ADVERTISEMENT

For those that are still defending Calipari….

St.PatterSoN-54-

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
….please answer the following three questions:
A) did you feel confident that we would run a good set play to tie the game down three late in the game?
B) when is the last time you found yourself saying: “wow, Cal really outsmarted the other coach there”
C) did you enjoy seeing a second in-bounds play twice last night before we went back to “lob it into Mitchell”?

I used to defend Cal. I really did. But like many of you, I was defending Cal the recruiter, and not Cal the terrible in-game coach.

Kentucky lost a very close game to the #1 team in the country in early November with three players out, five freshmen playing their first significant college game, and the team's best players having a cold shooting night.

Your questions are pointless. There are 50 things in any college basketball game like inbound passes and the set used on one particular shot that anyone could isolate, win or lose.

The freshmen will get better like all do. Reeves will shoot better. Ivisic and Bradshaw and Onyenso will give the team many, many more options and looks.

It hurts to lose a game like last night. But crying about it and acting like it is some amazing evidence of a poorly coached team borders on childish.

If Kansas is the #1 team in the country, then the team Calipari has assembled has a higher ceiling than any team in America. I hope the people weeping like children are embarrassed for how they acted in early November if and when the team reaches that potential.

Last edited:
Kentucky lost a very close game to the #1 team in the country in early November with three players out, and the team's best players having a cold shooting night.

Your questions are pointless. There are 50 things in any college basketball game like inbound passes and the set used on one particular shot that anyone could isolate, win or lose.

Kentucky has four freshmen who were playing their first significant college game, and first away from Rupp. The team's presumed star had an off night. Ivisic and Bradshaw and Onyenso will give the team many, many more options and looks.

It hurts to lose a game like last night. But crying about it and acting like it is some amazing evidence of a poorly coached team borders on childish.

If Kansas is the #1 team in the country, then the team Calipari has assembled has a higher ceiling than any team in the country. I hope the people weeping like children are embarrassed for how they acted in early November if and when the team reaches that potential.
It's not just summarizing last night's game. It's a symptom of the entire Calipari era.

Kentucky lost a very close game to the #1 team in the country in early November with three players out, and the team's best players having a cold shooting night.

Kentucky has four freshmen who were playing their first significant college game, and first away from Rupp. The team's presumed star had an off night. Ivisic and Bradshaw and Onyenso will give the team many, many more options and looks.

If Kansas is the #1 team in the country, then the team Calipari has assembled has a higher ceiling than any team in the country. I hope the people weeping like children are embarrassed for how they acted in early November if and when the team reaches that potential.
As predictable as night will follow day is that Cal will loose big games that requires strategic coaching.

Well said. Wagner and Edwards went straight from playing high school competition to a couple very low level D1 schools to #1 Kansas. Luckily it didn’t phase Shepard and Dillingham (although Dillingham cost us at the end. Still wouldn’t be in that position without him though) .
This team will be good. This team will also lose many games (hopefully not too many). But they’ll be fun to watch and when healthy we are more talented and can beat anyone.

Kentucky should have won that game last night. I don’t know what set play was called at the end, the helter shelter or the broken weave but it was horrible. Kentucky gave Kansas a present last night. This is the trademark of Cal and has always been that way, he does so many things right but his play calling or lack of in tight games is atrocious.

Kentucky lost a game they shouldn't of lost. When you are up 14 in the second half and up 6 with 3 minutes to go, you have to pull it out if you're Kentucky. You just have to.

I don't care if heading into the game, nobody thought we had a shot. Our guys proved they were the better talent, but poor coaching decisions down the stretch led to the loss (line-ups down the stretch, play calling, you name it). The sad part is I expected us to lose those leads and fall. It's been a common theme under Cal lately.

Down the stretch, guys made a few costly turnovers, took a few bad shots...and Kansas had a guy averaging 1 pt, bury critical threes down the stretch.

It was a frustrating loss for sure. But, the disadvantages the players overcame was awesome to watch. Without looking at the box score, it seemed like Thiero, Mitchell and Reeves played all 40 minutes. Dilly and Shepherd had some foul trouble in the first half.

Anyway, the game was an encouraging sign for me.

Kentucky lost a very close game to the #1 team in the country in early November with three players out, five freshmen playing their first significant college game, and the team's best players having a cold shooting night.

The freshmen will get better like all do. Reeves will be better. Ivisic and Bradshaw and Onyenso will give the team many, many more options and looks.

I'm not happy about the loss either. It's time to start winning these games. But like you said, if you can't see the ceiling this team has you're blind. It's as high as any team in the country once the roster fills back out, maybe higher. I get we're all not happy with Cal right now. But I'm willing to let things play out more this year before I pass judgement completely. Not like I have any choice.

The freshmen will get better like all do. Reeves will shoot better. Ivisic and Bradshaw and Onyenso will give the team many, many more options and looks.

I am sure you already have excuses for every game we lose this year...as well as every game Cal has lost since day one. Why win if you have an excuse for losing?

"Moral victories"
"Wait until March"
"The freshmen will get better"
"Wait until the team reaches it's potential"

It's November and this shit has already started

Dillingham fouling out hurt too. Lost a good option for cutting there. I'm not overly overly pissed at Cal, he did coach a good game up until the last few minutes, but he's got to stop this tightening up crap with the lead. It's infuriating. I did see some good changes at times though. Just got to stop choking away these leads late.

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-

Please stop making fun of IU fans, because people like you are starting to sound just like 'em. Moral victories because we stayed close to the #1 team in the nation, not because we actually beat 'em. That vaunted "we're young" excuse. Nobody on that selection committee gives a damn about how young we are. They care about wins and losses. That's all that matters. Kansas is a roster constructed of skilled veterans that have been around the block. That's on Bill Self. That's how he built his roster. We are young as hell, and that's on Calipari. This is how he chooses to build his roster year after year, so quite frankly, I'm tired of hearing the bull shit "we are young" excuse. Our record in the champions classic is horrible. We are like 2-8 against Kansas and Duke. I'm done with the excuses.

I thought @St.PatterSoN-54- questions were spot on. For every limitation you listed, if Cal was a true X’s and O’s guy, we wouldn’t have pissed that one down our legs. So many missed opportunities during Cal’s tenure where coaching impacted us negativity.

Last edited:
Down the stretch, guys made a few costly turnovers, took a few bad shots...and Kansas had a guy averaging 1 pt, bury critical threes down the stretch.

It was a frustrating loss for sure. But, the disadvantages the players overcame was awesome to watch. Without looking at the box score, it seemed like Thiero, Mitchell and Reeves played all 40 minutes. Dilly and Shepherd had some foul trouble in the first half.

Anyway, the game was an encouraging sign for me.
You guys are like dementia patients. No memory of what just happened the year before. As the season progresses you'll forget what happened a few games before. At the end of the season you'll say, "Look who we've got coming in next year! Let's see how this plays out" and the dementia will kick in, and rinse repeat you'll magically forget everything that happened and reboot your brains. Cal has somehow put a spell on you where you have no memory of how he always manages to tank the season.

You guys are like dementia patients. No memory of what just happened the year before. As the season progresses you'll forget what happened a few games before. At the end of the season you'll say, "Look who we've got coming in next year! Let's see how this plays out" and the dementia will kick in, and rinse repeat you'll magically forget everything that happened and reboot your brains. Cal has somehow put a spell on you where you have no memory of how he always manages to tank the season.

Good analogy

Kentucky lost a game they shouldn't of lost. When you are up 14 in the second half and up 6 with 3 minutes to go, you have to pull it out if you're Kentucky. You just have to.

I don't care if heading into the game, nobody thought we had a shot. Our guys proved they were the better talent, but poor coaching decisions down the stretch led to the loss (line-ups down the stretch, play calling, you name it). The sad part is I expected us to lose those leads and fall. It's been a common theme under Cal lately.
The team did not have 3 very important post players. They are a team with some starters who have just started playing college basketball. Everybody expected them to lose. They barely lost the game. Their best 3 point shooter missed some big shots down the stretch. The fact that the game was so close is indicative of Cal's ability to motivate his players. This is a very talented team that when healthy will be one of the best in the country. The negative reaction to this loss is typical of the hate Cal brigade. It is ridiculous and silly.

More excuses, we were winning with a decent lead, but Cal can always find a way to lose to good teams.

I was hoping Cal's fire had been reignited and maybe just maybe we would see a renewed Wildcats squad this year. But I can see this is just never going to change. There is tremendous talent and potential on this team. But I am confident Cal will find a way to squander it and suck the joy out of another basketball season. Stupid me.

As predictable as night will follow day is that Cal will loose big games that requires strategic coaching.

He had a great game plan and it worked until we went cold. First half from the 17 minute mark to halftime was pure domination. Something like 45 to 29 points. If Dillingham follows the play right we got into the locker room with a 12 point lead and momentum instead of an 8 point lead and HD jerking himself off to the locker room. We went cold and the number 1 team in the nation with 100% of their squad healthy came back and had to give their all to beat us. Shit like that happens.

The game plan was great and despite what HDs stats were for being 6 inches and 50lbs heavier than anyone on the court, our guys made it hell for Kansas to feed him. I lost track of all the steals and deflections we got. Half of his points came at the foul line or offensive rebounds for garbage points. Mitchell and Thiero did amazing on him all things considered.

Live by the 3 die by the 3 and that's what we needed to win unfortunately going in out manned.

DJs Box Plus Minus(BPM) was -9.8 and he played 25 mins
Edwards BPM was -6.1 and he played 29 mins
Reeds BPM was 31.8 and he played 16 mins
Robs BPM was 29.1 and he played 16 mins (granted foul trouble played a part)

The two highest rated defensive players in the game (because BPM basically is slanted to effectively measure offensive effects on the game)? Reed and Rob.

What's my point? Anyone watching the game could tell you DJ and Edwards were awful. And Cal kept going back to them. It's early, yes. And he's trying to build confidence in freshmen. Win the war and not the battle stuff. But he let DJ and Edwards lose that game and that's why I have basically zero confidence in him in big games.

Kentucky should have won that game last night. I don’t know what set play was called at the end, the helter shelter or the broken weave but it was horrible. Kentucky gave Kansas a present last night. This is the trademark of Cal and has always been that way, he does so many things right but his play calling or lack of in tight games is atrocious.
If you thought that play coming out of the timeout was bad, what did you think of KUs play coming out of the timeout at the end of the game that led to Harris forcing a three as time expired on the shot clock that clanked off the side of the backboard...lol.

In reality, Cal's play call was fine. Reeves should have thrown in to Thiero who was wide open at the top of the key for three. The defense would have then rotated off Reed to Thiero, who would have then swung the ball to an open Reed for a chance to tie the game. Out fifth yr senior screwed it up.

Reactions: RunninRichie
DJs Box Plus Minus(BPM) was -9.8 and he played 25 mins
Edwards BPM was -6.1 and he played 29 mins
Reeds BPM was 31.8 and he played 16 mins
Robs BPM was 29.1 and he played 16 mins (granted foul trouble played a part)

The two highest rated defensive players in the game (because BPM basically is slanted to effectively measure offensive effects on the game)? Reed and Rob.

What's my point? Anyone watching the game could tell you DJ and Edwards were awful. And Cal kept going back to them. It's early, yes. And he's trying to build confidence in freshmen. Win the war and not the battle stuff. But he let DJ and Edwards lose that game and that's why I have basically zero confidence in him in big games.
bUt rEeD mAdE a MiStAke

The team did not have 3 very important post players. They are a team with some starters who have just started playing college basketball. Everybody expected them to lose. They barely lost the game. Their best 3 point shooter missed some big shots down the stretch. The fact that the game was so close is indicative of Cal's ability to motivate his players. This is a very talented team that when healthy will be one of the best in the country. The negative reaction to this loss is typical of the hate Cal brigade. It is ridiculous and silly.
Did Cal do the right thing playing Wagner almost 30 minutes and Sheppard 16? Wonder how many more shots Sheppard would have hit with 14 more minutes, how many steals he would have gotten, not to mention rebounds and assists? Have seen enough of him to know he stacks the stat line and is the one guy that needs to be out there 30 minutes. Even Cal said this the other day and he goes right against what he knew was best for the team and winning.

Did Cal do the right thing playing Wagner almost 30 minutes and Sheppard 16? Wonder how many more shots Sheppard would have hit with 14 more minutes, how many steals he would have gotten, not to mention rebounds and assists? Have seen enough of him to know he stacks the stat line and is the one guy that needs to be out there 30 minutes. Even Cal said this the other day and he goes right against what he knew was best for the team and winning.
He should have played Sheppard a little more. He missed an important shot in the game. He wasn't perfect. Wagner is one of the starters. I think he was trying to give him a chance to settle down and play to his ability level.

If Kansas is the #1 team in the country, then the team Calipari has assembled has a higher ceiling than any team in America. I hope the people weeping like children are embarrassed for how they acted in early November if and when the team reaches that potential.

Fans like OP are moronic & too emotional to understand your sound logic

Wrong questions.

Right questions:

When was the last time KY said they didn’t want Calipari as coach?

When did fans EVER know how to run a basketball program better than UK?

When did any poster here ever sit on the bench as a D1 program with a championship under their belts and COY honors?

Answer: Never.

No credibility. Just babbling

Reactions: nssdigitalchumps
He should have played Sheppard a little more. He missed an important shot in the game. He wasn't perfect. Wagner is one of the starters. I think he was trying to give him a chance to settle down and play to his ability level.
Yes, he put a player over another player that would have given us a better chance to win. Hard to understand why that wouldn't bother anybody. Every game is crucial for a championship, let the struggling players play through their struggles in blow out games.

Reactions: RunninRichie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT