ADVERTISEMENT

FIT.Y.E.R.O. (Meathead, wellness, fitness, diet, exercise) Thread

šŸ§

Alright, time to clarify your BP claims.
Plate-loaded, iso-lateral bench press.
Each arm rates at 10# of resistance.
Each side with loaded with (2) 45# plates, 1 25#

Quick math: 20 + 180 + 50 = 250# x 7 reps

Thatā€™s the clarification.

I moved the weight, albeit not with a barbell.

According to some articles, moving the weight, is moving the weight regardless of the mechanics. I use this bench to save my injured shoulder and assure symmetrical work to each side. If you disagree, then great. I didnā€™t intend to misrepresent anything. I must be weak then.

But to say it was ā€˜outright bullshitā€™, or get questioned like itā€™s Guantanamo, then I kindly disagree with you as this discussion certainly isnā€™t a competition.

There are dudes that I see daily that would put everyone in this thread (except Pretzel) to shame - so whatā€™s the point? Do better than yesterday is allā€¦

I never and will not ever be a boastful dude (except for my cooking & espresso exploits)ā€¦ so fire away. I donā€™t care. My original post was in the vein of being proud of myself from where I started (kinda the intent of this entire thread, no?).

So, I continue on a slow path to somewhereā€¦ but better than doing nothing like I did for 30 years.

Under 30.

Ha, I'll tell you the same thing I tell the 20 year olds in the sauna.

Do it now, it ain't gonna get any easier when you're older, and you're only going to have more responsibilities. Dropping weight is easy when youre under 30 (and presumably single without a kid?).. it's a whole different ball game when you're in the mid to late 30s..

Ha, I'll tell you the same thing I tell the 20 year olds in the sauna.

Do it now, it ain't gonna get any easier when you're older, and you're only going to have more responsibilities. Dropping weight is easy when youre under 30 (and presumably single without a kid?).. it's a whole different ball game when you're in the mid to late 30s..
That's why im doing it now. Easier to get on the ball now, than let it snowball further and before you know it. Two kids, wife, etc etc.

Yeah that's the other thing.. maintaining is good. Maintaining is actually a perfectly reasonable game plan. It sucks to workout and diet, and NOT lose weight/gain physique. but you ARE accomplishing something by maintaining weight and holding steady. I'd much rather do that, then fall off the wagon and have to then LOSE 10lbs just to get BACK to where I was maintaining.

Plate-loaded, iso-lateral bench press.
Each arm rates at 10# of resistance.
Each side with loaded with (2) 45# plates, 1 25#

Quick math: 20 + 180 + 50 = 250# x 7 reps

Thatā€™s the clarification.

I moved the weight, albeit not with a barbell.

According to some articles, moving the weight, is moving the weight regardless of the mechanics. I use this bench to save my injured shoulder and assure symmetrical work to each side. If you disagree, then great. I didnā€™t intend to misrepresent anything. I must be weak then.

But to say it was ā€˜outright bullshitā€™, or get questioned like itā€™s Guantanamo, then I kindly disagree with you as this discussion certainly isnā€™t a competition.

There are dudes that I see daily that would put everyone in this thread (except Pretzel) to shame - so whatā€™s the point? Do better than yesterday is allā€¦

I never and will not ever be a boastful dude (except for my cooking & espresso exploits)ā€¦ so fire away. I donā€™t care. My original post was in the vein of being proud of myself from where I started (kinda the intent of this entire thread, no?).

So, I continue on a slow path to somewhereā€¦ but better than doing nothing like I did for 30 years.
As I said, it's good work, but when I asked if it was barbell bench you confirmed it was. When in fact, it was not, it was a machine. I was cool to let it lie. Then today double down on the "doubters." So, if we're gonna do that, we need to set the record straight.

Couldn't be happier that you've been bit by the bug. It's the best thing that could happen to us old dudes. Just don't give up creatine.

Who the hell was laughing at your post? Go back and read my initial response, I noted how guys bust each others chops about how much weight they can toss around all the time...

...no reason to gussy up that weight Kook, it's impressive on its own. But hammer strength and machines do not translate to compound free weight movements.

I can leg press 1,000 lbs. on the sled, but 315 barbell back squat is a chore to get 6 with proper ROM. And I got called out for flossing the sled weight by the same guy who is holding you accountable. Didn't piss me off, just made me concentrate on free weight squat more. I'm sure the onset lower sciatic pain is just a coincidence :cool:

Glad you're seeing improvements in the physique. Definitely don't jettison protein and creatine, those aren't adding bad weight and needed with these heavy lifts you're doing.

Reactions: Kooky Kats
In the spirit of this thread, I will hop on the barbell bench and shred my shoulder in attempt to translate the difference/conversion between the two.

Wish me luck!

• Haha
Reactions: roguemocha
Losing weight at 30 was as easy as staying in one night on a weekend and dropping back down a pound and a half. Now, If I even slip up and have a few beers, that sets me back for a month.
My God is this true. In February, I completely cut out alcohol for the first time since pre COVID and felt great. A couple of weeks ago my buddy had us all out to his cabin on a lake and it was a predictable shitshow.

I was kind of shocked at how shitty I felt for days after. Made falling into back habits like cracking a beer on a weekend out of boredom, etc, way too easy.

I'm not sure if alcohol just hurts more when you age or if it has always been a lame drug.

Last edited:
Reactions: roguemocha
My God is this true. In February, I completely cut out alcohol for the first time since pre COVID and felt great. A couple of weeks ago my buddy had us all out to his cabin on a lake and it was a predictable shitshow.

I was kind of shocked at how shitty I felt for days after. Made falling into back habits like cracking a beer on a weekend out of boredom, etc, way too easy.

I'm not sure if alcohol just hurts more when you age or if it has always been a lame drug.

Oh it does for sure. I definitely need more recovery after a night out with friends. It's really not a good habit haha.

I actually ordered some Nootropic/adaptagen type drinks from Amazon earlier today. Figure they'd he good to try and have no hangover. My problem is I simply love the social aspect of getting drinks out with friends. But thankfully there are a ton of good NA options out there, especially at bars.

If I'm out, I just grab a club soda with lime. Looks and tastes like a cocktail, always available, and usually free.

I donā€™t hardly ever drink beer anymore. Too heavy, too much bloating, etc., and it is terrible for T levels in men.

But Guinness is still my favorite from when I did regularly consume beer, will always have a soft spot for it. Been wanting to try the NA version for a while, have heard positive feedback. The empty calories just arenā€™t worth it right now during cutting season, though.

-I just don't have that in me. My overall alcohol consumption is probably 30-40% of what it was 5 years ago with binge efforts very rare. I'd still like to drop about half of what I consume but that's gonna be more difficult.

-There's a few cheaper programs out there but that kinstretch program has been really good for my hips and low back. Cheaper than yoga or therapy if your issues are mild or sporadic. I do it 3-4 times a week. Less than 20 minutes most of the time and typically followed by sauna/plunge.

My sleep scores on my whoop are off the charts when I go multiple weeks without drinking. I notice it messes with my sleep and recovery for a week or more just tying it one on a Saturday. Going forward, I will probably only drink with friends on special occasions or have a single cocktail at business events, if that. Once you stop for a bit, you see how wide ranging the effects really are.

Matt Jones said today he's taking off the entire summer from his radio show and going to Europe or something. I'm thinking of doing something similar on a smaller scale. In April, I have the most important month of my career that will spill until mid May around my birthday. It will be all I can do to maintain a reasonable fitness routine. I will mainly do it to maintain sanity.

Anyone got any ideas for a wellness retreat or some really nice outdoor location you can go to for a couple of weeks or so that has great fitness facilities, meals, etc?

You have a major trial next month, I assume?

Wish I had a rec on a wellness retreat, but Iā€™ve never been on one. Iā€™m interested in doing so myself sometime, though, so interested to see if anyone has some solid ones.

On the drinking (or lack thereof), drastically improved sleep is my favorite part of dry spells, followed closely by productivity just being through the roof.

Reactions: Hank Camacho
Alcohol has always been a shitty drug for health concerns but itā€™s definitely fun as hell.

Iā€™ve been able to eat so much more and gain muscle not drinking the last oh idk 3 months and 7 days Iā€™d guess. I was planning on a major cut for the summer but itā€™s not going to have to be but #5-10 Iā€™d say which shouldnā€™t be a problem with cutting down from 4K+ cals a day.

Have a 90 day summer cut starting the 8th so decided to transition the routine with a deload week -> reduced volume by cutting 1 set off each lift and 50% less intensity than my max weight last program.

Read a bunch of different ways to approach a deload, anyone ran a different variation or incorporate more frequently in their programming?

So, I figure this thread has been going long enough at this point to open this door.

For the cut I'll be running Ipamorelin and MOTS-c, with the later only 4 weeks. IPA - 300mg, 5 on / 2 off. MOTS-c - 1ml 1x per week. BPC-157 as needed.

Had great success with Ipamorelin/Sermorelin blend last summer, but have read IPA with CJC or MOTS-c is a better stack. We'll see.

Yeah. Never really was a drinker, I drank socially. Never needed a drink at home. I went to an outdoor wedding in the fall of 2020. First big family event since Covid and got very drunk. The hangover crushed any desire to have a drink. Iā€™ll have a beer at a happy hour but thatā€™s it.

It is kind of weird that people can workout 12 hours a week, weigh their food, pay for trainers, dose up with supplements and have a lot of discipline towards their diet and exercise but canā€™t cut out something that is known to really be harmful.

That's the point I was making, thanks for articulating it.

The benefit you will get from simply not drinkng greatly outweighs everything else.

It's been noted by many in here that drinking is done in extreme moderation. No drinks during the work week, and unless there's an occasion, 1 or 2 cocktails total per weekend, with plenty of weekends dry.

My point is even in moderation, not to talk chit. Do it and you'll see.

That's the point I was making, thanks for articulating it.

The benefit you will get from simply not drinkng greatly outweighs everything else.

My point is even in moderation, not to talk chit. Do it and you'll see.
We all know this already boss.

Had a weird experience this week. Took Redcon1's Pump preworkout, a non-stim preworkout designed for vasodilation.

Within 30 minutes, started feeling some tightening in the left side of my chest and a bit into my shoulder. I was worried at first, but I had no other symptoms of a heart attack or anything. Just tightness, discomfort. COuld have been mistaken for a slightly pulled muscle or strain.. but it seemed to have come out of nowhere, and just about 20-30 min after I took the preworkout. Lasted for about 4 hours, and then died down, and by the time I woke up the next day, it was gone.

There's very select few of people whole experienced something similar on reviews.

Anyone experience something like this? Anyone know what it might be? I'm assuming something in that workout that maybe altered my blood vessels, and that might have caused the issue. I did work out chest two days prior.. But the right side of my chest and shoulder had no DOMS.. so I'm not thinking it was simply just soreness.

Iā€™ve gotten pretty much completely trashed the last 100 weekends of my life. Heavily drinking Friday and Saturday night. Not every single one, but lots of them. Me and my wife are very social and drinking is part of it. Itā€™s fine, itā€™s what I do. Not too worried about it.

Iā€™ve gotten pretty much completely trashed the last 100 weekends of my life. Heavily drinking Friday and Saturday night. Not every single one, but lots of them. Me and my wife are very social and drinking is part of it. Itā€™s fine, itā€™s what I do. Not too worried about it.

Everyone has their vices, and things they use to kick back and relax. I'd rather be a little off of my ideal "physique" and still enjoy life, than be 10-15lbs lighter and be miserable.

Just have to find the ways to dial it back. When covid hit and I was WFH, it was sooooo easy to start happy hour at 3. And that can (and did) spiral quite easily for me. Sometimes it would turn into 4 or 5 day benders.. that's the stuff you have to keep in check.

I've been enjoying a lot of the NA beers and mocktails. On a night I'm meeting up with my friends, I'll just stick to those fot one who evening and not ruin the next day.

I'm pretty sure the *WORST* way to encourage people to reduce drinking is to start hectoring them about abstinence.

Does @SDC888 go around telling high school kids who just got hand jobs about how they need to consider full abstinence, too? Take a chill pill, broski.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the *WORST* way to encourage people to reduce drinking is to start hectoring them about abstinence.

Does @SDC888 go around telling high school kids who just got hand jobs about how they need to consider full abstinence, too? Take a chill pill, broski.

You abstain, but not for good... but more than just temporarily like a few weeks/months.

Then, when you go back to it, you are much less dependent on it and the desire is greatly diminished. Try it and you'll see.

And I'm not here to persuade. That's not my style, counselor.

Ha. Slipping into full blown alcoholism, day drinking on zoom calls at 3pm on weekdays, is in fact bad. Regardless of its impact on your physique.

Sure, wine, beer, cigars, etc. are probably bad for me. But kicking back with friends and relaxing, is good for me.

Well that's why I mentioned it. It's easier than most people think to let something like that slowly take over. If you're not careful, 2 drinks on a Friday can turn into 4, and then 6, and then beyond.

The missus and I hit it up Trader Joe's over the weekend for meal prep. So far, it has been fantastic for two DINKs who are sort of over spending all day on Saturday air frying protein and divvying it up into tupperware. I'm particularly excited about jicama wrap tacos.

Getting meal prep ideas from Trader Joe's is more difficult than other stores, it seems. Anyone got a good resource for ideas for healthy eating from Trader Joe's. The youtubers / bloggers posting about TJs are way too earthy crunchy for my blood. In this house, Dr. Chris Kolb is bad word.

Last edited:
Anyone got any ideas for a wellness retreat or some really nice outdoor location you can go to for a couple of weeks or so that has great fitness facilities, meals, etc?

Was trailing in Sedona 2 weeks ago and although I didn't partake, there were some places that did just that....hikes combined with pilates/yoga stuff and planned meals over the course of 3 or 5 day sessions. Generally the nicer resorts/spas will incorporate this as well.

Reactions: Hank Camacho
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT