ADVERTISEMENT

First time tapping maple trees , seems easy .

ManitouDan

All-American
Dec 7, 2006
Ordered the taps off amazon at 28 bucks . Gonna have 4 taps with buckets , they say days like today where its cold in the AM and warms up into the 50's are days where the stuff really flows .

05-E1-B726-56-B0-42-D3-88-C6-36-CDFD3-BFD91.jpg

@ManitouDan : Happy to see discussion here.

Maple syrup production in KY seriously began during WW2 when sugar rationing was implemented. Production slowly evolved over the years into a cottage industry. Season is limited, but returns are growing. UK College of Agriculture took lead SME several years ago. Couple producers around. I researched the subject extensively because my cousin and his son own several acres land with maple trees.

Good luck.

Co worker did this a couple of weeks ago. Brought some in. Surprising it tasted really sweet. The clear color was strange. Expected the color to be brown like store bought. In Addition I watch a episode of this on Tim Farmers Kitchen. Pretty cool.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Good luck, there is a fairly good sized maple syrup farm in Lawrence county from what I saw on TV and there is one in Knott or Perry county I think it was. WYMT did a feature on their operations.

You may need more taps though, I think it takes about 40 gallons of sap to make one gallon of syrup.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Not surprised it seems easy, so was tapping your Mom.

Just kidding... Kind of disappointed no one had posted that yet...

• Haha
Reactions: BCD
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT