to be honest, Lyles has brought another offensive option that Poy was not.

Finally, I am hoping that as aong as we win, these games might be the answer to lead us to a National Championship. Imagine if this was the NCAA tourney and some team exposed this weakness before there was a chance to correct it? The blow-outs are wonderful to watch, makes us all feel great, but maybe it isn't the best situation to see a team truly improve.
This post was edited on 1/11 11:20 AM by uk78

One of the issues I've heard mentioned is that maybe the guys are not playing as well because they are not used to playing together as much, outside of the platoons. At first I thought "whatever" but the more I think about it...maybe there is something to do it? It takes time for a team to gel together, took 2011 and 2012 and certainly last year's team various lengths of time. So, it may get better long term, but may have some growing pains in the coming weeks.
Originally posted by uk78:
First, I am of course thrilled we won. But, let's be honest please. Texas A. and M. also was missing their top player (Not a sub, but their number one player) who had to sit on the bench with a high ankle sprain so he didn't play at all. Second, their interior guy fouled out along with Towns. We were EXTREMELY lucky that A and M can't shoot foul shots. Of course Andrew bricking a number of foul shots perhaps could be argued as balancing that aspect out. Nevertheless, in absolute crunch time Lyles and Johnson came through. And, although it would be hard to defend some of the ref's calls it didn't influence the on-court outcome as much as much as Kentucky allowing lay-up after lay-up.

Poy is gone for the year but let's not pretend like he was having some superstar season. Yes, he helped with experience and rebounding, but again to be honest, Lyles has brought another offensive option that Poy was not.

Finally, I am hoping that as aong as we win, these games might be the answer to lead us to a National Championship. Imagine if this was the NCAA tourney and some team exposed this weakness before there was a chance to correct it? The blow-outs are wonderful to watch, makes us all feel great, but maybe it isn't the best situation to see a team truly improve.

Originally posted by Samwise Ganjee:
Actually we spotted them five guys if you count Poy

Good grief, people!!!

This is the story here: Kentucky wins with both hands behind its back!!!
The A&M game is the first game in which i thought we helped the other team try to beat us.Ole Miss played probably as good as they could and we played well enough to beat them.

Our play allowed TAM to stay in the game and almost pull out a win

Originally posted by UKWildcats#8:
One of the issues I've heard mentioned is that maybe the guys are not playing as well because they are not used to playing together as much, outside of the platoons. At first I thought "whatever" but the more I think about it...maybe there is something to do it? It takes time for a team to gel together, took 2011 and 2012 and certainly last year's team various lengths of time. So, it may get better long term, but may have some growing pains in the coming weeks.

No question about it, we didn't deserve to win the game yesterday, but those kids refused to lose and found a way. The experience of playing on the road in the conference will only make this team better. Experiencing the energy and intensity other teams will bring will mean more than Cal's warning about being every team's Super Bowl. They will need to learn how to match that intensity EVERY game and figure out a way to avoid slow starts. In the end though, I think they will continue to improve as the season progresses.

Originally posted by CoachR35:
Originally posted by UKWildcats#8:

No question about it, we didn't deserve to win the game yesterday, but those kids refused to lose and found a way. The experience of playing on the road in the conference will only make this team better. Experiencing the energy and intensity other teams will bring will mean more than Cal's warning about being every team's Super Bowl. They will need to learn how to match that intensity EVERY game and figure out a way to avoid slow starts. In the end though, I think they will continue to improve as the season progresses.
Yup, one of our biggest issues is not bringing it for 40 minutes. And to be fair, that is not something new to 2015 as we had that issue in some of our OOC games as well. At some point these guys are going to start respecting their SEC opponents, and when they do, they should have some easier games/double digit wins.

People forget the great 2012 team STRUGGLED at Auburn and at UT in their first two OOC games. They also had close games at Vandy and at MSU...even played a game they won 57-44 at UGA that people on here hammered them for because they only scored 57.

Good grief their guy Roberson fouled out with 10 seconds left in the 2nd OTwhile WCS fouled out with 5 mins left and KAT fouled out early in the 1st OT. I will admit thaf the OP is a little over the top but yours is just straight crap. Please become a Card fan because your post belongs on their board

dmaso, you may disagree with someone's opinion (and Roberson was on the bench at times because of foul trouble and of course you ignored the other fact that A and M's best player wasn't even playing). But, no matter what you think, to make the worse insult to me, that is possible, you should be banned from the board. Just for that, I am going to come close in return to your insult as possible. YOU SHOULD BE AN INDIANA FAN!

This post was edited on 1/11 12:55 PM by uk78

We were EXTREMELY lucky that A and M can't shoot foul shots. Of course Andrew bricking a number of foul shots perhaps could be argued as balancing that aspect out. Nevertheless, in absolute crunch time Lyles and Johnson came through. And, although it would be hard to defend some of the ref's calls it didn't influence the on-court outcome as much as much as Kentucky allowing lay-up after lay-up.

This is the kind of non-sense (CLUTTER) that Andrew needlessly has to put up with from his own "fans". Andrew missed his first four foul shots and made his last four (at crunch time) and you credit Lyles and Dakari. Sure theirs were big but so were Andrews late in the 2nd half. Oh and I'm still trying to figure out how Andrew's four missed free throws "balance out" A&M's 14 missed free throws. That's pitiful. Andrew didn't play well yesterday but come on.

Originally posted by spotter34:

We were EXTREMELY lucky that A and M can't shoot foul shots. Of course Andrew bricking a number of foul shots perhaps could be argued as balancing that aspect out. Nevertheless, in absolute crunch time Lyles and Johnson came through. And, although it would be hard to defend some of the ref's calls it didn't influence the on-court outcome as much as much as Kentucky allowing lay-up after lay-up.

This is the kind of non-sense (CLUTTER) that Andrew needlessly has to put up with from his own "fans". Andrew missed his first four foul shots and made his last four (at crunch time) and you credit Lyles and Dakari. Sure theirs were big but so were Andrews late in the 2nd half. Oh and I'm still trying to figure out how Andrew's four missed free throws "balance out" A&M's 14 missed free throws. That's pitiful. Andrew didn't play well yesterday but come on.
Harrison actually had 5 assists to 1 TO (which was not a turnover). His only real issue was his shooting, which has always been a bit of an issue. He is obviously a lot better FT shooter than he showed yesterday, and did hit them when it mattered. But as far as PG duties, he played pretty well with his assists to turnovers, defense, etc.

Progress each game...close games prepare this team for those nailbiters down the road....need to fix offensive efficiency by installing more interior plays, lobs and hand offs. Alabama beat TAMU by 20 points....UK needs to recapture some of that defensive intensity that they had at the beginning of the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT