ADVERTISEMENT

For all the crap I've given Stoops

billoliver40

Senior
Dec 16, 2015
Trenton ky
I just wanted to point out last week he held his composure with Westry, and although I got indigestion going into prevent last night, I gotta point out he was one of the few folks anywhere...including announcers...that recognized Franks fumble was a live play.
Probably don't want to mention I thought he'd lost his mind sticking with Wilson.
Or EJ Price earlier this year.
I'm sure I'll get the chance to bitch more later this season, but I'm really pleased what has happened so far.

Amazing how breaking.a 39 year streak (haven't won in Florida since 79) can make a coach smarter.

I've been critical of Stoops too, but you have to give the guy credit for bringing in a higher caliber of athlete and for winning that game. The guy has also shown our team how to go on the road in the SEC and win games at the swamp, South carolina, Mizzou, and others.

I've been critical of Stoops too, but you have to give the guy credit for bringing in a higher caliber of athlete and for winning that game. The guy has also shown our team how to go on the road in the SEC and win games at the swamp, South carolina, Mizzou, and others.
I like our chances in Knoxville this year also. Wouldn't that be something? Beating Florida and Tennessee on the road in the same year.

I just wanted to point out last week he held his composure with Westry, and although I got indigestion going into prevent last night, I gotta point out he was one of the few folks anywhere...including announcers...that recognized Franks fumble was a live play.
Probably don't want to mention I thought he'd lost his mind sticking with Wilson.
I'm sure I'll get the chance to bitch more later this season, but I'm really pleased what has happened so far.

Amazing how breaking.a 39 year streak (haven't won in Florida since 79) can make a coach smarter.
Kudos to you for admitting it. There has been plenty to complain about. I really like the way he has upgraded the coaching staff during his tenure. This "may" be the best balanced team, offensively and defensively, we have had in a long time. Even when we have good football teams, there always seems to be some holes (inability to stop the run, etc) that stunt our growth. It appears this has been built slowly, but the right way. The talent and depth speak to that point. If Wilson continues to develop at QB, this could be a special season.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Look, this is Mark’s first head coaching job. He’s going to make mistakes, but he also inherited a disaster.
This isn’t basketball, where you can land a couple of studs and turn things around quickly.

He took over and started out with OVC caliber talent. No one can argue that he’s improved the quality of talent immensely.

He still drives me crazy sometimes with his insistence on getting conservative with a lead late in games.
It almost burned us again last night.

The bottom line however, is he’s slowly but surely getting us to a level of being relevant in this Conference.
And that’s really all I ask for.

Look, this is Mark’s first head coaching job. He’s going to make mistakes, but he also inherited a disaster.
This isn’t basketball, where you can land a couple of studs and turn things around quickly.

He took over and started out with OVC caliber talent. No one can argue that he’s improved the quality of talent immensely.

He still drives me crazy sometimes with his insistence on getting conservative with a lead late in games.

The bottom line however, is he’s slowly but surely getting us to a level of being relevant in this Conference.

You got that right. As long as he gets us into a position to win in these games, that's all i can ask for. Too many times in the past from years of watching KY football the game was over before the kickoff (so it seemed). At least now, it seems like we have a chance in every game.

Reactions: kev69

Please, don’t think for a second that I’m not happy for Coach Stoops and the Team.... I’m very happy.

My issue has never been about the wins or loses. My issues have always been with how the team played the game. Coach Stoops himself, his ability to learn from the team mistakes. The ability to put a mature team on the field, both in game planning and team preparation. Coach Stoops has shown an aggervating habit of repeadly making the same mistakes - routinely. I hope the team continues its success.

Reactions: kev69

I think a HC is only as good as the assistants around him and now I think he has a staff that he doesn't have to micro manage in every game. Plus he's still growing in his job. Great coaching job Saturday while Fla was getting a 12 men on the field penalty.

31 year streak. Don't make it any worse than it really is. Lol

Stoops deserves a ton of credit for yesterday. The biggest thing he should get credit for is that Kentucky was simply the better team and closed the deal.

Kudos to you for admitting it. There has been plenty to complain about. I really like the way he has upgraded the coaching staff during his tenure. This "may" be the best balanced team, offensively and defensively, we have had in a long time. Even when we have good football teams, there always seems to be some holes (inability to stop the run, etc) that stunt our growth. It appears this has been built slowly, but the right way. The talent and depth speak to that point. If Wilson continues to develop at QB, this could be a special season.

The SEC is a man's league. IOW the LOS is where the game is won or lost and Stoops knows that but it's a three step remedy.

1) Find and develop O-lineman. This is the easiest of the three steps mainly because these body types are the easiest to recruit. The key is to find big guys with good feet that are smart and match them with a coach that is a technician as playing with correct technique on the O-line is what's it's all about. Maturity is essential and O-line development will make inroads in the first 2-3 years.

2) Find and develop big athletic guys that can run, IOW D-linemen. This process takes a little longer as there are fewer of these type guys on the planet so you have to look for particular physical qualities and project. The real key here (if you don't have access to 4 & 5 stars) is to get them in your program, grow them, teach them and in 4 or 5 years you can have enough at a mature enough level to hold your own with most programs.

3) The third and last step is develop pass rushers. Most any rube can see a 5 star player and say that guy is a monster, let's sign him up but there are only so many of these walking around loose and the big boys scoop 'em up. You have to get lucky to find the hidden jewels with pass rush skills, get them to the training table and in the weight room and then you need to have a handful of them to be effective. Any offense can negate one or even two better than average pass rushers but when you can run 3 and 4 out there and rotate others you can take a QB and an offense completely out of their game.

We are 2/3 of the way home.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT