ADVERTISEMENT

First meeting: Iowa vs. Kentucky in Citrus Bowl

Nov 8, 2001
I enjoy visiting with different fan bases about College Football. In my early days, the Bluebloods were king!

I have been a College Football fan, since 1971, when my grandfather, who was born just ahead of Henry Fonda in Grand Island, Nebraska, would set up his multiple TVs at their home for us to watch football games around the Thanksgiving and New Year's holidays in my hometown of Cedar Rapids, up the road from the U of I.

I say 1971, since I attended my first college football game out in Indiana that year in West Lafayette.

My grandfather died in 1975, so we didn't enjoy any seasons of note involving Iowa.

Nebraska was the program he introduced me to, with Bob Devaney and the Game of the Century.

Other relatives would introduce me to Bo at Michigan and Woody at Ohio State. Of course, there was Bear Bryant, John Robinson and Joe Paterno among other names who influenced me in my early days College Football.

I was a huge Sam Bam Cunningham fan, who had an influence on SEC football, as many of you may already know.

Back in 1971, you didn't see Iowa or Kentucky, as I recall, in the TV games. The marquee games:
  • Nebraska v Oklahoma
  • Texas v Arkansas
  • Michigan v Ohio State
  • USC v Notre Dame
The Bluebood era in my book closed out back in 2014, when Ohio State won their first and only College Football Playoff title. Many would like to think otherwise, when it comes to bluebloods. Clemson, for example, I never have considered a blueblood. Alabama, most certainly.

Iowa and Kentucky have become Top 25 programs over the past 3-4 seasons.
Recruiting too, is now trending for each program heading into 2022.

Iowa is looking to finish in the Top 25 for their fourth straight season. The Hawkeyes finished 2019 at 10-3 and sit with the same mark heading into the Citrus Bowl match up with 9-3 Kentucky.

Both have won 3 straight bowl games. Kirk Ferentz has done it twice. Both opened 2021 with six straight wins.

Iowa lost back to back B1G games this season. Kentucky had a three game slide in SEC play, but has won three straight heading into bowl season!

This should be an interesting match up, with Kirk Ferentz and Mark Stoops facing one another for the first time.

Ferentz is 1-2 against Mark's brothers. He is 0-1 against Bob Stoops, ten years ago in the Insight Bowl in Arizona.

It ended the last three game bowl winning streak for Iowa. As a Hawkeye fan, one hopes for a good game, an opportunity to pull another win off to kickoff 2022 in grand fashion.

The margin for error for Iowa has been thin, all season, but 10 wins has been a success. Kentucky was 7.5 wins for 2021, so a 9-3 season is a success.

Obviously, the goal is more, as fans. At 6-0, we can just imagine what some fans were dreaming or hoping for, but ultimately, the four teams in this year's College Football Playoff appear to be the four right choices for 2021-22.

The Citrus Bowl faces the 2005 champion #15 Iowa against the 2019 champion #22 Kentucky, as the Wildcats are favored by roughly a FG.

Both wins came down to the last play. A long pass play for Iowa. A fumble recovery for Kentucky.

This should be a good game on January 1st. Iowa or Kentucky are capable. Kentucky has a better offense and a Top 25 defense. The Hawkeyes are lead by field position, strong special teams and a defense that has lead the nation in most interceptions, since 2017.

10 different players logged interceptions for Iowa in 2021.

• Field position, Iowa's best unit is special teams, with an outstanding PK Caleb Shudak, Australian punter Tory Taylor, Charlie Jones on returns, coverage units, and Iowa has blocked a FG and scored on a block punt on path to win games this season
  • Explosive plays are down, but formula is to keep opponent to less than 2 +25 plays a game, under DC Phil Parker's analytics
  • Iowa must win the turnover margin game +2 has been mentioned here
  • Mississippi State bowl win, Minnesota and Iowa State wins come to mind when thinking about how Iowa might have to play this one
  • Iowa has to find some Explosive Plays themselves
  • Tackling is always important, as PJ Fleck often shares
189 yards is a rush total, Iowa gave up in a 27-22 win this season. Kentucky likely wins with such an output?

Iowa was minus 4 in 27-22 win over Mississippi State in 2019 Outback Bowl?

Iowa doesn't have much margin of error, but they do have bowl prep and one final game of 60 minutes.

Should be fun. Merry Christmas to everyone. And, if traveling to Orlando. Have a safe trip.

that’s an awesome post, dude

thank you for taking the time to add that level of detail

i LIKE Iowa football quite a bit and believe this will be a fun and close game

something like 27-21 maybe

good luck to you guys - here’s to no injuries and lots of positive fan interaction...hard to see the fans NOT getting on with one another

i raise my bourbon (woodford reserve) to ya!

I have been a College Football fan, since 1971, when my grandfather, who was born just ahead of Henry Fonda in Grand Island, Nebraska, would set up his multiple TVs at their home for us to watch football
Wow.

Nice bio and breakdown.

Is that a photo of Mark Stoops with hair?

Reactions: CastleRubric
Good to see Bob Stoops can still hang with Jay Norvell or vice versa after Stoops fired Norvell at Oklahoma as his Offensive Coordinator only a few years before the pic. On former Hawk firing another former Hawk.

Very solid post, but I promise you the 2019 game vs. Penn State didn’t come down to a fumble nor the last play. If anyone besides Mark Stoops took over as head coach at the start of the fourth quarter, we would have won 41-7.

• Haha
Reactions: cidsports
Good to see Bob Stoops can still hang with Jay Norvell or vice versa after Stoops fired Norvell at Oklahoma as his Offensive Coordinator only a few years before the pic. On former Hawk firing another former Hawk.

It is a business. Their relationship to Iowa Football is family.

Looking at Nevada style of play. Looking at Oklahoma or Iowa styles of play, I kind of see Jay Norvell geared to a different style of play, then what Bob Stoops wanted as HC.

BTW, look who replaced Bob Stoops.

In business, I do think professionals often can separate personal from business.

Reactions: CastleRubric
Very solid post, but I promise you the 2019 game vs. Penn State didn’t come down to a fumble nor the last play. If anyone besides Mark Stoops took over as head coach at the start of the fourth quarter, we would have won 41-7.

Penn State scored 17 points in 4th quarter. In their last critical drive, they fumbled the ball.

I leave this play for what it was.

Reactions: JasonRDunn
And in their “last critical drive” they chose to kick a field goal instead of going for it. Iowa alum Stoops almost single handily cost us the game by going into B1G Stoops mode.

But cid seems to be one of these guys that has his own version on things-- even if nobody else agrees with him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT