ADVERTISEMENT

FIT.Y.E.R.O. (Meathead, wellness, fitness, diet, exercise) Thread

The plunge is amazing. I’m not back to daily yet but working there. Impressed @Wodie Sloot gets in daily, most gals I ask if they want to try are like absolutely not!

The feeling post plunge is somewhat euphoric no kidding. It’s definitely a high.

- After reviewing yours and your trainers weekly workout, I adjusted mine to shake things up for the home stretch. Used to start the week with chest and shoulders, but on the new plan yesterday did shoulders and upper back...

...needless to say much more strength in the shoulder press when it doesn't follow heavy incline and flat dumbbell work.

4 sets of shoulder press - 10x75x3. Would have loved to go up to 85 or 90, but no spotter around to help with the start.

- With that in mind, think I'm going to highlight one muscle group every other week, so that it gets sole attention. The other 3 lifting days 2-3 muscle groups are paired.

- Diet is dialed-in with 4 meals from 7a-7p @ 220ish g protein, 110g carbs, 90g fats. Complex carb make up the bulk of that macro with fruits and vegetables - only allowing myself half a sweet tater a day or 2oz rice for simple carbs.

Seems between healthy fats and simple carbs, my body prefers and efficiently processes the healthy fats (makes sense).

- Strictly coffee for pre-workout. 1 cup prior, two after the gym. Dash of heavy whipping cream and honey before the workout for carb spike.

- Second the plunge / sauna benefits. Been religiously hitting them up and the discomfort in my lower left sciatic has noticeably improved. If you're interested in a plunge but not sure it's worth the cost or the treasury department won't allocate funds, highly recommend using your bathtub and bags of ice to at least see if you'll use it.

- Zbiotics is going to get a trial run before the Bahamas this Thurby. No pressure!

I don't know if it Z biotics will help with a real binge but it increased my sleep score 35pts on a 5 drink dinner night compared to a similar night without. Plan for Derby is to just eat some carbs, drink a bunch of water before bed, and crash early af.

-95% recovery. I'm not going to quit drinking you little f*cker. Hank, what helps? Cut off booze earlier? Wine over liquor?
Did you get 95% recovery? That is incredibly good.

If you're bitching because I said I got a 94% recovery or whatever, getting that high consistently takes work and unless I'm really focused on sleep, it isn't something I consistently hit. From my experience, it takes experimenting with one variable at a time to get it right and those variables aren't always immediately obvious. For instance, I have to take a protein shake or PB&J before bed if I've been working out a lot or I will sleep terribly -- presumably because I get hungry in the night.

If you're married and co-sleep --> you've got two people's routines to get in sync, too, which is a delightful conversation to have.

That said, if you're worried about low recovery scores while still getting good sleep, the likeliest culprit is overtraining. I'd make my data available to my trainer (if you aren't already) and see if s/he has any input.

Last edited:
Anyone know where I can get a DEXA scan or water displacement bodyfat percentage testing in Lexington without having to worry about insurance? I looked into it a few years ago and found it to be an unexpected pain in the ass but can't remember the exact reason why.

There's a water test place in Louisville. We've been talking about going up at the end of cut..

I did have 95 last night. First time is ever been that high. Even woke up in the middle of the night.

I know the main culprit. It's booze. Trying a few things to keep from having 30% nights after a few casual cocktails.

Reactions: Hank Camacho
Btw, I don't drink every night.

M/T/Th - Strict off
W/F/Su - 2-4 drinks most of the time.
Sa - 4+

Obviously, rare occasions I'll go hard or drink on an off night. But my actual intake is substantially less than even a few years ago and binge drinking is practically gone.

Just stinks, I can't have 2 drinks without having major issues with sleep.

I will say, drinking while cutting affects you x10.

Last edited:
I know you all don’t want to hear it, and I won’t ever post about it again. Alcohol is literally poison and the only healthy amount is zero. Lots of marketing and social conditioning have you wired to believe it is the ultimate “fun supplement”. It’s all bullshit and a huge waste of money.

Check the out some chapters of “This Naked Mind” for more arguments against, or just enjoy your cocktails and work around it. I don’t say all this to preach at you guys as it seems most of you have it under control, but if anyone reading this thinks they may have a problem, consider me a resource. I struggled with alcohol for a long time, so I have some intense feelings about this.

No more preachy, buzzkill posts from me on the topic. I just wanted to put that out there

I understand that but I legit enjoy the social aspect. A few cocktails, after a hard day, on my patio with a buddy. That's pretty hard to replicate for me. I don't drink and drive, ever. So, I've been the sober guy plenty. I could give up the Saturday night 4+ with relative ease.

Gonna keep tinkering to see what works best. I have a few ideas.

Sugar, preservatives, artificial sweeteners, etc. etc. are all likely eating away my insides. But I do them in moderation.

Not going to sit on a hilltop in Napa on a perfectly clear day, phone notifications turned off, looking at the San Francisco skyline way off in the distance, perfectly relaxed and drink a water. If I die and there’s a heaven, I think that’s where I’ll be with a glass of cab.

Both can be true. Alcohol can be much worse for you than popularly known and also part of the mix for the absolute most fun parts of life. You shouldn't need alcohol to have a good time but most special events are improved with festive drinking.

Another component to longevity and overall health is relief of stress… which laughing, socializing and enjoying a few drinks brings in spades.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Most in here are more attune to their body and system than the average person because they’ve been at this for years/decades, done the research and have weighed the costs, both positive and negative. And as has been mentioned, the social aspect can be as important to your overall health and well-being as the nutritional side of something..

… we all know that eating at home and making your own meals is a hell of a lot healthier than eating out, but that doesn’t mean I’m not gonna enjoy a group dinner with some of my close friends or family simply because the restaurant doesn’t prepare food as clean as I do. It’s factored in and offset by everything else. 90/10 rule. Same goes for booze.

Having said that, the Sunday golden hour cocktail has quickly become my favorite pour of the week. Especially this time of year, choice weather on a patio or around a pool deck as the week comes to an end; yeah I’ll sweat it out Monday through Friday.

That’s weird, maybe they changed policies?

I could’ve sworn when I did it last year they told me “Cool, it’s just OOP.” Sorry for a bad rec. 😬

3.5 weeks into creatine supplementation last night.. and holllllyyy shit.

All lifts took like a 10-20% jump in either weight or reps. 90lb DB shrugs, 200lb incline chest hammer strength machine, 60lb cable flys, 55lb seated dumbbell press.. All of these went up.. some of these I've never hit before. And every single one I felt like I could have probably gone higher.

That was the first day I felt it.. but I hadn't lifted since Friday.. so I'll need to see how legs go tonight.. and I'm also wondering if those 4ish days off were actually the cause of these monstrous gains.. but then again, those last 4 days I was with friends on a vacation, beers and poor sleep all around.. so it's not like I came into yesterdays workout really "on fire".. I actually felt tired and almost didn't go.

Still.. very impressed.. Not a single side-effect yet. This tuff might really be a cheat code.

-95% recovery. I'm not going to quit drinking you little f*cker. Hank, what helps? Cut off booze earlier? Wine over liquor?

I've dabbled in the hangover cure/ability to enjoy drinking, in moderation.

Cutting off booze earlier is a big one. Alcohol content matters. Hydration. Possibly those supplements on Amazon (WaterBoy, Zbiotics, LiquidIV), they seem to work just enough to make them worth while, but none of them are perfect.

I've been inserting a few NA drinks in when I go out.. that seems to really help. If you have, say, a point in the night that you normally can get to.. say it's 0.15 BAC.. those NA beers can help keep that down to maybe a 0.12. And you kind of don't notice it. A few weeks ago, I went with a Bourbon on the rocks, then a NA beer, then a regular beer, over the course of like 2.5 hours. I think that slight change made a huge difference in sleep, hangover, and caloric intake.

Fuuuuuuuuuu 540lb leg press. I think 450lb was my last max. About to start cutting up some lines of creatine in the gym bathroom.

• Haha
Reactions: roguemocha
I quit drinking 11 days ago now. Weight kept creeping up. Finally realizing I'm too old for a nightncap or two.

Amazing how much better I feel every day and frankly I don't miss it. Sleeping like a baby, workouts more intense and have shed 5 pounds, not even changing my diet.

Read quite a bit about alcohol and cortisol. Nightly drinkers, doesn't even matter how much...alcohol changes body composition, sleep habits, body's ability to burn fat.

Going to go on the journey and see where it takes me.

I quit drinking 11 days ago now. Weight kept creeping up. Finally realizing I'm too old for a nightncap or two.

Amazing how much better I feel every day and frankly I don't miss it. Sleeping like a baby, workouts more intense and have shed 5 pounds, not even changing my diet.

Read quite a bit about alcohol and cortisol. Nightly drinkers, doesn't even matter how much...alcohol changes body composition, sleep habits, body's ability to burn fat.

Going to go on the journey and see where it takes me.

This may be my inner alcoholic talking.. but I have no use for the 1-2 drinks a night type of drinking. That's still going to leave me groggy the next day, it's going to cause me to eat something I shouldn't, it's going to cause me to skip on workouts.

So I'd much rather pack it all into one night lol.

But even that I've slowed down on, just can't do it often these days.

I’d love to get down to only being a Friday & Saturday night social drinker. But man, so much easier said than done, especially this time of year. That bourbon on the rocks on the back patio at dusk on a nice summer mid-week night is just chef’s kiss.

Took a physical for life insurance and got the results back. 6 feet 162 lbs, high HDL and low LDL, 118/72, everything either normal or low, not bad. Drinking still insane. Thursday had wine, Friday had martinis, wine, seltzers, blacked out. Last night had mint juleps, tequila, etc etc and got hammered. Slept like ass all 3 nights. Due to various massive life events taking place the last 3 years I ended up coping with the stress with heavy drinking. The last event wrapped up this week but the drinking didn’t 😂. Honestly can’t even imagine how I would feel if I was drinking less and actually sleeping on the weekends. I’m going to TRY but man summer is not the easiest time to slow that shit down especially with our insane social life.

Took a physical for life insurance and got the results back. 6 feet 162 lbs, high HDL and low LDL, 118/72, everything either normal or low, not bad. Drinking still insane. Thursday had wine, Friday had martinis, wine, seltzers, blacked out. Last night had mint juleps, tequila, etc etc and got hammered. Slept like ass all 3 nights. Due to various massive life events taking place the last 3 years I ended up coping with the stress with heavy drinking. The last event wrapped up this week but the drinking didn’t 😂. Honestly can’t even imagine how I would feel if I was drinking less and actually sleeping on the weekends. I’m going to TRY but man summer is not the easiest time to slow that shit down especially with our insane social life.

I'm amazed that you are 6' and only 160lbs if you're even a bit of a social drinker. Not even sure how that's possible lol.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I’ve managed to add virtually zero muscle to my scrawny arms and legs but have countered my skeletal build of a teenage girl with a nice dad bod flabby stomach. It’s a quite impressive feat.

I mean, obviously the vitals and alcohol intake isn't great.. but if you can live that life and still be 160, that's not the worst thing lol. A lot of us can't. I'm 5-11 and 210lbs and while some of that is muscle, a lot of it is a beer gut lol.. and I'd probably be an easy 190 if I cut out alcohol entirely after a month or two.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
I’ve managed to add virtually zero muscle to my scrawny arms and legs but have countered my skeletal build of a teenage girl with a nice dad bod flabby stomach. It’s a quite impressive feat.
The grinch look. It's not a great look but it does take some effort.

I haven't seen 160 since I was 19. 6'1 210 now. Colon surgery, hernia surgery, 2 bouts of cancer, one I am still dealing with, and never dropped below 174 at any point.

Working out while taking chemo requires some patience, and grit. I've never done anything this hard before in my life now at 45. Seeing myself slowly gain back my frame has been gratifying and humbling. Everything is twice as hard and any set back almost takes everything you gained away it feels like. Never respected what I had before. Sure do now. Also never respected how important nutrition goes hand in hand with working out till now. I knew but it seemed I could get away with whatever and still look good. Life changed that but I think I'm better for it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT