ADVERTISEMENT

Fixing NIL

billoliver40

Senior
Dec 16, 2015
Trenton ky
One of the few ways to fix NIL and to some extent the transfer portal would to be sign players as employees of the athletic department to 3 year contracts with a 4th year option. Make a salary cap per position and if a team broke that they are prohibited from "hiring" another player.

Yeah, I know. NFL collective bargaining. If we are gonna pattern the game after the NFL we may as well use parts of their revenue/collective bargaining program

The thought of amateur athletics is not only dead, it's nearly fossilized.

Two things:

1. More than 1 year agreements are never going to happen and they shouldn’t.

2. Have the university pay players all you want, it has zero to do with NIL. Players would still be eligible for NIL , so they would be getting a salary and NIL.

That's all coming.

I think the biggest thing is organizing all the logistics of off field stuff...coaching carousel, portal, high school recruiting, etc.

There's just too much going on from about Thanksgiving to Christmas/New Year that I think can be pushed to the offseason post championship.

I mean Alabama had a high school kid at the bowl practices...I mean WTF is going on. I'd be pissed if I were the players. Bowl week isn't the time for freshman orientation.

In general, I think there needs to be some sort of collective bargaining that says everyone who starts the season on the team, finishes. That's staff and player. Essentially, ADs can't fire people, coaches can't bounce, players can't transfer until the off season.

One of the few ways to fix NIL and to some extent the transfer portal would to be sign players as employees of the athletic department to 3 year contracts with a 4th year option. Make a salary cap per position and if a team broke that they are prohibited from "hiring" another player.

Yeah, I know. NFL collective bargaining. If we are gonna pattern the game after the NFL we may as well use parts of their revenue/collective bargaining program

The thought of amateur athletics is not only dead, it's nearly fossilized.

One, there is nothing that needs to be fixed about the NIL. Two, you obviously haven't thought this through. The cost to making these players employees would be astronomical. You're not only talking salaries, you've got add benefits and payroll taxes to that as well. Plus, how does that fit into the existing model, it doesn't.

In order to do something akin to what you're talking about you've got to make it a minor league sport. Once you do that you lose the school affiliation and then viewership and tv revenue decline dramatically, at that point the NFL is going to have to chip in to fund the league and make it financially viable, which the NFL has no incentive to do since right now they get a free minor league system.

That's all coming.

I think the biggest thing is organizing all the logistics of off field stuff...coaching carousel, portal, high school recruiting, etc.

There's just too much going on from about Thanksgiving to Christmas/New Year that I think can be pushed to the offseason post championship.

I mean Alabama had a high school kid at the bowl practices...I mean WTF is going on. I'd be pissed if I were the players. Bowl week isn't the time for freshman orientation.

In general, I think there needs to be some sort of collective bargaining that says everyone who starts the season on the team, finishes. That's staff and player. Essentially, ADs can't fire people, coaches can't bounce, players can't transfer until the off season.
UK had a number of our early enrollees at practice too

“Last year, the NCAA changed a rule allowing signees to start practicing once the nation's letters of intent are in, allowing a handful of players in the 2024 class to start getting college reps.

Cutter Boley, Jason Patterson, and Hardley Gilmore were getting work in with the offense, while Jerod Smith and Brian Robinson were with the defense. Jacob Smith was out with an injury.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT