ADVERTISEMENT

Football coach quotes

Glenn's take

All-American
May 20, 2012
2 of my favorites.
Vince Dooley when asked about William & Mary before playing them.
"They have the best long snapper I've ever seen."

Bill Parcells to the trainer after being told his kicker wouldn't be able to play that week.
"I don't need him to play, I just need him to kick."

2 of my favorites.

Bill Parcells to the trainer after being told his kicker wouldn't be able to play that week.
Best was John McKay, early Tampa Bucs. Bucs had a long, long losing streak. After one tough loss McKay was asked: "How about your team's execution?" McKay didn't hesitate: "I think it's a good idea."

Can't remember the exact quote, but when Danny Ford coached Arkansas, the first time they played Alabama they got beat something like 43-3. IIRC his comment after the game went like this:

"They got what they got and we got what we got. Until we get what they got, it ain't ever gonna be any different"

Jerry Glanville yelling at a new ref.... "You know what NFL stands for"? " Not for long, making calls like that".

Reactions: secrules3
Earl Campbell’s coach asked why he never had him condition like the other RB’s and players that ran laps/ miles around the track, and Phillips said” let me know next time it’s 3rd and a mile & then get back in touch “

Honestly I’m most likely way off the exact question and comment but it was around 79 or 80. Some of my first football memories were from that era, which is to say the last time the UGa bulldogs won with Hershel etc. Eagles and Jowarski , Stabler, Montana

Reactions: GGary
Vince Dooley, when asked if "Herschal Walker was in a class by himself"; "Let's just say it doesn't take long to call the row."

2 of my favorites.

The Vince Dooley quote reminds of the 2011 game between Kentucky and South Carolina. The Gamecocks beat the Cats 54 to 3. They had over 600 yards of offense while their defense held Kentucky to less than 100 yards. Cats threw four interceptions and only had four completions. Kentucky's punter Ryan Tydlacka had nine punts for almost 400 yards. A reporter asked Spurrier about the Cats and he said "Kentucky has a heck of a punter, I know that."

Reactions: secrules3
Steve Spurrier, following South Carolina's 54-3 win over the Wildcats, "Kentucky has a heck of a punter"

Bill Parcells, “If they want you to cook the dinner, at least they ought to let you shop for some of the groceries.”

A big lineman showed up to a Bill Parcells camp way over weight and out of shape. He passed out on the field during a hot practice. Parcells told one of the assistants to go sit next to the player, and when that sob wakes up, tell him he's cut.

Reactions: Kat308
John McKay
We didn't tackle well today but we made up for it by not blocking.

Reactions: Kat308
John McKay again
If you have everyone back from a team that lost ten games, the experience factor isn't too important

Also Bum about The Bear:

“he could take his’n and beat your’n, then take your’n and beat his’n.”

Reactions: Rockford
"Individual commitment to a group effort, that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work." - Vince Lombardi

"The greatest lesson you learn from sports is how to lose with grace and dignity, without losing your will to win." - Tom Landry

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT