ADVERTISEMENT

First Take discussed Cal and UK

sosoblue

Senior
Aug 18, 2004
Anyone watched First Take this morning? A lot of banter about Cal. How he has lost himself, not the same Cal from his Memphis and UMass day's, haven't adjusted to the transfer portal, need to recruit tough guys and go back to being old Cal and not this nice guy he seems to be now. They also said he doesn't deserve to lose his job etc...

Anyone watched First Take this morning? A lot of banter about Cal. How he has lost himself, not the same Cal from his Memphis and UMass day's, haven't adjusted to the transfer portal, need to recruit tough guys and go back to being old Cal and not this nice guy he seems to be now. They also said he doesn't deserve to lose his job etc...
If he is unwilling to change then he deserves to lose his job.

Last edited:
The Cal we’ve seen the last 4 years is who he is now. The Cal that came here in 09 is long gone, don’t expect him back. Anyone thinking he can change is setting themselves up for disappointment. Rip the bandaid off and move on. He doesn’t deserve any more chances here.

The Cal we’ve seen the last 4 years is who he is now. The Cal that came here in 09 is long gone, don’t expect him back. Anyone thinking he can change is setting themselves up for disappointment. Rip the bandaid off and move on. He doesn’t deserve any more chances here.
Been waiting for 3 years. That Cal died. I've mourned. I'm ready to move on.

That Cal Died in 2015. Bo Ryan killed him and he hasn’t recovered. Our program has went downhill since that game. It was a looonngg time ago. It’s way past time for this Cal to lose his job.

Been waiting for 3 years. That Cal died. I've mourned. I'm ready to move on.
After the 9-16 season I thought he had three years to make changes and get back to the FF and winning. He changed the staff, he brought different players in, and nothing to show for it. If you gave 2010 Cal this team, oh boy we’d be going places. Instead we got this old washed up guy on the sidelines.

I saw it as well. Stephen A said he's more worried about being a nice guy than winning and he'd like to see him get back to the old Cal that would slit your throat to win. I don't see that ever happening again as he's fat and happy. He needs to go but he won't so the choice is either to watch it or check out til' he's gone.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
After the 9-16 season I thought he had three years to make changes and get back to the FF and winning. He changed the staff, he brought different players in, and nothing to show for it. If you gave 2010 Cal this team, oh boy we’d be going places. Instead we got this old washed up guy on the sidelines.
This. That 9-16 was a warning shot, but I was like, ok, crap happens. He's had time to fix it. He won't. Fire his ass.

If he is unwilling to change then he deserves to lose his job.
Can he change now? It’s already guaranteed half the roster next year will be freshmen. And you can bet those guys aren’t going to be riding the pine.

I saw it as well. Stephen A said he's more worried about being a nice guy thnt winning and he'd like to see him get back to the old Cal that would slit your throat to win. I don't see that ever happening again as he's fat and happy. He needs to go but he won't so the choice is either to watch it or check out til' he's gone.
I don't think Cal has a problem with not being a nice guy, I think he has a problem with how much work he'd have to do to make it happen - and of course, he'd actually have to want to do it

neither are going to happen

Reactions: NociHTTP
If winning one ncaa game in 5 years at freaking Kentucky is not deserving of losing your job then you’re not Kentucky anymore. Maybe the national media like it that way and are vouching for him to stay. Calipari is not Kentucky basketball and we won’t get it back until he is gone.

its not disgruntled basketball Bennies banging on him today. Its the national media and they are piling on

Do you think Cal cares what anyone says? To him it’s all noise from ignorant basketball Bennies.

cal-bigbluebud.gif

It boils down to this. Calipari teams are not physical like they were in his successful days!

I disagree, he does deserve to lose his job, the man has made one decent run since 2015 team, and in my opinion he lost the 2015 game with his inability to coach in game time situations. Unfortunately Cal will not walk away without that 30 million dollar buy out.

Spot on!!!

I would advise Calipari not to go on social media

its not disgruntled basketball Bennies banging on him today. Its the national media and they are piling on
Which is good if UK decides to part ways. If you get rid of him and the media crucifies you saying he doesn't deserve to be canned it can be hard to overcome. If they are all in agreement you aren't the bad guy for letting him go.

Reactions: TankedCat
Spot on!!!
I think what some people are saying is it doesn't matter if you had 2010 or 2024 Cal - because this approach to basketball will not work. You cannot take a team of freshmen and have them face teams put together of veteran transfer portal players and win. Once the One and Done talent pool was divided up among multiple teams and not Kentucky, and now that you can put together a monster team if you throw a couple of million at the transfer portal, its not about coach acumen, its about coaching approach.

Cal had arguably the greatest collection of talent ever in college basketball and while close, still could not win a title, and the program has been in an uneven decline since.

Its also important to note that coaching has seen an exodus of coaches who realized the game isn't the same and they don't want to fight it. We all thought that 2010 Cal the innovator to coaching would capitalize on this disruption in the game, instead he's pushing trying to compete on a now 15 year old approach that doesn't address modern basketball. Last night he said he didn't think he'd even need to hit the portal and just ride with his freshmen

think about that.

John Higgins killed him.

Twice.
I agree. The 2017 hose job and the revenge for us going after Roofer Pooper in 2019 (9 minutes f fouling immunity for Auburn to only get us to OT) really did Cal in

• Angry
Reactions: UKUGA
Do you think Erin C is off work today taking on all the national media defending Cal?

What changes could a returning Cal make that would make another year for the program better? He has now tried going back to a mostly high rated freshmen team. Same results as last 4 or 5 previous years. It has not been the teams. The problem is he cannot coach anymore. And there no changing that.

Reactions: Fox2monk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT