ADVERTISEMENT

Former Oregon State RB Damien Martinez to visit UK

Yeah most analysts think Miami(fl), most desperate to spend on the free agent market this month & his last visit

Still, can't get a home run without swinging for the fences. Glad we got a visit.

Reactions: JASUN74
This kid looks legit and would definitely see snaps. But, aren't we already sorta full at the RB position? Seems like Patterson, Wilcox, DSK and Trayanum all got good remarks during spring ball and there's only so many carries/targets to be found. Do we need another RB - I truly can't tell from the reports from Spring? If he brings a different skillset or he'd obviously be the workhorse, then, yes, let's get him (although someone may transfer immediately so depth won't necessarily get better). If he's another piece that we'll plug in, I think we have more pressing needs (perhaps).

Reactions: mattrudd
This kid looks legit and would definitely see snaps. But, aren't we already sorta full at the RB position? Seems like Patterson, Wilcox, DSK and Trayanum all got good remarks during spring ball and there's only so many carries/targets to be found. Do we need another RB - I truly can't tell from the reports from Spring? If he brings a different skillset or he'd obviously be the workhorse, then, yes, let's get him (although someone may transfer immediately so depth won't necessarily get better). If he's another piece that we'll plug in, I think we have more pressing needs (perhaps).
See my last comments re RBs in the "Boone to UL" thread. Just my opinion.

Martinez averaged 6 yards a carry and caught several passes. Looks to be much better than anyone we have. His stats last year shows he is a pretty big time RB. His NIL with OR was 400,000 so will cost us. But if we want a proven big time runner would be worth it.

He would be RB1 with Traynum as 1a, but there's a chance, I would guess, that Traynum may leave, but you can't pass on a RB like this if you have the money.

He is a good back, very good back though, but his completion level was barely above SunBelt. Against Washington and Oregon he had 39 carries for 160 yards. I think UK already has a better transfer back than him in the kid from OSU.

He is a good back, very good back though, but his completion level was barely above SunBelt. Against Washington and Oregon he had 39 carries for 160 yards. I think UK already has a better transfer back than him in the kid from OSU.
Appreciate the outside evaluation. Maybe we have a couple layers/back to back games to offload the workload from though.

And Hershel W. averaged about 4 yards a carry against UK. Scott Schroeder still bears the scars of meeting HW in the gap!!

Big difference, Buck Blue was a worse passer than announcer and we didn't have another back, everyone in the stadium knew Hershele was going to get the ball.

On a side note, very early in my career I was coaching on the opposite side from HW. As good a back as he was, he was a better LB. Mid way first quarter we didn't have anyone who wanted the ball, he was about 30lb bigger than our biggest OL and fastest guy on the field. Our starting TB wore athletic glasses and his first carry HW knocked both lens out, not to mention the breath and fight. Game was over.

Our starting TB wore athletic glasses and his first carry HW knocked both lens out, not to mention the breath and fight. Game was over.

I worked with a young Cincinnati cop 20 years ago, in an odd case seeking protection for a 5 year old kid.

After 10 phone conversations, I told him I thought I could hear a Southern accent. His claim to fame: HW broke the cop’s leg running over him his senior season!

Small world!!

I worked with a young Cincinnati cop 20 years ago, in an odd case seeking protection for a 5 year old kid.

After 10 phone conversations, I told him I thought I could hear a Southern accent. His claim to fame: HW broke the cop’s leg running over him his senior season!

Small world!!

He was scarey in Ga class A where DBs averaged about 150, I seen RB with more wiggle than HW, I am even in the group that thinks Todd Gurley was at his level, but I have never seen a better LB.

You would think after a few years the story would have evolved into broke his leg stopping HW at the 1.

• Haha
Reactions: The-Hack
reminded he had a great OL last seasom

Ultimately, for me, UK needs another RB so hope he lands in lex. The current stable isn’t enough for 9 wins unless other position groups are better than I anticipate and/or good luck in close games.

His game splits

Love the Herschel stories. I would not have wanted to be a ball carrier with a guy that big and fast hitting me.

Grump,

You may be right, but those total yards numbers are a little misleading when it comes to how good Martinez is...

Against Oregon was really the only game he was stuffed...
13 carries for 38 yds... 2.92 ypc

However, against Washington, he was still quite good
26 carries for 123 yards...4.73 ypc

There were zero teams on his schedule besides Oregon that he didn't average more than 4 yards per carry, and for the season, he averaged over 6 ypc. With those numbers in mind, I would take him in without hesitation.

The only reservation would be IF there were concerns about attitude, work ethic, etc. I am not saying those concerns exist for this kid - just saying hypothetically speaking, those would be the only reason for hesitation based upon his production.

I hope we get Martinez but if so I would be surprised if we didn't lose an existing back to the portal. That's just the world we live in guys want to play, they don't want to be the 3rd 4th or 5th back, when they can be 1 or 2 somewhere else.

Reactions: Davae9 and mattrudd
Grump,

You may be right, but those total yards numbers are a little misleading when it comes to how good Martinez is...

Against Oregon was really the only game he was stuffed...
13 carries for 38 yds... 2.92 ypc

However, against Washington, he was still quite good
26 carries for 123 yards...4.73 ypc

There were zero teams on his schedule besides Oregon that he didn't average more than 4 yards per carry, and for the season, he averaged over 6 ypc. With those numbers in mind, I would take him in without hesitation.

The only reservation would be IF there were concerns about attitude, work ethic, etc. I am not saying those concerns exist for this kid - just saying hypothetically speaking, those would be the only reason for hesitation based upon his production.

Not awful, but the rest of the teams on the schedule thought defense was a dirty word and avoided it. He is a good back, but the guy UK got is a good one, the one that went to OSU from OM is a good one and ETN that came to UGA is a good one, all against mush better competition week after week. Just an opinion, not a stated fact.

Uh, I think he’s a talent, but we’ve had a series of backs with similar numbers since 2016.

I could make a statistical argument that Ray Davis is the best college back since 1988, but beauty is always in the eye of the beholder.

Declaring him as the best UK ever is a post from a dad. UK has had some very good backs and, if this guy is already better than Snell, Williams, CRod … he would probably be in the draft.

The fact is, with Davis moving on, we don’t have an identifiable top shelf SEC RB on staff for the first time in years. We want Chip T to be that, but he still needs to prove that as a primary back. Martinez would get a lot of carries, one would think, in an offense and system that has historically maximized talented RBs.

Declaring him as the best UK ever is a post from a dad. UK has had some very good backs and, if this guy is already better than Snell, Williams, CRod … he would probably be in the draft.

The fact is, with Davis moving on, we don’t have an identifiable top shelf SEC RB on staff for the first time in years. We want Chip T to be that, but he still needs to prove that as a primary back. Martinez would get a lot of carries, one would think, in an offense and system that has historically maximized talented RBs.

Yeah, I would like to see Martinez/Chip be a 1-2 combo similar to Snell/Boom in 2016...not in a power/speed complimentary way like Boom/Snell, but in the fact that neither guy had to get a ton of carries yet each guy was fantastic when they were in.

That also puts less mileage on their bodies before even getting to the NFL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT