ADVERTISEMENT

For those saying we will not be good next year

JonathanW

All-American
Jan 3, 2003
Who do you give the advantage to (Pope or Cal)?

In game X’s and O’s: Pope
Hunger, passion to win: Pope
Love for Kentucky: I say Pope
Playing style: Pope
Defensive flexibility: Pope
Ability to get top recruits: Cal
Use of transfer Portal: Pope
Support of alumni wrt NIL: Pope (this one is big)

Pope entered the tough B12 last year and tied Self/KU with a winning B12 record, wins over KU and Baylor and Iowa St, winning 24 games. He did this at a school VERY difficult to recruit (non-Mormons) to (the most difficult of any P5 school); without the huge availabile NIL and TV exposure and Brand-name recognition of UK. And there is a transfer portal full of good players available, plus some good ones we could retain. So why again the expectation of a big struggle to win games?

When you buy a stock, for the long term do you want one descending (Cal), at its peak, or ascending (Pope)?

Last edited:
Eho do you give the advantage to (Pope or Cal)?

Love for Kentucky: I say Pope, but some might say even

When you buy a stock, for the long term do you want one descending (Cal), at its peak, or ascending (Pope)?
Very good sensible post. This is something very rare right now.

Agree w most everything. I’d say the support of alumni/NIL is even to slightly Cal if we are doing a head to head Arkansas v Kentucky. Tysons and Walton’s are all in on the cal clown show.

If you’re talking about the last 5 years of UK Cal then yeah, Pope hands down is going to have more support moving forward.

I’m all in. I think our chances of having a tournament run next year have gone from 0% to 40%. I’d define tournament run as an Elite 8.

What more could you ask for as a fan? Cal was going nowhere, Pope is going somewhere.

Cal is cooked, he is lazy, he is outdated, he can’t win postseason games because coaches watch tape for postseason and put a gameplan in place, Cal is lazy and predictable, he doesn’t install backup gameplans so he gets countered in the post season and has no answer for it other than saying, “what’s the worst that can happen, I get fired?”

Pope has fire, ambition, and a love for this place, as well as both big donor and fan support for NIL to make recruiting easier for him. We are in an infinitely better place now than we were when we were in Calipari Purgatory.

I’m all in. I think our chances of having a tournament run next year have gone from 0% to 40%. I’d define tournament run as an Elite 8.

What more could you ask for as a fan? Cal was going nowhere, Pope is going somewhere.

Cal is cooked, he is lazy, he is outdated, he can’t win postseason games because coaches watch tape for postseason and put a gameplan in place, Cal is lazy and predictable, he doesn’t install backup gameplans so he gets countered in the post season and has no answer for it other than saying, “what’s the worst that can happen, I get fired?”

Pope has fire, ambition, and a love for this place, as well as both big donor and fan support for NIL to make recruiting easier for him. We are in an infinitely better place now than we were when we were in Calipari Purgatory.

I think you need to lower your expectations for next season. We have no players. The players we were supposed to have are busy posting chicken emojis and dollar bill signs on their social media right now.

Pope entered the tough B12 last year and tied Self/KU with a winning B12 record, wins over KU and Baylor and Iowa St, winning 24 games. He did this at a school VERY difficult to recruit (non-Mormons) to (the most difficult of any P5 school); without the huge availabile NIL and TV exposure and Brand-name recognition of UK. And there is a transfer portal full of good players available, plus some good ones we could retain. So why again the expectation of a big struggle to win games?

Alot of the Debbie downers are still pissed their hero packed his bags and ran his 1 and done shitshow too Arkansas

I’m going to enjoy the next few seasons more no matter what and that’s all that counts for me.
I honestly quit watching UK basketball after the 2015 flop. I kept up with the teams and enjoyed listening to games while doing work, but I wasn't invested. I couldn't get into a team that had a couple token experienced players that got overshadowed by freshmen that I knew nothing about. It was exciting basketball, but hollow.

We need success to keep fans engaged, but I'm excited to see this next chapter in Kentucky basketball unfold. Cal's system was what we needed in 2009. Pope's system is what we need now to get back on track.

I would disagree with Pope being better at the transfer portal than Cal when Cal was given a $4 to $5 million NIL chest fund to buy players. Money talks in todays sports world. The team who offers the most money will usually get the best players. That is why it is so important for us to donate to the UK NIL. If Cal has the biggest NIL he will get the best players available in the portal. Same for UCONN, UNC, Duke etc. We have to show the country once again what the basketball team means to the people of Kentucky. Take a stand please. This is worth fighting for.

You can name any coach in history at their prime but with 20/20 vision of the modern game and wouldn't be able to hazzard a guess based on the current roster.

Rupp, K, Knight, and Wooden are going 0fer as is today so we will have to see how the picture develops.

I'm not trying to blow sunshine, Pope is not a finished product with a resume we'd not expect but he did have BYU as a 6 seed out of the Big 12 last year so there is no reason to think at least fair to middling is out of reach with good solid players with basketball skills.

I honestly quit watching UK basketball after the 2015 flop. I kept up with the teams and enjoyed listening to games while doing work, but I wasn't invested. I couldn't get into a team that had a couple token experienced players that got overshadowed by freshmen that I knew nothing about. It was exciting basketball, but hollow.

We need success to keep fans engaged, but I'm excited to see this next chapter in Kentucky basketball unfold. Cal's system was what we needed in 2009. Pope's system is what we need now to get back on track.

Agree. I was tired of the double slap in the face............losing AND players leaving. It's just not sustainable and it's no wonder people checked out.

Yeah, don't some of the posts make you wanna reach in the computer and slap an idiot??? Lol
Some of our fan base is embarrassing. I can see why coaches with great jobs at smaller schools wouldn’t want to come here and subject their families to this.

Last edited:
Reactions: JPFisher
I would disagree with Pope being better at the transfer portal than Cal when Cal was given a $4 to $5 million NIL chest fund to buy players. Money talks in todays sports world. The team who offers the most money will usually get the best players. That is why it is so important for us to donate to the UK NIL. If Cal has the biggest NIL he will get the best players available in the portal. Same for UCONN, UNC, Duke etc. We have to show the country once again what the basketball team means to the people of Kentucky. Take a stand please. This is worth fighting for.
My transfer portal comparison was not just ability to recruit out of the portal, but also willingness to do so. Cal seemed to only want 1-2 from there, preferring most new players to be FR.

Define "good". One of my favorite teams in UK history was Pitino's Bombinos and they went 14-14. But they were incredibly fun to watch, and we knew we were building something for the future. Then Mashburn showed up the next season, and it was on for the next 7 glorious seasons.
Speaking of favorite teams/players. I ran into Eric Daniels yesterday at the store. He and that team were one of my favorites and the defensive run they got on halfway through that year was still the greatest run of defense we've seen. Too bad it didnt last through the tourney but man they were good together. And it all came out of nowhere during halftime of a Vandy game like a switch turned on.

Eric was one of the most instinctive players we've every had. Just a step a head reacting on the court from every body else. The perfect glue guy.

Speaking of favorite teams/players. I ran into Eric Daniels yesterday at the store. He and that team were one of my favorites and the defensive run they got on halfway through that year was still the greatest run of defense we've seen. Too bad it didnt last through the tourney but man they were good together. And it all came out of nowhere during halftime of a Vandy game like a switch turned on.

Eric was one of the most instinctive players we've every had. Just a step a head reacting on the court from every body else. The perfect glue guy.
The interior passes he and Chuck Hayes made to each other was a thing of beauty

Even if we don't put together a great roster, the key will be how much the team improves over the course of the season. That's coaching! The other guy failed to do this the last 5 or so years. I refuse to use his name anymore.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Someone said they’re hoping to get NIL up to around $5 to 8,000,000 per year, every year for basketball. If that’s the case, pope will be in pretty good shape. They’ve got $4 Mil + already for 2024-25

very obvious Popes team's score. Get a good defense and a few players (don't need 5 stars)
I am thinking this will be a very competitive team. I hope the players Pope gets will hang around for years. This to me is how you build champion caliber teams. This one and done shit is old and doesn't work. Time to switch gears.

Reactions: JoshAllenFan
Don’t know what the record will be but I’m on board. Rather have pope than cal because at least he can coach and is about wining. Also the portal has democratized roster building somewhat. I think he can get it done.

With sufficient NIL, there is no reason we should settle for less than top talent at Kentucky. I don’t want a bunch of 3 star recruits and transfers and hope we have solid chance in 3 years. I realize one and done wasn’t getting it, but I don’t think we should settle either. And that is where my concern lies.

I just don’t want to settle for lesser talent and hope we’re a contender in three years. Kentucky should draw top talent anyway. Just concerned a bunch of three stars and moderately talented three stars transfers will get old quickly. We don’t have to give up on our expectations.

If the goal is to win championships, generally speaking, you gotta have some NBA dudes. That is just the fact of the matter.

Doesn't matter if they are 4 stars that turn into NBA talent, or are 5 stars that are NBA talent their freshmen yr.

You have to have those, typically blended with some solid, experienced college players.

Without NBA guys, you probably are not winning a championship.

Hoping Pope can still attract/develop that type of player.

Reactions: ganner918
Define "good". One of my favorite teams in UK history was Pitino's Bombinos and they went 14-14. But they were incredibly fun to watch, and we knew we were building something for the future. Then Mashburn showed up the next season, and it was on for the next 7 glorious seasons.
This is what a UK fan says!!!! Bully!!

Look I am optimistic as possible but we don’t have to make things up to feel that optimism

How the hell is pope better at the portal?

Also which game can we point to and show an adjustment he made to determine he’s a better basketball coach? - I think he could be but flat out saying it like it’s a fact is just nonsense based on his resume.
We also don’t know about his hunger to win. Maybe tomorrow will provide that answer.

Can we just start talking basketball honestly. The guy who many of you feel boned your wife and ruined your life is gone. Why do we have to talk nonsense to try to prop our new guy up?

He’s a former champion player that could be a home run hire. Pretending he’s some elite top tier coach that is better in every facet than the prior is just setting him up to not meet expectations.

I just don’t want to settle for lesser talent and hope we’re a contender in three years. Kentucky should draw top talent anyway. Just concerned a bunch of three stars and moderately talented three stars transfers will get old quickly. We don’t have to give up on our expectations.
Just keep in mind “stars” does NOT equate talent NOW. It is a prediction on the future. More often than not, a proven experienced mature skilled player is better than most 5* FR.

Coach Cal is a HOF coach and Pope hasn't won a NCAA tournament game yet. Maybe let's wait and see before we crowd him to be the best coach ever. Bringing up the past 4 seasons doesn't change the fact that Coach Cal is still a HOF coach and brought us #8.

This is a great post.
Agree 100%. The last five or more seasons with Triple C were hell. He’s an arrogant ass. I’m glad he’s gone and optimistic about the future. Mark Pope is a good man, loves Kentucky, and he ‘gets it’. Hoping for the best. GBB.

Reactions: Ugoff and K86
Coach Cal is a HOF coach and Pope hasn't won a NCAA tournament game yet. Maybe let's wait and see before we crowd him to be the best coach ever. Bringing up the past 4 seasons doesn't change the fact that Coach Cal is still a HOF coach and brought us #8.
And I am beyond the moon glad that he is gone. Period.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT