ADVERTISEMENT

First Album/8-Track/Cassette/CD you bought with your own money.

funKYcat75

All-American
Apr 10, 2008
Free Mash
First cassette was either Licensed to Ill or Cloud Nine by George Harrison.

First CD was The Incredible Base by Rob Base.

Record Bar in Turfland Mall (RIP) was the place to be.

Too young and/or not hipster enough to have bought any vinyl or 8-tracks.

First 8-track:

220px-BostonBoston.jpg

First CD:

220px-Huey_Lewis_and_the_News_-_Sports.png

Can't remember first cassette purchase.

First cassette: Licensed to Ill. I think I bought it on vacation in Tennessee, but I don't remember.
First CDs: MC Hammer's Please Hammer Don't Hurt 'Em and Metallica's Black Album, both in the fall of '91 from the local K-Mart.

Too young for 8-tracks. No idea what my first record was, but the oldest ones I still have are all five Gremlins movie records from Hardee's.

Last edited:
First album was probably either Elton John's greatest hits vol. 1 or Three Dog Night Captured Live at the Forum.

First cd I remember getting was Kriss Kross - totally krossed out. Don’t remember if I paid for it or not. I was in 4th grade. I do remember cashing my first paycheck from foodland and buying the 1999 Grammy Rap Nominees cd and driving around Owensboro blaring ‘Rosa parks’ by OutKast in my crappy truck

Reactions: funKYcat75
First tape, Belinda Carlisle - Heaven on Earth. Not proud of it.
The GoGo's had a few decent songs.

I saw her on the tour of her only solo album that I know in White Plains, NY. The chick I went with was hot and she liked her and Paul Carrack (Squeeze) was supposed to open up so there was that. She was a couple levels below meh, Paul Carrack canceled and I had to sit through Gilbert Gottfried and I didn't get laid. All in all, not one of my best nights.

Edit: BTW, for those of you that don't know what an 8-track was, it was what they gave you to learn patience. A 12 song album would be split into 4 3 song "albums". If you wanted to hear song 6, you could skip ahead to song 4 but you had to listen to 4 and 5 to hear 6.

Last edited:
The first cd I got was MC Hammer’s 2 Legit 2 Quit.

The first ones I bought with my own money were Nirvana’s Nevermind and Dr Dre’s the Chronic when I was 12.

I can still remember everything about that day and it felt like I was coming into some sort of new world.

1st LP probably Gary Lewis and Playboys Greatest hits
45 Probably Jewel Akins Birds and the Bees
CD Byrds box set

^^^^ 45"s . Wow, I had hundreds of those. They were great when there was only the one song you liked from a band, or if you didn't have the money as a kid to buy the whole album.

The summer before sixth grade a buddy and I walked six miles to a Kmart. He bought something cool, like Boston or Speedwagon. I bought...🤣🤣🤣

Cruisin1978.jpg

We had never walked that far before and told no one that we were going. We misjudged how tired we would be and how long it would take to be able to make the return trip home.

My friend called his 19 year old cousin and she drove us home. Neither set of parents ever knew of that stunt.

High school freshman me bought...

il_680x540.3742291899_qyd1.jpg

And these people are probably still looking for me.

1*twVKv0btxWl2FYqj--TjOA.webp

I still have all of them.

I can’t tell you how many times my friends and I defrauded Columbia House in high school 😂

8 track - Kiss Alive!
Album - Styx Paradise Theatre
Cassette - Van Halen Diver Down
CD - Violent Femmes

Now my sister was 5 years older than me and helped me get these

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT