ADVERTISEMENT

Former Oregon State RB Damien Martinez to visit UK

Grump,

You may be right, but those total yards numbers are a little misleading when it comes to how good Martinez is...

Against Oregon was really the only game he was stuffed...
13 carries for 38 yds... 2.92 ypc

However, against Washington, he was still quite good
26 carries for 123 yards...4.73 ypc

There were zero teams on his schedule besides Oregon that he didn't average more than 4 yards per carry, and for the season, he averaged over 6 ypc. With those numbers in mind, I would take him in without hesitation.

The only reservation would be IF there were concerns about attitude, work ethic, etc. I am not saying those concerns exist for this kid - just saying hypothetically speaking, those would be the only reason for hesitation based upon his production.

Neither team ran the ball very well in this past Civil War and DJ was all over the field with his arm, if I recall correctly.

This player has an explosive first step. runs away from people. What I find surprising is that he's from TX but his only in-state offer out of HS was TX ST. I know, I know...players develop at different rates but watching his HS film he looked most capable. Wonder if Shorts has any past experience with him?

Yeah, I would like to see Martinez/Chip be a 1-2 combo similar to Snell/Boom in 2016...not in a power/speed complimentary way like Boom/Snell, but in the fact that neither guy had to get a ton of carries yet each guy was fantastic when they were in.

That also puts less mileage on their bodies before even getting to the NFL.
The best SEC teams have 3 or 4 great RB's, at least. If we want to reach that next level the OL and depth at the skill positions need to be high level.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
The best SEC teams have 3 or 4 great RB's, at least. If we want to reach that next level the OL and depth at the skill positions need to be high level.

I agree...I just remember that 2016 team being so fun to watch with those two guys leading the way at RB. Jojo Kemp also provided valuable depth in that RB room.

Reactions: The-Hack
I just remember that 2016 team being so fun to watch with those two guys leading the way at RB.

I went to the 2016 Mizzou game in Columbia, where Boom and Snell both went over 185 yards.

Apparently that game film is still used by medical professionals studying avian digestion!!

If you really want to study what shit running through a goose looks like, just pull that game up on YouTube!

Save A Goose: the Day Bennie and Boom Got Lose:

Last edited:
Would be interesting to hear the details of how the football program works the portal. It seems if a player from one of the better programs comes available and it is a position of need for us we are all over him immediately, and usually get a visit and a commitment a lot of times. Considering we are not on the GA and AL level we seem to do about as good as possible and it would interesting seeing the success of the people behind the scenes especially in flagging and making it happen.

Reactions: Deeeefense
Was a longshot, has been a Miami lean since entering portal.

Yeah, and Miami set up a visit with Peny Boone, reportedly. That may have encouraged Martinez to act quickly. Boone may still return to UL, according to one site. Wild times.

Stinks. Not a lot of RB talent left from my view. Hope one of the incoming FR is a revelation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT