ADVERTISEMENT

Florida fires their DL and CB coaches

bluecoon1

Senior
Jul 18, 2017
Corey Raymond and Sean Spencer. Raymond was considered their best recruiter and also one of nation’s best, Spencer was responsible for two of their 5* guys from what I can tell. Fans are start to feel their class will fall apart but it’s doubtful. Raymond’s the type of guy who could really help our program but he’ll be one of the hottest commodities in football.

https://www.onlygators.com/11/27/20...s-billy-napier-reorganizes-staff-per-reports/

Napier is going to have a tough sell on keeping that class together after last season.
Outside of a miracle I just don’t see how he survives another season. Looking at their ‘24 schedule there’s a really good chance they’ll have 4-5 losses before we play, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Stoops is coaching against an interim HC.

Reactions: KYExtemper
SEC Schedule dates haven't been set yet, and chances are we will play them within the first 5 weeks like usual.

They got rid of the wrong coaches. How the hell does Napier keep his job?

$31M buyout is how. It's also been said he was promised four years. I'm more interested to see if Napier is forced to hire an OC rather than continue to retain those duties himself. If he is, then the heat is being turned up.

Love for us to hire Raymond as safeties coach and dump that zero Buffano. Can't recruit and his unit was one of the worst on the entire team. Safeties should have been a strength not a weakness.

Agree safeties were a major disappointment assignment wise (mainly one guy) but buffano coached our safeties a while now and they are consistently the deepest most talented group on the team.

Contrast that with Collins who can't consistently reel in or develop CBS. Max is great, Dru is ok, then we have some major drop off. If Robinson is our 3rd or 4th guys, imagine how bad the rest are.

I guess the real question is does Collins deserve more time to develop into the recruiter we thought we hired? How much is stoops involved in the safeties? Is buffano acting more or less as the qa guy he used to be? Because he definitely doesn't seem to impact recruiting.

No matter what, sounds like we need to find room for their db coach

Corey Raymond and Sean Spencer. Raymond was considered their best recruiter and also one of nation’s best, Spencer was responsible for two of their 5* guys from what I can tell. Fans are start to feel their class will fall apart but it’s doubtful. Raymond’s the type of guy who could really help our program but he’ll be one of the hottest commodities in football.

https://www.onlygators.com/11/27/20...s-billy-napier-reorganizes-staff-per-reports/

At one time Raymond was one of the best around. UGA's secondary coach was just hired as Syracuse's new coach. Will shock me if Raymond can get an interview to replace him.

Agree safeties were a major disappointment assignment wise (mainly one guy) but buffano coached our safeties a while now and they are consistently the deepest most talented group on the team.

Contrast that with Collins who can't consistently reel in or develop CBS. Max is great, Dru is ok, then we have some major drop off. If Robinson is our 3rd or 4th guys, imagine how bad the rest are.

I guess the real question is does Collins deserve more time to develop into the recruiter we thought we hired? How much is stoops involved in the safeties? Is buffano acting more or less as the qa guy he used to be? Because he definitely doesn't seem to impact recruiting.

No matter what, sounds like we need to find room for their db coach
FWIW, Collins signed a contract extension last summer. Don't recall if it was for 2 or 3 years. Personally, I have a more of a problem with Buffano than Collins.

FWIW, Collins signed a contract extension last summer. Don't recall if it was for 2 or 3 years. Personally, I have a more of a problem with Buffano than Collins.

I'm definitely not opposed to getting rid of either or both of them. But between the two: which unit is the deepest and most talented? It's clearly safety.

Safety is so deep we had 3 consecutive years of really nice players leaving because they won't see the field. It's really impressive what we've done with that position group the last several years and buffano is a key reason.

Compare that to cb where you have a nice player in hairston, and above average in Dru, and then a long steep drop off.

I'm definitely not opposed to getting rid of either or both of them. But between the two: which unit is the deepest and most talented? It's clearly safety.

Safety is so deep we had 3 consecutive years of really nice players leaving because they won't see the field. It's really impressive what we've done with that position group the last several years and buffano is a key reason.

Compare that to cb where you have a nice player in hairston, and above average in Dru, and then a long steep drop off.
Valid points. UK has several really young guys as CB backups, curious to see how it shakes out.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Napier is going to have a tough sell on keeping that class together after last season.
I don’t think so. They are getting the highly ranked guys that are taking the best NIL bag of money offer. Those guys by A&Ms example don’t come in working hard anyway. That’s why Florida is 6-6 with top 15 classes.

Who are their current recruits?

I know there is a way to find out. Just can’t remember how to look it up

Hard call

1. I thought Max was super last year from out of nowhere…Dre is ok..I think he just a slot CB is his best slot. And you’re right that third cb was terrible. Jordan Robinson, JQ hardaway etc…bad stuff
2. But safety was a disaster. Childress had maybe the worst year a safety had had since stoops first season. Lovett was good first year but falls back last year. We had guys blowing coverage damn near every game in sec play and we trot then right back out

As far as past….I thought valentine improved a ton last year, Keidron smith had a good transfer year , etc. Cedric Dort had a bad final years

I’m struggling to see Buffano stick around if we can Woodard at Wr. It’s almost like Barion played a terrible Wr and never got benched the same Childress played a terrible safety and never got bench…so what is Buffano doing to cosch upnrhe spot?

Hard call

1. I thought Max was super last year from out of nowhere…Dre is ok..I think he just a slot CB is his best slot. And you’re right that third cb was terrible. Jordan Robinson, JQ hardaway etc…bad stuff
2. But safety was a disaster. Childress had maybe the worst year a safety had had since stoops first season. Lovett was good first year but falls back last year. We had guys blowing coverage damn near every game in sec play and we trot then right back out

As far as past….I thought valentine improved a ton last year, Keidron smith had a good transfer year , etc. Cedric Dort had a bad final years

I’m struggling to see Buffano stick around if we can Woodard at Wr. It’s almost like Barion played a terrible Wr and never got benched the same Childress played a terrible safety and never got bench…so what is Buffano doing to cosch upnrhe spot?

Agree about safeties this year but that was basically one guy. The other guys (and even childress the times he didn't blow a coverage) played very well. Plus buffano coached that group for awhile as a qca and they were a strength of the defense for nearly all that time. Somehow, that group always has incredible talented depth.

Maybe thats just coincidence but it sure seems like he has a hand in it. Either way I'm sure we can do better but he isn't the dead weight most people here suggest.

Reactions: K_TIME
Agree about safeties this year but that was basically one guy. The other guys (and even childress the times he didn't blow a coverage) played very well. Plus buffano coached that group for awhile as a qca and they were a strength of the defense for nearly all that time. Somehow, that group always has incredible talented depth.

Maybe thats just coincidence but it sure seems like he has a hand in it. Either way I'm sure we can do better but he isn't the dead weight most people here suggest.
Yeah...there has been good safety play over the years and hammering dudes for a poor year is hard. But the UK defense fell pretty badly from previous years...and if it's not the DL or interior LBer ( I get JJ had a bad year), etc..it has to fall somewhere. And to bring the gang all back and basically we'll have the same D as last year save JJ gone....I'm not sure that is a plausible explanation.

I think Napier would have been fired this year if not for the high buy-out, but that buy-out drops next year from $32 million.

After 2024: Billy Napier’s buyout would be $25,670,000 (85% of 30.2M)

After 2025: Billy Napier’s buyout would be $19,380,000 (85% of 22.8M)

After 2026: Billy Napier’s buyout would be $13,005,000 (85% of 15.3M)

After 2027: Billy Napier’s buyout would be $6,545,000 (85% of 7.7M)

I think Napier would have been fired this year if not for the high buy-out, but that buy-out drops next year from $32 million.

After 2024: Billy Napier’s buyout would be $25,670,000 (85% of 30.2M)

After 2025: Billy Napier’s buyout would be $19,380,000 (85% of 22.8M)

After 2026: Billy Napier’s buyout would be $13,005,000 (85% of 15.3M)

After 2027: Billy Napier’s buyout would be $6,545,000 (85% of 7.7M)

Some of their poster swear he gets 4 years. But he has 2 losing seasons now, 24 includes all 3 of the main Florida schools, UK, both UTs, ATM, OM, UGA and LSU. Of those 10, there isn't a sure win. I don't see them getting to a bowl, I think a serious question is can the get 2 four wins.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT