ADVERTISEMENT

First road trip report to to Ole Miss

ManitouDan

All-American
Dec 7, 2006
Haven't visited many away venues in football ( lots in hoops) thought I'd drop a few lines about my experience .. we paid 35 bucks to park at a. local community college and shuttle in .. Shuttles were mainly executive type buses and running as fast as they can load/unload humans . headed into the famous Grove area about 930 .. its was like cattle in a hauler . We were looking for a group of friends and got stuck in the middle with basically very little movement of people . Frustrating .. no one going anywhere quick for 10-15 minutes to cover 100 yards . The 11am kickoff just ruined the tailgating experience , found our friends , visited for 30 minutes and headed for the stadium . Everyone was pleasant at this point ( lol ) .
Getting int was OK for us but some fans who waited in line to get thru the gate were being turned away for being at the wrong gate -- after waiting in line . Personally my E tic didnt have a entry gate , we just got lucky . The stadium is pretty small , not a bad seat in the house , we were seated behind Ole miss band in the Ky section beside the Ole miss student section ( bad setup by Ole Miss ) ? One thing that sucked was the graphics on replays by the home team . Like they had 1 camera angle and if the replay might hurt the home team -- you aint seeing it . Period . From any camera angle . I did like the music for the most part , just the basics .. Ac/dc , Aerosmith Garth with some hip hop for the youngin's
Things did a little dicey at the end , 2-3 water bottles thrown into our section , lots of FU's and double birds flying . And had 1 tall drunk young Ole Miss fan ride/ curse us over and over and over and over even though we said nothing back for quite a while . Saw him get set straight as we walked towards our shuttle pickup , he was patting a UK fan on the back .
The in house ETOH buying was OK I guess.. I was going to pick up a couple before going in and find out .. Oh you cant buy beer without a wristband to be picked up at a different location than the beer booth :( ....and the wrist band place had a healthy long line .
All in all OK .. was a bit disappointed with the Grove . its cool but mass humanity .. the walkways are very tight and its shoulder to shoulder . . Tons and tons of blue there .. we filled 4 sections , 2 in each corner , but there was no cheering together .. we couldn't hear them and they couldn't hear us .
2 lane road in from the east isnt exactly fun . Long ass line of cars going in and out after the game towards KY .
Just sick after the game . Sick . Beyond disappointed , UK Wildcats in the Top 5 in football ? Nation news be shining on us . Ugh .

Was there too Dan and in same section L-36. We also felt rushed with the early kickoff and didn’t have time to explore like we wanted but it was nice. Same opinion of the grove, nice really just a bunch of cramped together tents is a big trees area. stadium okay, kind of cramped in upper concourse. Kentucky folks loud and proud. Had a couple of UM folks say man you guys travel.

Crowd was loud. never encountered 1 incident of “mouthing off” from fans the whole time except one guy that gave us a sarcastic “thanks for coming” as we walked out. To which I responded shut up punk cause I wasn’t in the mood, long walk back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT